College Plans... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Like a jet engine duct taped to a moped.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2004-02-19, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bighoss
General

I plan on probauly majoring in biology, then go off to study genetics in grad school, hopefully end up working for monsanto or some place cool like that. Either that or get a business degree and take over my dads brewery he started.
Old 2004-02-19, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
EineBeBoP
Contributor
Pns Ndabut

Misc Info

2 yr college then another 2 yrs in a 4 yr college majoring in comp sciences/eng., or join the military (Air force, computer technician i think)
We'll see. I've got 2 yrs to think about it.
Old 2004-02-20, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
planethogger
Private

i plan on leaving high slool and joining the BRITISH ARMY ARMOURED BRIGADE as a tank driver .kinda sad really buy hey wanted to do it since i was like 5 yrs old.
Old 2004-02-20, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Setari
General

id like to get a major in mechanics or automobile or something like that if it's possible. But i still have a few years.
Old 2004-02-20, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Liquidtide
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Been there; Done that.
Old 2004-02-20, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Common
Private

Been there; Done that.
Yah, me too. If the average age here is High School, then I'm old as hell. Got a BFA in Film and Video production a while back. Anyone considering getting any degree in the arts should try to get as much professional practice and internships as possible, because graduating with nothing on your resume but a degree in fine arts is tough - makes for an expensive peice of toilet paper.
Old 2004-02-20, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Triggar
Contributor

I'm currently working towards a Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautical Science. I haven't declared any minors yet, but I anticipate minoring in Air Traffic Management and Meterology.

(In college to become a commercial airline pilot - the sweetest job in the world. I get to travel all over the world for free, make a ton of money, I can live in London AND New York, have an excuse not to have kids until I'm 35, and can buy my own 1 carat Tiffany classic engagement ring when I feel like it! AND I'LL BE A FREAKING 777 PILOT)
Old 2004-02-20, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Red October
Second Lieutenant

Also...."Been there, done that"

Graduated with a degree in Economics at Cal Poly (Pomona). Just some advice, don't be a lemming. Absolutely do not go into a field that has a gazillion people in it. For example, our graduating class also included the Psychology gradutates. They made 3/4's of the people graduating....we (economics) barely filled one small row in comparison. We all had jobs coming out of school.....they didn't. To get an idea if there is a market for your field...check the wanted adds in thier field publications/newspapers/internet/etc. Don't buy the bull shit that says "If you love the field, it won't matter how much you make". Thats only half true, you may be in the field you love, but your also moonligting in order to support yourself...and thats not cool. Can't tell you how many people I have seen done this.

Secondly, don't be skimpy with the internships. If you see one, grab it...even if your not interested. You may find out that you are actually interested and the one you are interested in...just sucks. For example, I discovered that Investment Firms and Banks were NOT what I had wanted. I ended up where I had least expected.
Old 2004-02-20, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Triggar
Contributor

Red October has a lot of sweet points - one more is to be freaking realistic when you're going into college. Not like my sister, who thinks she's going to graduate from Wingate University (yeah, I've never heard of it either), catch a plane to Manhattan and become Barbara Walters. She doesn't have a clue that she's probably going to have to write news stories for anchors in Lincoln, Nebraska for years before she's ever even in front of a camera. She gets defensive when we tell her this.

You also have to expect that the chances are, you won't be making any money right after graduation. You have to accept the fact that you'll probably be pouring other people's coffee or making photocopies. Or in my case, teaching snot-nosed kids how not to crash a plane. Talk to people actually in the field you want to go in, and get a realistic understanding of what your life will be like in that profession. Make sure you want to make the time and money commitment, and that your lifestyle will fit well with your career. Don't be a pilot if you want to have kids at 25. You will be home two weekends a month and you have to take things like that into account.

So, keep all these things in mind when you plan for your college degree. Also, there was a study that said that like, 60% of the people in jobs now did NOT get a degree that related to their field.
Old 2004-02-20, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

I want to design aircraft. Or automobiles. I can't decide. My mom says go for it, my dad says that the job is going to suck.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge