What's the point of the Lightning? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than the Official Fourms
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-20, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Qwan
Captain

Re: What's the point of the Lightning?

Its faster than the MBT, this is true, but I have not invested any certs into mine, exept the armor, and the speed chasi. Whats the point you say, and I think I speak for most lightning drivers, its good for squishing people, I get more kills when I drive up, on a sundy and squish as many enemy as I can (before I die), then I get from shooting at a group around a sundy. So simply put the lightning makes a great battering ram, I rarely use its gun to kill. This is the face that I usually see when I roll up

Last edited by Qwan; 2013-05-20 at 05:57 AM.
Old 2013-05-20, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Deadeye
Sergeant

Lightening is great at hit and run attacks and HE lightning is the best AI vehicle setup in the game. The reasons people pick them are the same reasons people pick medium and light tanks in world of tanks. We don't mind losing a bit of firepower in exchange for speed and maneuverability.

Now, a lightning may not be able to go head to head against an MBT (in general, I've done it many times) but many an inattentive magrider and prowler has found a HEAT shell in their butt thanks to me.
Old 2013-05-20, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
ringring
Contributor
General

More accurate than a prowler.
Old 2013-05-20, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Why roll a Lightning when you can roll an MBT?
If you are NC the lightning is far better than the vanguard.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-05-20, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Varsam
Staff Sergeant

Because the mag is craptastic solo, and I'd take 2 competent lightnings over 1 crewed mag any day.
Old 2013-05-20, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Aiden
Private

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
No it does seem redundant.

But it does seem like you have contrived a fake point as a way to have yet another thread whining about the MBT driver.gunner arrangement.
I hope it didn't come off that way. I don't mind the current MBT setup, at all. Solo MBTs are fine by me.

I just don't think that 50 resources, some speed, and an extra gunner seat is enough to separate a light tank from an MBT. They're too similar, and one feels like an upgrade to the other, rather than a separate vehicle that serves a distinct purpose.
Old 2013-05-20, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Aiden
Private

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
More accurate than a prowler.
Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
If you are NC the lightning is far better than the vanguard.
Originally Posted by Varsam View Post
Because the mag is craptastic solo, and I'd take 2 competent lightnings over 1 crewed mag any day.
If this is all true, then these are all pretty significant design flaws with the MBTs.
Old 2013-05-20, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I like the Lightning. However, I think it needs some changes-improvements.
1) Mobility; it should climb & cross-navigate steep terrain far better. It should be an excellent rock-crawler with good speed on the flatlands as well. A true hit-and-run vehicle.
2) Stability; power slide turns are fine, but the flip-happiness is BS.
3) Roles: Skyguard needs a buff. ....and, add a small Missile-Bank that works as medium-range mortar rounds. Perhaps require someone with a Laze to "paint" targets for you.

I want the Lightning to be a highly mobile Sniping platform. ROF seems a little slow between shots. This could use a small buff & a Reload Speed option in the Cert Tree as well. Keep the armor thin.

MBT stays the same ... so 1-man-army types have their toy. Ideally, a REAL TANK would have a dedicated driver, better armor, and better primary & 2ndary than current MBT. Improve the Lightning, and bring in a dedicated 3-Crew (w/dedicated driver) Heavy Tank and the current MBT would become semi-obsolete .... which I'd prefer.

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-05-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 2013-05-20, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
AThreatToYou
Major

To the above poster, the Lightning has a serious problem in that its treads are almost entirely inside of the tank. Nothing that looks even remotely like the Lightning would be accepted as a wartime vehicle.

Suggestion: Give the tank an actual suspension [requires a remodel]. Then it can stay mobile, stay stable, and it will have a better role as a vehicle able to cross rugged terrain.

PS1 Lightning had a great suspension, making it able to cross rough terrain ezpz. Then again that's bringing up an old game, where the Lightning was almost useless.

(a point I'd like to bring up is that all the tanks in PS2, aside from the magrider, have essentially no suspension ...)
Old 2013-05-20, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Main purpose: Getting stuck in all those ditches which are of the exact size for the Lightning to no longer have any traction. It's like they put them there on purpose...

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2013-05-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 2013-05-20, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
KodanBlack
Sergeant

Though I have more time in the Magrider, as I usually roll with my buddy, I absolutely love the Lightning with its definite speed advantage, and low profile. They are exceptionally good in rapid strikes against an opponent's flanks, or hit and run tactics where a good degree of firepower is needed.
Old 2013-05-20, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
VaderDSL
Private

I love the AP lightning for anti-harasser work.

With the turny chassis upgrade it's pretty darn nimble as well.
Old 2013-05-20, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Javelin
Private

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
Main purpose: Getting stuck in all those ditches which are of the exact size for the Lightning to no longer have any traction. It's like they put them there on purpose...

Too bad there isn't a deploy function on the Lightning that allowed us to do this :

Old 2013-05-20, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Narrack
Private

I love the lightning i think its the *best* tank in the whole game! before the tank buffs i used to hunt MBTs with it as you could out turn them and stay ahead of their main gun if they were solo.
Also you can get the tank in tight nooks and crannies where people don't expect to face a tank as it can fit up all the outdoor steps and in most small gaps barely 2 infantry wide.
The armour may be paper thin but its easy to dodge because of the speed.
Old 2013-05-21, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
DeltaGun
Sergeant

Because it is faster and more maneuverable than the Magrider, ans is a much smaller target with virtually the same DPS solo.

Last edited by DeltaGun; 2013-05-21 at 12:16 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion