News: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4 - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Presented in DoubleVision (where drunk)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-05, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Artalion
Private

Re: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4

Did anyone think, "Oh wow, Planetside 2 is going to be on Planetside 4? How neat is tha- oh."

Yeah...

I really liked the video that they did for it. When they originally released the PS2 promo videos, it was mostly focusing on the first person gameplay (which is awesome.) What I like about this video is that it incorporated the outfits a lot more. So rather than just having the Outfits be something that were in game, they are part of the game. I think this will help direct players to Outfits (which is better for everyone I think.)

As far as PS4 players joining the Planetside community, I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, it means that I'm going to have a lot of immature whiny kids for teammates. On the other hand, it means I'm going to have twice as many immature whiny kids to shoot at. This, combined with the fact that more players = better fights, makes me look forward to the future.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
AThreatToYou
Major

I was honestly going to say, "I don't see how games get directly dumbed-down, mechanics-wise, when it comes to Console vs. PC."

Then I realized about PC. We have games like Tribes and League of Legends. These games simply would not work on a console. Period. Sure, they would be technically supported, but the finer game mechanics are simply not supported by a gamepad. If you argue that they are, then you just... don't understand Tribes.
I'm going flatline ****** on that one. No one would even bother with Tribes if it was on consoles. Same with LoL.

But, honestly, I believe the metagame--our biggest problem with PlanetSide 2--simply won't be affected by any new game development in the direction of catering to consoles. We already have a game that mechanically supports consoles, and this is good for PlanetSide 2's new platform. Even the original PlanetSide would have had no issues being played on a console; add in a few context buttons and it's all good.

With the PS4 probably [almost definitely] supporting mouse and keyboard, I am almost entirely sure that PS2 will not be dumbed down even if SOE decides to cater to the console audience. My only stigma is that I hope there is no console-exclusive content, and no PC-exclusive content.

I also hope for cross-platform play, so we can be sure that the PS4 players will not be perceiving different mechanics than the PC players, so that future development & content--the lifeblood of F2P games--will not cause imbalances by trying to fix imbalances that were not actually there.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-06-05 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

That was a wonderful video. Made me think about this quote from kipling

If your officer's dead and the sergeants look white,
Remember it's ruin to run from a fight:
So take open order, lie down, and sit tight,
And wait for supports like a soldier.
Wait, wait, wait like a soldier . . .

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
Go, go, go like a soldier,
So-oldier ~of~ the Queen!
Old 2013-06-05, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
NoblesseOblige
Private

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
I guess were looking at it from 2 different perspectives, I am talking about gameplay and you seem to be talking about graphics. BF3 looks great, but the gameplay and depth is straight up crap compared to previous BF titles. Either way I am concerned....not to mention the first time there is a PS4 only exclusive I'm sure the forums will errupt lol.

DICE's LIES about "switching platforms" (consoles were always the lead) and the lack of depth in BF3 are why I left BF3 after a few months and find myself in PS2, I can't be more thankful PS2 exists.
But then again, we're also talking about the current gen being very old technology. Of course by now a PC game like BF3 is going to be held back by consoles, because the technology in a PS3 remains static while PC technology marches forward. It seems like, based on the released specs of the PS4, it will be able to handle Planetside 2. Besides, we already know what a Planetside attempt on dated technology looks like. It's called MAG.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Artalion View Post
On the one hand, it means that I'm going to have a lot of immature whiny kids for teammates. On the other hand, it means I'm going to have twice as many immature whiny kids to shoot at. This, combined with the fact that more players = better fights, makes me look forward to the future.
Maybe you didn't get the memo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smed ps2 ps4.png
Views:	32
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1177  
Old 2013-06-05, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
But then again, we're also talking about the current gen being very old technology. Of course by now a PC game like BF3 is going to be held back by consoles, because the technology in a PS3 remains static while PC technology marches forward. It seems like, based on the released specs of the PS4, it will be able to handle Planetside 2. Besides, we already know what a Planetside attempt on dated technology looks like. It's called MAG.
Oh... I loved MAG. It was short lived, but it was awesome while it lasted. Maxed rank on Sever, then on Raven... never finished the other faction... can't even remember their name.. but pretty much NC haha.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
NoblesseOblige
Private

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
Oh... I loved MAG. It was short lived, but it was awesome while it lasted. Maxed rank on Sever, then on Raven... never finished the other faction... can't even remember their name.. but pretty much NC haha.
Yeah I enjoyed the game too. Played SVER with my friend in college. I'm just attempting to illustrate that just because BF3 had troubles with old tech and MAG was the most "Planetside-esque" thing the PS3 could manage, doesn't mean an attempt on the PS4 will be DOA.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Essentially the only reason to keep PC and PS$ seperate would be cultural.
PS4 will have mouse support for FPS(just like PS3.)
Old 2013-06-05, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Both possible sides, up and down, have been discussed at this point so I won't go on about those.
I suppose that since this is a PC to console port I can't be too mad.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-05, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Told you so,

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=36904

two years ago.

Who's crazy now, eh? :P

Ps. Might be worth playing again on the console. Maybe.
Old 2013-06-05, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post

(EDIT: They better introduce a cooldown timer on empire-switching by then, though. Like a twelve-hour one. Seriously. Mother of sweating Jesus. Can you imagine thousands of teenagers going LOLNO THIS SUX and swapping sides on the fly every afternoon? And don't gimme that crap about how they can run multiple clients, because they'd need multiple PS4's.)
That only punishes legit players. Griefers will just make new accounts.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-06-05, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Its great news.

Old 2013-06-05, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Its great news.
It's a disaster -- for the sense of community that goes back a decade; for the dead certainty of dwindling PC support; for the old outfits that won't be able to make the transition from one platform to another; for those of us that would like to but will face the specter of hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours of gameplay going into the trash bin, or for the starving-college demographic that simply can't afford four hundred bucks on a new box so they can play their favorite game in good company with decent pops.

It's a rupture within the community similar to what we faced when European players would have been unable to access US servers. We made enough noise to change that. We need to do the same now.
Old 2013-06-05, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

This is the worst news I've ever read.

They're going to spend all their resources working on the Playstation 4 version.

Don't count on anymore big updates after this, at least not for a while.
Old 2013-06-05, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
It's a disaster -- for the sense of community that goes back a decade; for the dead certainty of dwindling PC support; for the old outfits that won't be able to make the transition from one platform to another; for those of us that would like to but will face the specter of hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours of gameplay going into the trash bin, or for the starving-college demographic that simply can't afford four hundred bucks on a new box so they can play their favorite game in good company with decent pops.

It's a rupture within the community similar to what we faced when European players would have been unable to access US servers. We made enough noise to change that. We need to do the same now.
That seems a bit much. They're porting PS2 to the PS4 not canceling PS2 for the PC. No one is forcing anyone to play on the PS4 and if there ends up being more people playing on the console than the PC...so what? That just means that there are more console players than PC.
Most anyone playing on the PC will continue to play on the PC while new players can enjoy it on the console. If the entirety of my outfit goes and starts playing exclusively on the console then I'll find another outfit, if the entirety of my server goes over to the console then I'll find another server.

Geolocking servers was/is a terrible idea. Platform locking the servers...not so much.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion