How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stop attacking the generator!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-18, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
JoCool
Corporal

Re: How PhysX runs on Nvidia and AMD (ATI) systems

What amazes me is how people that own AMD cards seem to not be okay with the game having a GPU-based PhysX support. Why?

Because for those with AMD, it would not change the game. They can go without it. As do I, until I have upgraded.
It just annoys those to have a visual disadvantage or worse FPS with GPU-based PhysX compared to NVIDIA users. And they don't even grant those NVIDIA users to play the game with their gpu's inheritent advantages? One that is one of the reasons why they chose their NVIDIA card over a cheaper AMD one. Like jealous little girls!

I actually do not even think of it as funny, the behavior portrayed by some (unmentioned) forum members inhere is downright shameful.

So you better damn give the game PhysX effects, great ones, give it all the more beauty, use the features at your disposal.

And those who have a card that does not support it, switch it off or go with worse FPS and shut up the whining about it. Seriously guys. You chose that Amd card for better performance/price.
Old 2012-08-18, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

i just want to see what i could be missing out on and that's not going to be done until water is in the game.

Last edited by Masterr; 2012-08-18 at 12:14 PM.
Old 2012-08-18, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Originally Posted by JoCool View Post
What amazes me is how people that own AMD cards seem to not be okay with the game having a GPU-based PhysX support. Why?

Because for those with AMD, it would not change the game. They can go without it. As do I, until I have upgraded.
It just annoys those to have a visual disadvantage or worse FPS with GPU-based PhysX compared to NVIDIA users. And they don't even grant those NVIDIA users to play the game with their gpu's inheritent advantages? One that is one of the reasons why they chose their NVIDIA card over a cheaper AMD one. Like jealous little girls!

I actually do not even think of it as funny, the behavior portrayed by some (unmentioned) forum members inhere is downright shameful.

So you better damn give the game PhysX effects, great ones, give it all the more beauty, use the features at your disposal.

And those who have a card that does not support it, switch it off or go with worse FPS and shut up the whining about it. Seriously guys. You chose that AMD card for better performance/price.
I see where AMD users are coming from, honestly. They bought a card that probably has better price/performance than an nVidia card (as AMD is kind of dominating the low/mid-range right now) and are disappointed that PS2 decided to go with nVidia bias. It is out of their control but affects them quite a bit, which is frustrating for almost anyone. I am an nVidia user but still feel some of their pain as I would not want the tables to be switched with a bias towards compute functions AMD cards excel at, for instance.
Old 2012-08-18, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
julfo
Sergeant

And those who have a card that does not support it, switch it off or go with worse FPS and shut up the whining about it. Seriously guys. You chose that Amd card for better performance/price.
You feel comfortable right now with your nVidia card. But I suspect you would be even a slight bit upset if the devs chose to implement something biased towards AMD.

Besides that fact, people should be able to think whatever they damn well choose without having judgment passed on them. Just because you own a different brand of graphics card (that costs more for negligible benefit, I might add) does not empower you to tell others what they should or should not do. I find THAT behaviour shameful.

This statement, on the other hand, is petty, vindictive, and childish, especially coming from one who professes to be shocked at 'shameful' behaviour.
Old 2012-08-18, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Entitled much?

You don't hear me screaming how they need to build in Havoc support.

Originally Posted by JawsOfLife View Post
They bought a card that probably has better price/performance than an nVidia card (as AMD is kind of dominating the low/mid-range right now) .
^This...

The 6850 is hands down best bang for your buck card right now. I even threw it into an Intel system (CPU's I was comparing were comparable, boards that supported SLI/XFire cost too much more than the one I got so that wasn't an issue, and the i5/i7's are a better upgrade option than AMD's bulldozers)

That said, I'm not "upset" that PS2 will support PhysX, so long as they give the best CPU PhysX support they can.

As I also mentioned, those extra gfx that GPU enabled PhysX users end up getting will likely actually hamper their ability to see rather than allow them to see enemies easier. It's easily worth it tho IMO to have realistic flapping flags, and explosions with more realistic dust particle debris.
Old 2012-08-18, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
JoCool
Corporal

My card is low end and thus too slow to play Planetside 2 with PhysX. There you see where I am coming from.
Old 2012-08-18, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
I think this video show it best how a game is experienced with PhysX on Vs PhysX off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xRJt8rcmY

But you can run PhysX on a ATI card too with some work... http://www.overclock.net/t/591872/ho...with-ati-cards
Cool video!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-18, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Nvidia intentionally uses outdated x87 (modern processors are not optimized for them) instructions in the CPU version of PhysX rather than SSE instructions, which run very fast on CPUs from within the last 7-8 years. They do this to artificially slow down the CPU implementation to make it look like their GPUs are much better than CPUs at physics simulation, when in reality, you can get comparable results from using a competing physics library on a spare CPU core.
Old 2012-08-18, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by fb III IX ca IV View Post
Nvidia intentionally uses outdated x87 (modern processors are not optimized for them) instructions in the CPU version of PhysX rather than SSE instructions, which run very fast on CPUs from within the last 7-8 years. They do this to artificially slow down the CPU implementation to make it look like their GPUs are much better than CPUs at physics simulation, when in reality, you can get comparable results from using a competing physics library on a spare CPU core.
in other words....

I can hack better PhysX on my CPU?

dats ossum
Old 2012-08-18, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
in other words....

I can hack better PhysX on my CPU?

dats ossum
How to get better physX performance with cpu?! TO THE INTERNET!!!
Old 2012-08-18, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Originally Posted by fb III IX ca IV View Post
With no sources cited I have to say you have no credibility with this claim in my book. Nothing personal, it's just I could say "Well actually nVidia has completely optimized PhysX to run well on CPU and their GPU's really are that much better!" and we'd cancel each other out until some actual data came into play.

Cheers
Old 2012-08-19, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
zomg
Staff Sergeant

So is the complaint here that nvidia users are going to get GPU accelerated physics, and others will need to use CPU? Rather than say with Havok, everyone would be getting CPU based physics?

It seems to me that the issue people have with this is that they think it's unfair that someone has a different computer than they do.
Old 2012-08-19, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by zomg View Post
So is the complaint here that nvidia users are going to get GPU accelerated physics, and others will need to use CPU? Rather than say with Havok, everyone would be getting CPU based physics?

It seems to me that the issue people have with this is that they think it's unfair that someone has a different computer than they do.
The issue here is that PhysX has lousy CPU implementation and there are far better physics engines that run on the CPU. To use PhysX is to intentionally snub like half of your player base.

Last edited by artifice; 2012-08-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 2012-08-19, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
julfo
Sergeant

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
The issue here is that PhysX has lousy CPU implementation and there are far better physics engines that run on the CPU. To use PhysX is to intentionally snub like half of your player base.
This.
Old 2012-08-19, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
TheMozFather
Private

AMD - No PhysX (or have it run on the CPU and dramatically reduce FPS)
nVidia - PhysX (run on GPU)

Right?

I can understand how this is such a ball ache for some people.

Although, can i ask one simple question?

Does having PhysX run on a nVidia GPU reduce the FPS as opposed to not running PhysX on a nVidia GPU. I understand that you can switch it off/on with either AMD/nVidia cards. Although on AMD cards you're limited to only running it on the CPU, which to my knowledge is not advised.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion