Realistic and Futuristic - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: One "M" better than Hamas!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Futuristic, Realistic, or Both?
Futuristic 13 31.71%
Realistic 0 0%
Hybrid/Both 28 68.29%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-29, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Graywolves
General

Realistic and Futuristic

We all know that some things from major title FPS games recently are going to find their way into Planetside in some form.

Offhand I don't recall if they said TTK would be significantly shorter.

The conflicts on Auraxis do take place rediculously far in the future though so there's obviously been plenty of time for an arm's race or development rather(since the TR has ruled for over 1k years). Better weapons, better armor, etc.

I guess in short I want it to still feel like I'm fighting in this wartorn future cut-off from real civilization. So the game shouldn't feel like a modern shooter but like something out of science fiction (for lack of better words right now.)

I'm mostly just curious what other people have to say about this. I personally want it to be realistic but in a futuristic way so a bit of both really.
Old 2011-08-29, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Re: Realistic and Futuristic

I want futuristic with realstic qualities.

I think they kinda nailed it in the little trailer we saw. It does have the future feel but like the TR for example, their armor is relatable in our armor concepts we've known. But overall I prefer futuristic over todays time. Love my Sci-fi
Old 2011-08-29, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Elude
First Sergeant

I agree the future is so much more inviting to inspiration, you can just do so much more with it. While I don't mind many modern aspects of the game to feature in it I would prefer that they lean more towards the futuristic side which they seem to already be doing.

I'm also fine with it being realistic so long as it's not game breaking, I very much dislike Arma 2 and Operation Flashpoint.
Old 2011-08-29, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I think most fans of science fiction literature, games, movies, etc would probably agree that the best, most engaging and emersive sci-fi experiences are usually when the world being presented is both impossible, yet explained well enough from a science and engineering perspective to potentially exist... one day.

Unfortunately, with a fast paced, instant-action, jump-in-and-play, style FPS... there is not a lot of room for long exposition into all the different futuristic technologies of Auraxis. As long as the futuristic stuff is not anything that we haven't seen before in popular Sci-Fi, i think it will be fine

Pulse rifles, hover tanks, jump jets and even teleporation are all fair game, for sure. Especially with the way they are still very much directing all this futuristic tech into a very familiar down-in-the-mud brutal front-lines setting, like something outta Saving Private Ryan, or some HBO WWII series

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-08-29, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

In the future, I hope they can make lasers and plasma-splash-damage-orbs on par with chain guns and shot guns. I vote both.
Old 2011-08-29, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Unfortunately, with a fast paced, instant-action, jump-in-and-play, style FPS... there is not a lot of room for long exposition into all the different futuristic technologies of Auraxis. As long as the futuristic stuff is not anything that we haven't seen before in popular Sci-Fi, i think it will be fine
Well they could have an Encyclopedia like Mass Effect (I'm not saying they should commit time to making it, but they could)
Mass Effect had an alarmingly deep fountain of background information, explaining everything from history to different biologies/customs of the species in the game to how the weapons/stuff work, but it never got in your way if you did not care for it

I hope the game will be more futuristic than the trailers suggest... The NC and TR weapons feel like a step back towards "present day" warfare, and the iron sights are quite jarring in a setting where soldiers have targeting implants. I hope it's just the low-end stuff and as you specialize you can replace it with more shiny stuff stuff

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-08-29 at 08:50 AM.
Old 2011-08-29, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
In the future, I hope they can make lasers and plasma-splash-damage-orbs on par with chain guns and shot guns. I vote both.
Do you honestly think the JackHammer is even on par with the MCG? Imo it isnt.
Old 2011-08-29, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Grimster
First Lieutenant

I am still quite fascinated how they in the future have to depend on iron sights on their guns to aim properly.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-08-29, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
I am still quite fascinated how they in the future have to depend on iron sights on their guns to aim properly.
Ya maybe we can have tracking bullets now XD
Old 2011-08-29, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sirisian
Colonel

I prefer science-fiction/futuristic. I don't really need a believable explanation for every feature that's added as long as it makes the game fun. Bringing up realism for a sci-fi game just makes it easy to throw out valid ideas instead of keeping an open mind to the impossible.

I'm just glad there aren't people on these forums saying to get rid of energy weapons.
Old 2011-08-29, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I voted 3...

But (or because) tbh futuristic and realistic are not mutually exclusive in this context.

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I prefer science-fiction/futuristic. I don't really need a believable explanation for every feature that's added as long as it makes the game fun. Bringing up realism for a sci-fi game just makes it easy to throw out valid ideas instead of keeping an open mind to the impossible.

I'm just glad there aren't people on these forums saying to get rid of energy weapons.
Do you consider telekinesis a valid idea? I guess no =) That's what does NOT count towards realistic.
For everything else there's Vanu with their "alien technology" excuse...

That's it - realism and futurism in the same box.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-08-29 at 11:29 AM.
Old 2011-08-29, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

I want to be able to use the bathroom in game.
Old 2011-08-29, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I want to be able to use the bathroom in game.
Yeah, same here, I always feel so dirty while playing PS... I mean my char hadn't bathed since 2006.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-29, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Your poll options are not mutually exclusive.
Old 2011-08-29, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I voted 3...
Do you consider telekinesis a valid idea? I guess no =) That's what does NOT count towards realistic.
For everything else there's Vanu with their "alien technology" excuse...

That's it - realism and futurism in the same box.
Implants allow that. How do you detect someone's health and display it as a bar? Telekinesis would definitely be a valid idea as long as it has a purpose. If it allowed players to create a telekinetic wall or push vehicles back depending on the skill upgrades on the implant it would definitely be awesome.

Does get a little border-line fantasy though, not that I'm fully against that.

//edit it would take a lot of stamina though. So if a plane came down to attack you then you could force push it back. I actually like that idea like a built in micro-EMP.

//edit 2 and we could have a mana pool er... the stamina bar and have healers... er medics... use it to cast... er release nanites to heal nearby friendlies for like 50 mana... er stamina.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-08-29 at 01:34 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion