Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Dev Profile - Matt Higby

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...higby-2496.htm
Old 2011-07-08, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Arkanakaz
Private

Re: Dev Profile - Matt Higby

About half way through he switches from 3ed person to 1st person like has half way up a tower.
Old 2011-07-08, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Arkanakaz View Post
About half way through he switches from 3ed person to 1st person like has half way up a tower.
Haha

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2011-07-10, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

I like everything this guy has said so far except in the third video he says that every thing no matter how tough can be damaged by the weakest pistol, This is one of the major things wrong in the first PlanetSide, don't think this is the best way to have a competitive fps that is the old model, other very competitive shooters have gone in a very different direction. Make the players be smart and use tactics with the right weapons to kill the right things. Not every weapon should be able to kill anything with enough hits! AV was something that never worked right in PlanetSide, it took like 15-20+ rounds from a av shoulder rocket launcher to kill a tank! I know a lot of people that just never took AV because it was so week and they knew they could kill vehicles by just shooting at weak ones with there HA. Make it so it only takes a few rounds or one really well placed round to disable a tank with AV, he all ready said that the weapons are going to be more lethal in PS2 so don't half ass it. Make week spots on heavy armor units like there really are and make AV work right and you wont have any problems just don't make it so a weak handgun can kill a tank with a lucky shot or even a max for that matter, there bullets should just bounce right off there high armor forcing them to work together with there squad/outfit/faction mates carrying AV to help them out with the kill, this is how you force cooperative play with your team mates which is what PlanetSide is all about. Avoid the universal soldier that goes around kill whoring everything with 2 HA guns! But heavier riffles could still do light damage and AV rounds should blow them sky high in no time, A tank driver like my self should fear a single infantry soldier wielding AV not drive toward him knowing I can run him over before he can get enough shots into me to kill me. Like even one really well placed shot to its weak spot should kill a tank, this is how you make a good modern shooter that most ps players are ready for and crave for.

Last edited by Livefire; 2011-07-10 at 04:31 AM.
Old 2011-07-10, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Arkanakaz
Private

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
I like everything this guy has said so far except in the third video he says that every thing no matter how tough can be damaged by the weakest pistol,
I think what he meant by that was that there will never be a moments like there are in role playing games where if someone is of a higher level to yourself and no matter what you do you cannot beat them. This is often because in role playing games being of a higher level gives you things like more health and more damage meaning in a one on one situation you can use this to beat other players of a lower level to yourself by default.

I think he was saying that although there will be customization and RPG elements in PlanetSide 2 it will still be the same as it is in the current PlanetSide, where anyone can kill anyone else regardless of level and he was just using a pistol as an example. Of course a pistol wouldn't be any good against a tank but it will never do zero damage.

To sum it up battle rank gives options and versatility but not sheer power and I like that.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Agree..

Last edited by Livefire; 2011-07-10 at 08:07 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

I totally agree with you on that..and this is something that makes planetside different and better then all others!

Its this that is the problem you say a pistol is no good against a tank but me and my gunner have died multiple times in a tank to a pistol because " it never does zero damage" or a hand grenade which should not do any damage to heavy armor units either, You see multiple times me and my awesome driving ability have saved me, my gunner and my tank from a hoard of AV rounds only to die once we stop to repair at a safe distance from the front line to a cloaker with a stupid pistol because are tank is 99% dead all ready from the AV. This is stupid! And especially with the change to a class system and more focus on team play which is awesome by the way I hope they don't screw this up again like they did on ps1 it was one of the most annoying things from the first game. A infantryman in a heavy armor yes a pistol should be able to eventually kill him especially with a head shot I would be fine with a one hit kill for that but it SHOULD DO ZERO DAMAGE to a max or vehicle with heavy armor and the same with regular assault riffles! Pistols with there slug style rounds should hit harder and do more damage per round then lowered powered riffles but suffer the range and accuracy riffles get with there typically pointed rounds so this would encourage players to use pistols over riffles for closer targets and make pistols own!! over every thing other then HA weapons for indoor combat. Which is how you will actually see real soldiers do it when they enter a building they will drop there M-4 assault riffle to there sling and pull there 9mm or better yet there 45 cal. because they don't need the range and they are going to be hitting a lot harder and doing more damage with there pistol slugs. But if see's a tank of heavy armor target if he don't have AV type weapons or armor piercing high caliber rounds he wont even shoot at it cause they will just bounce off its armor this is how it should be in Planetside 2 and there for forcing him to rely on his comrades with the av or a like to take out the target with a quick and clean kill.

Last edited by Livefire; 2011-07-10 at 08:09 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
LTCROCKETT
Private

I have one comment for Matt. Realease the BETA ... and make sure LTCROCKETT is the first on the list ..
Old 2012-06-22, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Arkanakaz View Post
And it was hilarious.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions