Improved in-game voice chat. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hotter than the girl next door.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-01, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
I Hate Pants
General

Improved in-game voice chat.

This is something I would like to see corrected some time later. Currently we all know that the in-game PS voice chat blows. We all use TS or other crap like that. But I never really liked using those programs. Its such a hassel to have to find the server and get the password. People around you in the game can't even hear you.

If anyone here has played a half life mod they know what im talking about. I want it so you can just get accepted into a squad and then you can start chatting right there. No searching for server and speaking to the same people all the time.
Here is a list for what I think the voice chat system should be like and Hamma can gladly ask the devs on Nov. 13 about improving the voice chat.

1. Any player can speak to anyone around them. The further you are the harder it is to hear them.
2. Any player can broadcast voice messages to other squad or platoon members.
3. Cr.4 and 5 players can broadcast voice messages to an entire continent.
4. Cr.4 and 5 players can make a list of other Cr. 4 and 5 players they would like to keep in touch with so they can speak to each other and see how things are doing from where ever it is they are.

Just a few ideas that would sure increase team play and game play by 10 folds. No server searching. People who can't talk because they don't have a mic can still hear other players.

Feel free to make your own corrections. Its better to have more than just one head coming up with these ideas.

And Hamma if you guys could ask the devs about this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by I Hate Pants; 2003-11-01 at 10:09 PM.
Old 2003-11-02, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Acaila
First Lieutenant

Well you would have to add the option to either be in it or not in it. I personally will never be in that, I will remain on TS with my outfit as those are the only people I want to hear in game. Enough spamming goes on as it is, it would be a nightmare having local chat coming out your speakers.

If people so badly want to be heard, make them type, it is alot more effort than speaking. I made the mistake of entering a voice-con on a random squad on Emerald. 2 people didn't realise that you don't need to have your mic open all the time, 1 guy kept saying crap about his made-up gf, another guy gave specific details about everything that was going on in his game; right down to "I am running up the stairs, I am running towards the front door, there is a MAX here, I am getting out my decimator, he is shooting me, I am dead, I am respawning...." just fucking shutup asshole, there is a massive enemy force in the base and MAXs are usually around when that happens.

The main problem with the voice-con in ps is not it's capabilities (though they are extremely limited) it is the shit codec they use, the bugged send and recieve button and the number of assholes who play this game besides me. We hate our own.
Old 2003-11-02, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I agree that squad/platoon voicechat needs work, but as for 'hearing people around you' it would be ridiculously bandwidth-intensive and completely impractical. Imagine having to download the voice-streams, no matter how faint, of 200 people, and each of them doing the exact same thing. It's a nightmare.

But as for in-squad/platoon chat, I think they have a lot of room to improve.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-02, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
I Hate Pants
General

Well what if they made some sorta anti spam for the local chat? Only being able to speak locally for so long and then having to wait to be able to speak again locally.
Old 2003-11-02, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Non-issue for me. The people I want to hear and need to hear to coordinate effectivley I can through my outfits dedicated TS server.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-11-02, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BUGGER�GHO�T
Major

I dont really like the 1-5 options. I just think you should be able to have at least a outfit chat because thats hwere TS is used the most.
Old 2003-11-02, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Doppler
Contributor
Major

I've said it before and i'll say it again. SOE should just license teamspeak and be able to run it in game, let people invite other people to servers in game and such, let them set up servers tied to their outfits and what not. Basicly keep all the thigns that make TS good but integrate it into PS and scrap the existing client/

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-11-02, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BUGGER�GHO�T
Major

Never heard that one, but I like it!
Old 2003-11-02, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Aen
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Doppler
I've said it before and i'll say it again. SOE should just license teamspeak and be able to run it in game, let people invite other people to servers in game and such, let them set up servers tied to their outfits and what not. Basicly keep all the thigns that make TS good but integrate it into PS and scrap the existing client/
Awesome. I agree.
Old 2003-11-03, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
keaoi
Master Sergeant

wow best idea ive heard in a long time.

/edit/ doppler's i mean. the local voice streaming would bring this game to a grinding halt. Even outfits sometimes have too many members.

/edit//edit/ <--- lol but outfit chat might be a GOOD idea, would break outfits like the 666th from 1000 members to 100 members. (oh god i can hear the /o speak spam now. :shudder: )

Last edited by keaoi; 2003-11-03 at 03:03 AM.
Old 2012-11-30, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warhero
Private

Re: Improved in-game voice chat.

Honestly the current voice codec leaves a lot to be desired. Mumble has a far better codec at low bitrates. A majority of the time people come across this game with extreme static, including people that i normally talk to on things like skype and mumble, and half the time it doesn't pick up their mic and others it makes it so scratchy that its painful to listen to. I would be more apt to use the in game voice chat if it wasn't sooo bad.

The in game voice should also be able to be put through an alternate channel. I like playing with gaming headphones on for chat with the game going through speakers, and this game makes it impossible to do that with the in game voice.
Old 2012-11-30, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Crator
Major General

Re: Improved in-game voice chat.

Wow, this is the worst necro post I've seen. Warhero, you do realize the last person to post in this thread was in 2003? This thread is about PS1.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion