Your PS1 Tricks and Secrets - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How did Hitler really loose that testicle?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2011-11-14, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Your PS1 Tricks and Secrets

With PS1 all but dead now and PS2's Beta soon...ish, is there anything in the original game you often did that you rarely if ever saw anyone else do to give yourself an edge or some easy kills?

Since it was NC week, and I was mainly NC, I've found myself remembering a lot of the fun times I had in PS (more so than usual ). Along with the great fights, people, ToDs, and other things, I remembered a few things I always did that I never saw anyone else do. And, with PS1 all but over idc if others know these now.

1. Ghost Dropping

When most people drop on a tower, they fly directly over it and bail. This makes the plane on the mini map "jump" a little completely giving away the fact that you just bailed on the tower. I would do it a bit differently, and often trick the people inside.

When you are inside a base/tower, the game automatically zooms your mini map all the way in, and most people wouldn't adjust this. I would come in at the flight ceiling well away from the tower, and turn hard away as I bailed so unless you zoomed your map all the way out, you wouldn't even see my plane. Then I'd pull out my gun to see where I'm falling (everyone knew that trick), but I would also immediately hit my surge (yes it worked while falling to redirect faster) and guide myself to the tower roof. On the enemies mini map if I showed up at all it was my dot coming in way from the side and they would assume I was on foot at the bottom. This allowed me to get the drop on people all the time. I always got tells of "were did you come from?" or "how did you get up there?"

2. Interilnk BD runs

Ever been bored, stuck on the outside of an Interfarm? Want some easy kills and a chance at breaking through a choke point? Go all the way up top to the Satellite Dish level and jump up on the railing looking at the door above the stairs (this is to keep you out of reach of any splash damage). Wait for a small fight to happen, then when your team dies/retreats and the inside team is reloading and trying to place new boomers, quickly pop your surge and go into the door. Take a U-turn into the lobby and immediately jump the railing to the first floor of the lobby and surge down the back hallway, then across to the back BD hallway. Just as you come up to the corner of the BD corridor, pull out your HA and enjoy the free kills. Usually can get 3-4 before anyone even realizes your behind them, and if you happened to time it with a strong BD push you might even crack the base. I could do this 3-4 times in a row before they would start watching for me, then I'd just wait 10 minutes or so and do it again

This works great because aside from maybe a few shots as you enter the door above the stairs there is nobody to shoot at you. Nobody in the lobby is watching the door you U-turn into, if anybody happened to be coming up the back lobby hallway (most used the stairs as it was faster to the lobby from the spawns) they didn't have their gun out, and nobody at the BD was watching their back. Also for whatever reason, nobody ever chased after me. It was just easy kills, and a chance to break the BD open.

I can't think of anymore atm, but is there any tricks you used that very few, if anybody else used?
Old 2011-11-14, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Your PS1 Tricks and Secrets

I do something akin to your back door trick at times. Either auto running with a Scatt down there or surging down with Agile. Both have gotten me many kills. Seems when I run down with my MAX there is always a guy with a Deci waiting for me due the coms going I think.
Old 2011-11-16, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I do something akin to your back door trick at times. Either auto running with a Scatt down there or surging down with Agile. Both have gotten me many kills. Seems when I run down with my MAX there is always a guy with a Deci waiting for me due the coms going I think.
This also works in reverse. If the enemy has taken the lobby and is pushing the stairs in an Interlink/DSC, auto-running in a MAX up the back hall and into the lobby will usually let you come in behind attackers pushing down the main stairs. This is especially effective as VS since you can jumpjet over any attackers pushing down the back hall and then jumpjet again from the lobby ground floor right up onto the balcony door at the top of the stairs.

One of my favorite MAX tricks that I almost never see anyone else do is to auto-run a Comet MAX out the back door of a base once the CY is lost and immediately turn and jumpjet onto the wall above. You can usually do this quickly enough to fly past any enemies at the BD and it gives you the opportunity to then attack any pre-selected targets you've identified in the CY before going outside (generally AMSes, routers, router pads, or vterms), either from the wall or by JJ'ing into the cy itself.

I've killed literally hundreds of targets-of-choice in this manner, even during Red Alerts in enemy poplock situations. This tactic works so well because it is so fast and unexpected. You're out the door and up on the walls out of reach before the BD attackers can hit you more than once or twice, and most of the time not even CE will damage you enough to kill you. And once you're on the wall or in the CY, most enemies in the CY itself won't even realize you're there until you've already taken out your target.

Usually only camping the BD with Reavers/libs/GGSes is effective enough to kill you before you can take out your target if it's anywhere near the BD-side of the CY. But even a single camping Reaver runs the risk of me killing him first and then moving on to my primary target..

And I gotta say, the jumpjet has always been seriously under-utilized by the VS...

Last edited by Erendil; 2011-11-16 at 04:14 AM.
Old 2011-11-17, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Traak
Colonel

The latest PS1 tactic that is necessary for survival as a cloaker or AMS operator is to not be in a squad, because that puts you on the map for the dual-empire players.

I last hours without a respawn as a lone cloaker. I have tended to last for minutes or seconds as a cloaker in a squad. Worse yet in a platoon.

You can't be in a squad and expect to not be on enemy screens, or being spotted by traitorspeak, or whatever.

I've been on the far end of a deserted continent and been found and killed while in a squad. I have raped half the gens on a similar continent while alone, and one of the devs actually stepped in and kicked me out of the game just as I was about to OS an ANT someone was using to refill a base I had drained, because no enemies could find me without me being in a squad. By the time I restarted the game, the base was filled.

So, yeah, not being in a squad, and having devs that can be fired for interfering would help survival in PS1.

Last edited by Traak; 2011-11-17 at 02:56 AM.
Old 2011-11-17, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
and one of the devs actually stepped in and kicked me out of the game just as I was about to OS an ANT someone was using to refill a base I had drained
Sounds like you had a random game bug that caused you to be kicked from the world, I've had it happen to me on more then 1 occasion. I HIGHLY doubt a dev would log in just to kick someone just for draining bases, even if it just griefing the player base.

Random tips huh. I know a lot of exploits some handy, some not.

But non-exploits, I often use sensor shield to confuse people as to my actual location, if I know I'm on radar (interlink, mossie radar, audio amp), I'll move to one location, then flip on sensor shield and move to another, typically somewhere I can obtain the advantage on 1 or more individuals.

If I'm low on health and being chased by someone, I often take the boomer in my inventory and place it somewhere they can't see it directly, but letting them see me place it via the green dust of the boomers formation. I however, keep running (unless I'm on radar), and destroy the boomer trigger, this causes them to throw 3-4 jammers at a boomer that no longer exists, buying me time to heal.

There's all sorts of things that I could list, but I don't play PS often enough to remember everything.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2011-11-17, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
I HIGHLY doubt a dev would log in just to kick someone just for draining bases, even if it just griefing the player base.
The player who I was going to OS told me that it sounded like that dev was watching out for him again. He implied it had happened on more than one occasion, by this dev, on behalf of the NC, specifically himself.

Old 2011-11-17, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
I would go down to the caves of an enemy lock and place 4 or 5 mines in the tightest spot of the "entry" then a spitfire behind a rock (i have specific places for each cave.) and start a hack and farm kills. Cheap but legit.

I would drive an ant into an enemy base aiming for mines to get the health down, jump out and rocket rifle the thing from a hallway door, that was a pretty easy way to get kills... although sometimes it didnt ocunt as "my kill".

(this one is completely illigetimate..)

I could use a router pad and launch myself into an enemy capital, throw a hand grenade down hurting myself a bit and make a hot spot INSIDE the capital, then I run heal, run and do it again about 30 feet away.. rinse repeat for about 30 - 40 seconds and go inside the base, standing so the door is obvioulsy open in T mode with a boomer.. and farm the people wondering wtf is going on..... you'd be amazed at how many fucking people come to 'secure' and uncappable base.

Before they shut Planetside off, I will show everyone who wants to know (and you will get banned off the game....) how to get into enemy sancs, i found a way years ago and never told anyone so i could do it when i wanted to.... getting out is a bitch though.
PM me. I will trade you the way to get into capitol domes.
Old 2011-11-17, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I can already see Traak declaring himself lord of the Sanctuaries.
Old 2011-11-17, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I can already see Traak declaring himself lord of the Sanctuaries.
Followed by the .0003 seconds "fastest ban in the history of Planetside?"
Old 2011-11-17, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Followed by the .0003 seconds "fastest ban in the history of Planetside?"
Well seeing as how it takes them ages to ban a hacker. You should be able to reign over your domain for longer then that.
Old 2011-11-17, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Traak
Colonel

I heard they are leaping on people for stuff they have been doing for years, such as cussing in command chat and such, more, lately, from a guy on this forum who got banned by Sony.
Old 2011-11-17, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Draep
Master Sergeant

I was a BFR guy for a while. BFRs were the best for most bridge battles because they usually could run the whole distance of the river underwater. Teams of us would often surprise the enemies on the other side. If you were hurt, you just ran back underwater to the other side.

In order to instantly stop a BFR in run mode....hmm can't remember this one too good but you would press back (to bring it out of run) then hit the run button again and then hit back again. Sounds complicated, but you could do it real fast and it scored me an insane amount of kills just by being able to stop on a dime and shoot at something.

Before BFRs, I was a prowler driver. Remember that in a stand-up slugfest where both parties are 100% accurate, the prowler will always win, even without the secondary gunner.

One time my prowler accidently got infinite health for 10 or 15 minutes and I racked up a ton of kills. Zer0Enigma taught me to Rexo surge up the stairs of a tower, heal, then start fighting your way down. For some reason, people would rarely come after us, almost as if they forgot we just surged past them.
Old 2011-11-17, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Anyone here remember Reaver sledding? It wasn't so much a trick as it was a bug, but aside from perhaps potentially being used to warp aircraft inside of a base, it didn't give too much tactical advantage either.

It doesn't work anymore either, undoubtedly taken out to prevent those warping exploits. A shame it could be exploited like that too, because it was a load of fun.

All you had to do was hit the afterburners right as you were about to touch the ground while landing an aircraft. Instead of coming to a gentle stop, you would bounce into the air as a rogue physics object. If you hit any kind of slightly sloped surface when you came down, you could sled your way all the way down some crazy hills.

I remember one day on I think it was Forseral, where me and several friends started Reaver sledding in the middle of a battle and we ended up getting a bunch of other people to start watching and joining in.
Old 2011-11-17, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Anyone here remember Reaver sledding? It wasn't so much a trick as it was a bug, but aside from perhaps potentially being used to warp aircraft inside of a base, it didn't give too much tactical advantage either.

It doesn't work anymore either, undoubtedly taken out to prevent those warping exploits. A shame it could be exploited like that too, because it was a load of fun.

All you had to do was hit the afterburners right as you were about to touch the ground while landing an aircraft. Instead of coming to a gentle stop, you would bounce into the air as a rogue physics object. If you hit any kind of slightly sloped surface when you came down, you could sled your way all the way down some crazy hills.

I remember one day on I think it was Forseral, where me and several friends started Reaver sledding in the middle of a battle and we ended up getting a bunch of other people to start watching and joining in.
You can still do it in any aircraft. I don't know about the whole warping in a building thing, but you can still 'sled'.
Old 2011-11-17, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Crator
Major General

On the bottom levels and mid levels of bases you can place motion alarm sensors in the cracks of the ceiling so that they cannot be seen.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion