Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What do you mean we can't be friends?!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-06, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

I actually don't mind them as long as we still have a CoF system in place. I like the idea of playing through a small 1 second animation to get an accuracy boost for shooting far distances. Adds a degree of skill to the game when aiming at further distances.

What I don't want to see is the accuracy difference to be so large that aiming from the sights is required in say hallways. That kind of stuff bothers me.

//edit also what I don't want to see is 100% accurate cross-hairs since it tends to make the guns feel identical if all their ranges are the same.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-01-06 at 12:49 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
l3lizz4rd
Master Sergeant

ITT, people who played their first fps on console.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Here is the shit, If they are in<<, this keeps the people who like them happy, if they are in and you don't like them don't fucking use them, that keeps that lot happy, geez fucking hell.

Now iron sights ad realism to a game, and don't tell me they don't, you try and fucking shoot anything without iron sights on a gun and you wont be able to do it.

Another point iron sights help a lot in close quarter battle as said in the OP, like CODfish and all that other shit, but this is Planetside and they will make little or but no difference with a Mozzie shoved up your ass!

Thank you good bye

Edit* Take away the cross-hair. Now there is a plan

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-01-06 at 01:25 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
MooK
Staff Sergeant

When it comes to iron sights, for me, it's not really a conceptual argument as to what they may represent. Instead, I prefer to consider it more as a realistic implementation, or additional feature. In that case, it's absolutely necessary, in a game like PlanetSide, to be as feature-rich as possible, and thus, without iron sights, a major feature would be lacking.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Erikson
Private

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
Here is the shit, If they are in<<, this keeps the people who like them happy, if they are in and you don't like them don't fucking use them, that keeps that lot happy, geez fucking hell.
While I generally agree with this, there is a concern for how inaccurate not using the sights might be. In CoD, or similar games, not using the iron sights is effective only for a few meters.

I am in support of iron sights. It'll cut down on the run and gun fever. Maybe it'll encourage people to think before they shoot.

I'm really picturing moving into a base with my outfit in coordinated fire teams. One team covering the other from their iron sights, hands steady, trigger fingers ready.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Arrow
Corporal

I personally loved the fast arcadey style feel of Planetside. To me it brought the diversity of a battle, it enabled one skillful player the chance to take on 3-5 people at once. That to me is a fun game. Quake, Tribes 2, Unreal and all of those shooters are my absolute favorites, the huge skill learning curve is what made these games instant draw backs to me including Planetside.

I've loved my fair share of ironsight games that were supposed to be uberly real but given Planetsides 2's atmosphere I just don't see the justification behind making the combat super ultra realistic. Set the tone for Planetside 2 and keep true to its original game mechanics in my opinion. Don't cater to simplicity.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Ironsights serve no other purpose than to slow down gameplay enough to appeal to a more casual audience.

Planetside wasn't a particularly fast paced shooter in the first place compared to other titles, and I think it has other checks and balances in the core gameplay that already play enough into this role, making it entirely unnecessary imo. Should there be a zoom mechanic on every weapon (where it makes sense)? Yes absolutely. But it should be nothing more than a simple fov change. No artificially increased accuracy, no power increase, no slowed movement, etc.

Last edited by Espion; 2012-01-06 at 02:13 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Arrow
Corporal

Originally Posted by Espion View Post
Ironsights serve no other purpose than to slow down gameplay enough to appeal to a more casual audience.

Planetside wasn't a particularly fast paced shooter in the first place compared to other titles, and I think it has other checks and balances in the core gameplay that already play enough into this role, making it entirely unnecessary imo. Should there be a zoom mechanic on every weapon (where it makes sense)? Yes absolutely. But it should be nothing more than a simple fov change. No artificially increased accuracy, no power increase, no slowed movement, etc.

This is the type of gameplay planetside presented and the type of gameplay I loved about it. Say it be stale or not, I came back everytime for the past X amount of years since beta just because it was unique.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

tldr.

i have mixed feelings about Iron Sights in PS2. It doesn't feel like it fits because its futuristic, BUT at the same time it makes sense because of the industrial feeling the game gives off so far.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
GTGD
First Sergeant

I think ADS could be beneficial to PS, especially for the MA weapons. But there isn't a need for HA and SA. The essence of PS is that it encourages the ability to keep your aim on an enemy for an extended period of time. TTK is going to be around the same as BF2BC, which is a good thing. It will allow for that aiming ability but also make killing faster and more realistic.

There are a couple things that should be avoided though:

1. Don't make aiming and killing be TOO quick and easy. If you thought pushing downstairs was tough in PS, imagine how tough it will be if you know you'll last less than a second as people camping with ADS will rip you apart before you can even get a shot in.

2. GET RID OF ADADADADADAD. As a product of CSHD, it was the #1 worst part of PS. Strafing is fine, but warping around like a moron is just frustrating. Also hopefully momentum will be implemented so that you can't still mash the buttons with zero momentum loss. I don't anticipate this to be a problem with PhysX but it is important to prevent ridiculous movements of characters.

3. Leave the COF system alone for the mostpart. ADS can be good, but it is stupid that it reduces the cone of fire to nothing and just adds recoil. The most ideal system I have seen in any game ever was in Day of Defeat. Recoil was not this invisible magical force that replaced accuracy. Recoil actually moved the crosshairs up, rather than just disorienting your view. Additionally, the more you fired the more the COF of the crosshairs expanded. That way you got both vertical movement and COF expansion. This made the player account for both and made the game take a LOT more skill, as well as allowing it to be accessible to everyone because they could see what was happening - unlike counter-strike when people wonder "where the hell are my shots going and why?"
Old 2012-01-06, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Bags
Lieutenant General

GTGD, warping is a result of bad programming. I don't see why people can't understand this
Old 2012-01-06, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
acosmo
Sergeant Major

+1 GTGD
Old 2012-01-06, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Draep
Master Sergeant

ITT: The reason developers don't need to listen to the fanbase before the game is made
Old 2012-01-06, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Erikson View Post
While I generally agree with this, there is a concern for how inaccurate not using the sights might be. In CoD, or similar games, not using the iron sights is effective only for a few meters.

I am in support of iron sights. It'll cut down on the run and gun fever. Maybe it'll encourage people to think before they shoot.

I'm really picturing moving into a base with my outfit in coordinated fire teams. One team covering the other from their iron sights, hands steady, trigger fingers ready.
These are my thoughts as well. The use of ADS in many games ends up being a required tactic because weapon accuracy sucks ass beyond a few feet when trying to hip-fire or run-and-gun.

But as many have already stated, IMO PS2 should be designed so that both playstyles are valid choices. This is not an either/or question. There are many different game mechanics that can be tweaked to make one tactic more favorable than the other in any given situation, like:
  • footspeed when hitting your walk/run/sprint keys
  • strafe speed
  • accuracy and recoil when firing single shots, bursts, and full auto
  • accuracy of the above when taking damage
  • FoV
  • speed with which you can switch between the two firing modes

The Devs should be able to tweak these values so that PS2 doesn't overwhelmingly favor one tactic over the other most of the time.

In addition, I would hope that there will be skill trees for both ADS and running-and-gunning so that you can personalize either one to your own playstyle, like increased footspeed while using ADS at the cost of a bit of accuracy, or increase accuracy when hip firing at the cost of footspeed.

That said, due to the huge scale of PS2 maps and the large variety of engagement distances present, they do need to make hip firing / running-and-gunning a lot more accurate than what you see in many 16vs16 FPSes. I think hitting a man-sized target out to 25 feet or so with an assault rifle is reasonable, at least for the first few shots.

Lastly, for those of you that complain that ADS will only slow down the game, I give you the following video:

In it you'll see combat that is just as fast as the vid Arrow posted. And you'll notice that Karter uses a pretty good mix of ADS and hip-firing. CoD2's hip-firing accuracy is actually pretty good for a map of this size and complexity since both tactics are used quite often. For PS2 the Devs just need to find the right balance given the scale of PS2 maps.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-01-06 at 03:49 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Draep View Post
One playstyle, ironsights will be (sorry, is) added to the game, the other (who even knows what you're advocating, are you seriously suggesting/believing that they will develop an alternative aiming system to appease a bunch of old planetside players who don't make up their target audience?) will most likely be left out.

I'm not reveling in my victory, just wish these forums weren't so cluttered.
Their target audience is old Planetside players. That's evident from the amount of the old Planetside features are being left in the game. You just think you speak for all of them.

I personally think that shooting from the hip should be valid from indoors and close quarters, but from close out it should be iron sights. It adds to the realism to the game and gives you something to extend the range of the weapon at the cost of movement.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion