Payment schemes - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Way, way better than Halo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-31, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Aractain
Major

Re: Payment schemes

One thing I have learned is that the amount you pay has no effect on making a community "better". The best communitys are in games where you are encoruaged to work together and like each other. As long as they arn't cheaters or big greifers/abuse merchants I want them in the game. I don't even care if they suck or if they are donkeys.
Old 2011-08-31, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Yeah i think id rather pay for the hours i play then per month. because i switch back and forth between games that i play all the time and buying few hours here and there or a large amount for a longer time would be nice. Also would keep people from afking for hours at a time loged in
Old 2011-08-31, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Reserves, means you played for free but couldn't go above br6, worked fine in planetside. Do it, best way to do things actually.
And hacking wont be an issue with active gms and proper anti cheat measures. After all, it was no issue during the reserves year.
Old 2011-08-31, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Okay random thought after reading through this. A few people brought up purchasable time. How did the people that mentioned it think that would work? The game has off-line training meaning it requires a fixed time to train skills. If someone purchases 100 hours of play-time are they allowed to train skills for 100 hours? When are those skills trained? Only when they are playing the game or can they sign in for an hour and then train skills for 100 hours and play for 99 hours with those unlocked skills?
offline training is irrelevent tbh, when you buy game time you're buying time connected to the server, the offline thing has a limit to it they said you need to log in once a day to queue stuff up. It's not like you can cheat the system and raise a char to max for zero money, you'd still need to play the char to get the br up and thus spend time connected
Old 2011-08-31, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Miir
Malvision

First I should say I'm not really against any type of payment idea. I like Dvidd's ideas.

What bothered me with the original Planetside was the fact that I didn't feel my money was going to good use. Back in 2003 everyone was coming from traditional MMO's where there was tons of content and you felt like you were getting a good value for your monthly fee. Then Planetside comes out and you payed a monthly fee for almost no content.

I'd rather pay for the box, pay for DLC or expansions then maybe have a minimum monthly fee something like 5 dollars a month. You can't compare this to a RPG type MMO so you shouldn't have to pay 15 dollars a month for it.

Preferably no monthly fee.
Old 2011-08-31, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
First I should say I'm not really against any type of payment idea. I like Dvidd's ideas.

What bothered me with the original Planetside was the fact that I didn't feel my money was going to good use. Back in 2003 everyone was coming from traditional MMO's where there was tons of content and you felt like you were getting a good value for your monthly fee. Then Planetside comes out and you payed a monthly fee for almost no content.

I'd rather pay for the box, pay for DLC or expansions then maybe have a minimum monthly fee something like 5 dollars a month. You can't compare this to a RPG type MMO so you shouldn't have to pay 15 dollars a month for it.

Preferably no monthly fee.
As much as I remain skeptical of SOEs capacity to not let this game fail due to neglect. In theory, the money should be going to this "3 year plan" they keep talking about.

The game is going to be a lot more in depth and keeping people interested this time around should be a top priority of theirs.

As much as we all do it, we can't compare the sequel to the original because minus the essentials they really won't have a whole hell of a lot in common.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-31, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I like to see...

1) Free-to-play. Some content may be restricted (certain classes/certs like commanders, outfit creation, cannot send /tells, etc). No limits on battle rank or anything that restricts the ability to play on any continent or battle. F2P players should be able to enjoy like 99% of PS2, within the reasonable restrictions outlined above which is mainly there to prevent spammers, hackers, abuse of communication, etc.

2) Premium. For those who pay some amount of money for digital goods, be it buying a boxed version of the game, etc. These accounts have a few more privileges than free-to-play. Can make one-time payments to unlock some stuff, but not everything.

3) VIP. Subscription-based, all content unlocked. Accelerated training/xp gain.

The above is tried-and-true successful F2P model. I think it would work great for PS2. No need to have trials or other stuff like that. Instead they can do specials/sales where certain goods are cheaper for a short period of time, enticements for people to get their friends to play, etc.
Old 2011-08-31, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Bags
Lieutenant General

Can we stop using the word "premium"? It doesn't have the greatest connotation. Reminds me of GunZ where "premium" items meant you had way more health and damage than everyone.
Old 2011-08-31, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Crator
Major General

It's just a word...
Old 2011-08-31, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Senyu
First Lieutenant

If they choose the 15/month subscription........

....you'll still play it.......
Old 2011-08-31, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Bags
Lieutenant General

And words have connotations.
Old 2011-08-31, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
It's just a word...
"Classes" is also just a word. Yet everyone thinks that it means that your character can be just one class, and that they fill roles like Tank, Healer, DPS etc...
Old 2011-08-31, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Bags
Lieutenant General

I want to play a Priest.
Old 2011-08-31, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Nay,

WARRIOR PRIEST!

R40 - Rell Hell :: closed beta to early year after WAR. RIP
Old 2011-08-31, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I like to see...

1) Free-to-play. Some content may be restricted (certain classes/certs like commanders, outfit creation, cannot send /tells, etc). No limits on battle rank or anything that restricts the ability to play on any continent or battle. F2P players should be able to enjoy like 99% of PS2, within the reasonable restrictions outlined above which is mainly there to prevent spammers, hackers, abuse of communication, etc.

2) Premium. For those who pay some amount of money for digital goods, be it buying a boxed version of the game, etc. These accounts have a few more privileges than free-to-play. Can make one-time payments to unlock some stuff, but not everything.

3) VIP. Subscription-based, all content unlocked. Accelerated training/xp gain.

The above is tried-and-true successful F2P model. I think it would work great for PS2. No need to have trials or other stuff like that. Instead they can do specials/sales where certain goods are cheaper for a short period of time, enticements for people to get their friends to play, etc.

Pretty much my feelings. I think the VIP should shoot for the $5/mo ballpark.

Ideally, F2P willl help keep the Pop high. Can't be a MMO without massive Pop.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion