reaver landing gear - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You have Been awareded 100 BEP for visiting this site for the first time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-30, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Re: reaver landing gear

Maybe the pull of gravity is less on Auraxis then it is on Earth. Therefor the vehicle is able to keep its ass off the ground even though it is not balanced. Think about it,does the Galaxy really look like it would ever get off the ground in normal Earth Gravity?

Either that,or when they are about to land some dude comes out and throws a chock block under the tail.lol.

Maybe they have mid air refueling from a Galaxy available so they never need to land.
Old 2012-06-30, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Fingers crossed that Scythe has no landing gear.

Everything must hover. EVERYTHING.
I asked Tray about this way back, he said something along the lines of "Don't worry man I got this"
Old 2012-06-30, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Solidblock
Staff Sergeant

Typical T-Ray response haha!
Old 2012-06-30, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Bonus points if I can ride the Scythe around on the ground lake a Magrider while it's in in landing mode.
Old 2012-06-30, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
I asked Tray about this way back, he said something along the lines of "Don't worry man I got this"

That's just awesome.

Old 2012-06-30, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by FINALCUT View Post
Maybe the pull of gravity is less on Auraxis then it is on Earth. Therefor the vehicle is able to keep its ass off the ground even though it is not balanced. Think about it,does the Galaxy really look like it would ever get off the ground in normal Earth Gravity?

Either that,or when they are about to land some dude comes out and throws a chock block under the tail.lol.

Maybe they have mid air refueling from a Galaxy available so they never need to land.
Seriously? The sheer lack of gravity required to make that thing physically capable of standing would be VERY noticeable. Debris would fall far slower, drop times would be pathetically dragging, and bullet drop would practically no longer be a problem besides absolutely extreme ranges. And yeah, the galaxy does look like it's capable of flying, considering it's innards are hollow to fit troops and MAXs inside!
Old 2012-06-30, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Murkie
Corporal

I don't know how accurate the video on youtube is now but that clearly shows the tail of the Reaver doubling as the part of the tricycle landing gear

47 secs in -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dBwCE3EtUVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 2012-06-30, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Nemises
Sergeant

yep, looks like there is a mini skid on the tail..

PS, you fools are just jealous...NC have BY FAR the coolest gear :P
-Reaver (basically a hybrid AH64 / Aliens dropship )
-Vanguard
-NC Max (Basically a hybrid Tractor / Power armour)

I think the Reaver looks BAD ASS
Old 2012-06-30, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
Seriously? The sheer lack of gravity required to make that thing physically capable of standing would be VERY noticeable. Debris would fall far slower, drop times would be pathetically dragging, and bullet drop would practically no longer be a problem besides absolutely extreme ranges. And yeah, the galaxy does look like it's capable of flying, considering it's innards are hollow to fit troops and MAXs inside!
Yea, I was making some comedy there about the gravity,but you gotta admit,the Galaxy does look like a flying cow.
Old 2012-06-30, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Vexus
Private

I think the Reaver looks badass too. In fact, I much prefer the tail up without the tail skid. If physics bugs ya, just move the location of the two bird-feet landing gear slightly towards the rear and find a balance point.

Sheesh, when one faction gets 100% hovering tanks and jets with inertial dampeners, why would you quibble with a badass looking model for the faction of leftover & experimental parts/crafts. Lots of experimental craft have crazy looks.

Last edited by Vexus; 2012-06-30 at 08:37 PM.
Old 2012-06-30, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
RSphil
Contributor
Major

id say they are still tweeking the looks. dont forget the tail has not long been moded to be ontop. if you remember all the old pics of the reaver had the tail below which would have acted as a tail support. id say they will move the landing gear so it is in the center of gravity. all work in progress peeps
Old 2012-06-30, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Pancake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Murkie View Post
I don't know how accurate the video on youtube is now but that clearly shows the tail of the Reaver doubling as the part of the tricycle landing gear
This video is from last year. The OP noticed a recent change to the design of the tail piece.

I personally think the under-slung vertical stabilizer looked cooler and more futuristic. Why revert to a conventional design in a sci-fi game?
Old 2012-06-30, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
This video is from last year. The OP noticed a recent change to the design of the tail piece.

I personally think the under-slung vertical stabilizer looked cooler and more futuristic. Why revert to a conventional design in a sci-fi game?
this is true. i made a thread about this a few weeks back after noticing the change. i actually liked it how it was better. made more sense and looked far better. not really sure why they changed it. could be a question to ask on the next auraxis show which is soon
Old 2012-07-01, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ainte
Private

Originally Posted by RSphil View Post
this is true. i made a thread about this a few weeks back after noticing the change. i actually liked it how it was better. made more sense and looked far better. not really sure why they changed it. could be a question to ask on the next auraxis show which is soon
I really want them to revert all those changes, but it seems like lots of people here actually like current design so maybe just add old reaver as a skin so i can totally buy it.
Old 2012-07-01, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Nemises
Sergeant

...well, its a model, not a skin, so unlikely..

if you check out a Huey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_UH-1_Iroquois) , you'll see a configuration with skids and no tail castor / skid..

admitedly the skids are WAAY bigger, but we don't know the weight distribution of the Reaver yet, and besides, I trust the awesome SOE designers / artists (@tray) to do and awesome job of making the reaver look like a flying piece of hurt as it should
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion