News: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4 - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: has No Pants Fridays.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-05, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Re: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
That seems a bit much. They're porting PS2 to the PS4 not canceling PS2 for the PC. No one is forcing anyone to play on the PS4 and if there ends up being more people playing on the console than the PC...so what? That just means that there are more console players than PC.
Most anyone playing on the PC will continue to play on the PC while new players can enjoy it on the console. If the entirety of my outfit goes and starts playing exclusively on the console then I'll find another outfit, if the entirety of my server goes over to the console then I'll find another server.

Geolocking servers was/is a terrible idea. Platform locking the servers...not so much.
Bro, you have to realize that they only have SO MUCH manpower.

You CANNOT deny that all their effort going into the console is GOING to affect us, HEAVILY.
Old 2013-06-05, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post

You CANNOT deny that all their effort going into the console is GOING to affect us, HEAVILY.
Yo Bro, I'd imagine they'd have like, a separate team or at least won't put, like, ya know, EVERYONE on the console side of development Dude. Radical.

So yeah, I guess I can deny it. At least until someone on the dev team confirms that all of their PC devs have been replaced by console folk.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-05, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Yo Bro, I'd imagine they'd have like, a separate team or at least won't put, like, ya know, EVERYONE on the console side of development Dude. Radical.

So yeah, I guess I can deny it. At least until someone on the dev team confirms that all of their PC devs have been replaced by console folk.
Sure, they'll be a separate team, but it still eats up their priorities.

I mean, look at how long it takes them to do stuff right now. We still have problems from Day 1 that haven't been fixed. Imagine how long it will take while they also try to develop the game for consoles.

I guess you must be new to the PC scene, because this is always how it goes.

A developer goes rogue and starts making shit on a console, then we lose all our PC support.

Consoles kill gaming.

Last edited by Tom Peters; 2013-06-05 at 05:44 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
NotTheMomma
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
So... let me get this straight. We, the PC crowd, have been essentially beta-testing the bugger for the console-jockeys and financing it --and, by extension, them -- with our own money for the past eight months. That's why it was released too early, that's why maps and gameplay alike are still in beta-esque constant upheaval, and that's why the devs have been so sanguine about the state of the game despite all our yelling and hair-pulling. It doesn't need to be stable and the advertising blitz doesn't need to be in place until the PS4 comes out.

I'm okay with this. My God, the glorious battles we're going to have. OH MY GOD. YES.

/salutes

(EDIT: They better introduce a cooldown timer on empire-switching by then, though. Like a twelve-hour one. Seriously. Mother of sweating Jesus. Can you imagine thousands of teenagers going LOLNO THIS SUX and swapping sides on the fly every afternoon? And don't gimme that crap about how they can run multiple clients, because they'd need multiple PS4's.)

EDIT #2: Well, so much for the joyousness. Smed's tweeting that PC and PS4 players will be on different servers. No cross-platform reinforcements for us. No showing the crowds of newbies the ropes. No passing the torch.

Fuck.

/slumps
Old 2013-06-05, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Vashyo
First Sergeant

I certainly hope game updates won't slow down with the PS4 version, it's allready taking way too long to catch up PS1, but it's gonna take even longer I suppose when they have to work on two games on different platforms at the same time.
Old 2013-06-05, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by GeoGnome View Post
I feel maniacal laughter swelling inside of me... Let the console slaughter begin.

Bring fourth my white horse... so I can run people down with it.
It would not be fair to mix PC and console players on the same server... console players would never have a chance in hell to even get out of the warpgate before they die.
Old 2013-06-05, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Sure, they'll be a separate team, but it still eats up their priorities.

I mean, look at how long it takes them to do stuff right now. We still have problems from Day 1 that haven't been fixed. Imagine how long it will take while they also try to develop the game for consoles.

I guess you must be new to the PC scene, because this is always how it goes.

A developer goes rogue and starts making shit on a console, then we lose all our PC support.

Consoles kill gaming.
Nope, just not seeing it. The games I've enjoyed have been for the PC and in the instances that they've been ported to a console they (the PC community) didn't die off. This isn't a bunch of developers 'going rogue', it's a a team of devs who are expanding the game. If anything I'd expect new features to be put in even faster than before and my guess is that we'll see the good stuff long before the console players do.
The turnaround time on implementing certain aspects of the game (i.e. lattice) has been longer than I would have hoped but not extremely so.

To say that the sky is falling and we're all fucked is just crazy talk and not conducive to a healthy discussion when we've got absolutely no facts, whatsoever about the port of PS2 to the PS4. Wait until after E3 to freak out at least.

Old 2013-06-05, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Here I am in "The Commander" shot.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-06-05, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
MgFalcon
Captain

I wish I had a better PC to wipe the floor with the PS4 sticks!
Old 2013-06-05, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Sunrock
Major

They most likely have a 2nd team that are separated from the PC team that deals with the porting to PS4
Old 2013-06-05, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Nah, I know what's going to happen. You can keep your hopes up if you want, I'm cancelling my subscription.
Go ahead, that'll help.

Old 2013-06-05, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

To say that the sky is falling and we're all fucked is just crazy talk and not conducive to a healthy discussion when we've got absolutely no facts, whatsoever about the port of PS2 to the PS4. Wait until after E3 to freak out at least.
Nah, I know what's going to happen. You can keep your hopes up if you want, I'm cancelling my subscription.
Old 2013-06-05, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
NoblesseOblige
Private

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
It's a disaster -- for the sense of community that goes back a decade; for the dead certainty of dwindling PC support; for the old outfits that won't be able to make the transition from one platform to another; for those of us that would like to but will face the specter of hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours of gameplay going into the trash bin, or for the starving-college demographic that simply can't afford four hundred bucks on a new box so they can play their favorite game in good company with decent pops.

It's a rupture within the community similar to what we faced when European players would have been unable to access US servers. We made enough noise to change that. We need to do the same now.
This, ladies and gentleman, is what hyperbole looks like. A console port of Planetside 2 is not nearly as offensive as region locking EU players from US servers, give me a break.

Do you know what else goes back in our community for a decade? Paranoia. Seriously, every other post on old forumside: "This idle change will ruin Planetside" "Planetside is dead" "My pet issue isn't being addressed fast enough." The difference between now and then is the devs actually respond to community feedback and have the hindsight of the first game to not make some of the mistakes they did before (BFRs come to mind...)

Last edited by NoblesseOblige; 2013-06-05 at 06:54 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
KALU
Master Sergeant

This is fucking massive news!!!!!!!

for console gamers
Old 2013-06-05, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

Outfits everywhere not featured in that video appreciate your sentiment

Performances aside, it remains to be seen whether a port to the PS4 will improve or diminish popularity for players; whilst people wait until Christmas to play the game on a shiny new console, there are still plenty of issues to resolve on the PC that must not be sidelined simply to bring Auraxis to other platforms.

Last edited by Hyncharas; 2013-06-05 at 08:23 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion