Accomodation for Colorblind Players? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shucks.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-27, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Re: Accomodation for Colorblind Players?

I support this , I'm not colorblind but I'd hate to think how confusing it would be for someone who is. Just think of all the customisations :zebra/camo etc and it must be a nightmare.
Old 2012-06-27, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Angry Beaver
Private

As a developer (for other stuff) myself can I ask the colour-blinds a question or two.

Colours are intrinsically linked to emotion and when thinking about Art Direction the palette involved means a lot. Red is used for things like passion and rage, green fo sickly or fresh depending upon the tint. So my question is do you have different colours that inspire different emotions when compared to the rest of the population? Would you consider what most people call 'orange' a passionate colour for example? I wouldn't consider it passionate myself but I'm basically asking "What would I need to do with my colour choices to ensure you got the same quality of emotion from my work as everyone else?"
Old 2012-06-27, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Heh, I remember when this was discussed on the official PS1 forums. IIRC I made the post about the alternate UI colors because an outfit mate couldn't tell one nametag color from another, but I was yelled at for saying "colorblind" and was told to use "color deficient" instead.

I'm glad that it will be a focus in PS2. I'm sure there are ways to modify palettes in realtime to adjust what the player actually sees. I'm not color deficient myself, but I always changed enemy nametags to pink for hilarious results.
Old 2012-06-27, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Aerothorn
Private

Thanks for the response, RaderX! I figured this issue on your radar (no pun intended) but wanted to make sure. I'm sure I'll have feedback during the beta on whatever solutions you have implemented and will do my best to come up with some improvements.

Originally Posted by Angry Beaver View Post
As a developer (for other stuff) myself can I ask the colour-blinds a question or two.

Colours are intrinsically linked to emotion and when thinking about Art Direction the palette involved means a lot. Red is used for things like passion and rage, green fo sickly or fresh depending upon the tint. So my question is do you have different colours that inspire different emotions when compared to the rest of the population? Would you consider what most people call 'orange' a passionate colour for example? I wouldn't consider it passionate myself but I'm basically asking "What would I need to do with my colour choices to ensure you got the same quality of emotion from my work as everyone else?"
This is a great question, Beaver! The short answer is that there is a range of colorblindness that manifest in different ways, but for most colorblind people we actually can see colors with the same intensity, just less distinct. The typical human is capable of discerning a HUGE amount of different colors (I can't remember the exact number) and we just don't see the distinctions, or almost not distinction, between very similar colors (yellow and bright green, purple and dark blue, etc.)

So I guess it depends on the subtlely of what your color scheme. There are definitely subtle differences that colorblind people are just going to miss; but I think the basics of human psychology still apply (red is danger, blue is calming, yellow is alarming, etc).

I will say, orange is my favorite color partially because it is the most distinct for my color range; I can always tell bright orange apart from everything.
Old 2012-06-27, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
morf
First Sergeant

Like about 10-12% of caucasian males, I'm red/green colorblind. I didnt even know about it until i was like 20... there's a lot of misconceptions about it. We can actually see colors, including red and green and the emotional response is the same. The problem is distinguishing among colors that have just a low saturation of either red or green. So for example, the problem with PS1 was that the VS is purple, which is a mix between red and blue. Since there is a low saturation of red, it becomes very hard to pick up the red and it starts to look just like straight blue. Even if there was a blue sitting right next to it, it would take a few seconds of staring to pick out which one is purple.

This pretty much forced me to play TR since i had trouble distinguishing between NC and VS. I can see red, I can see green, i just can't see them when they are hidden in another color. When I loaded up my NC toon to play with the phoenix, it was like i was suddenly thrust into some sadistic game show called "AURORA OR THUNDERERRRRR" - complete with flashing lights and a buzzer to let me know when i fucked up.
Old 2012-06-27, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by morf View Post
some sadistic game show called "AURORA OR THUNDERERRRRR" - complete with flashing lights and a buzzer to let me know when i fucked up.
This made me laugh. My step-brother's in the same position, except he wanted to play with me and I was already NC... He ended up not playing for long.
Old 2012-06-27, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Im colorblind, 47 years of it... the color"blind" is a misnomer, we are rarely so absent the color as to be "blind". We get the culturistic nuances of color, we just confuse certain colors, due to intensity of the culprit color, red/green being the most common. For instance a stop light could never fool me... rearrange them or not, I'll know when to keep going, be careful, or hit the gas as hard as possible to make it...

So, I would just say, be careful with a few shades that confuse, and use more intensity with red and green. Some colorblind folks actually think peanut butter is green, and some like myself see the old traffic lights as red, yellow, white... and the new ones as red, yellow, minty green. Just be careful when using confusing colors, like dark orange/brown, blue/purple (w/out enough red in it), light green/yellow, some blueish greens will even look industrial gray.

On another note... there exists some evolutionary arguementation that anything inherited above 5% consistently, in a population (human males, the hunters, are at 9%) is an indicator of an evolutionary advantage... For instance, colorblind folks are not fooled by camoflage as much. Or, so army research indicates, and in my experience does hold true. In the natural world its been observed to be the same. So, dont look at color blindness as a disability, it isnt, necessarily.

So, who knows... all of us colorblind folks are just... better hunters. Keep wearing your camo TR and NC, I'll be hunting...

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-06-27 at 06:56 PM.
Old 2012-06-27, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

When I loaded up my NC toon to play with the phoenix, it was like i was suddenly thrust into some sadistic game show called "AURORA OR THUNDERERRRRR" - complete with flashing lights and a buzzer to let me know when i fucked up.

The sad thing is, I remember getting hit a few times with AV as a driver or gunner by other NC, and I remember yelling "Dude, are you BLIND?!"

Now I feel kinda bad about that. Colorblind just never occurred to me.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-27, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
We are going to do everything we can manage to ensure colorblind players are able to enjoy the game just as much.
Just keep sticking all that camoflage in there... I'll put my evolutionary advantage to good use

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-06-27, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

I put colorblindness in the same handicap category as slow reflexes. People should just deal with it and adapt. What's next? Aimbots for the old and slow?
Old 2012-06-27, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
duomaxwl
Captain

Woot!
I'm colorblind, and combined with crappy vision sometimes I'll shoot green names instead of red if the target is off in the distance. It shouldn't be so much of an issue in PS2 since most vehicles seem to be empire specific now (mostly air stuff,) but it's still a nice feature to have.
Old 2012-06-27, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NMnine
Private

Like about 10-12% of caucasian males, I'm red/green colorblind. I didnt even know about it until i was like 20... there's a lot of misconceptions about it. We can actually see colors, including red and green and the emotional response is the same. The problem is distinguishing among colors that have just a low saturation of either red or green. So for example, the problem with PS1 was that the VS is purple, which is a mix between red and blue. Since there is a low saturation of red, it becomes very hard to pick up the red and it starts to look just like straight blue. Even if there was a blue sitting right next to it, it would take a few seconds of staring to pick out which one is purple.

This pretty much forced me to play TR since i had trouble distinguishing between NC and VS. I can see red, I can see green, i just can't see them when they are hidden in another color. When I loaded up my NC toon to play with the phoenix, it was like i was suddenly thrust into some sadistic game show called "AURORA OR THUNDERERRRRR" - complete with flashing lights and a buzzer to let me know when i fucked up.
Yeah same here, even though I will always be playing NC. The problem would easily be solved if we had the ability to change either the NC primary colour from Blue to Yellow or the VS colour from Purple to Teal.

I don't think it will be as hard as in PS1 though since the silhouettes of the different factions troops and vehicles seem to be more distinct this time around. It was nice that you could change nameplate colours to whatever you wanted in PS1.

The only two games that gave me serious trouble in this department were Bad Company 2 (before colourblind mode was added) and League of Legends (also before its was added).
Old 2012-06-28, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
none
Corporal

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
I put colorblindness in the same handicap category as slow reflexes. People should just deal with it and adapt. What's next? Aimbots for the old and slow?
wat...
Old 2012-06-28, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

You're trolling right?

Adapt? How do you adapt to something when you cannot see it? I suppose they're supposed to just guess what faction common pool vehicles are, or whether dots on the minimap are friend or foe?

I notice you seem to be handicapped with stupidity. I'm curious, are posts like yours an indication of how you've learned to adapt?

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-06-28 at 12:30 AM.
Old 2012-06-28, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
SKYeXile
Major General

WOW...

anyway...i thought they were allowing custom mods...thats may help...otherwise you maybe stuck playing a particular faction depending on what part of the spectrum you can/cant see.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion