[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: LOST: Puppy, goes by the name of "Hamma", reward if found
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-11-23, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Coreldan
Colonel
 
Coreldan's Avatar
 
[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR


I've mentioned this a few times in other threads, but thought it could use it's own.

So, if anyone isn't familiar with TrackIR, this video explains it pretty well:

I think it would be really damn awesome if Forgelight could be made to support this. It would work like wonders in a game like PS2 (really amazing in ARMA2, for example) and does a great deal for situational awareness.

Since Forgelight is likely to be in just about every game they will be making from here on, making it generally speaking compatible with Forgelight would probably make it quite easy to make compatible with each game they have coming in the future with little effort.

It's quite a niche thing, though, and I feel that they won't use the resources on something like this, but it sure would be really awesome.

Naturally any kind of dev reply would be cool, but that's just hoping


EDIT: Good to note that it's not really TrackIR that needs to be implemented, but free look which benefits everyone. After free look is in, TrackIR is easypeasy to integrate to the game.

Originally Posted by Justaman View Post
I think you should edit the OP so that it doesn't imply that "TrackIR" is what needs to be implemented. It should say we want a "free look" button, or an extra set of hot-keys that only effect our visual orientation. In the best case, it would be a free-look button that toggles the visual orientation hot-keys from what they are, to your mouse. So that single button Free-look would seamlessly work with either mouse+keyboard standard setups as well as mouse/keyboard+joystick/other peripheral. As the peripherals them selves would handle the use of those inputs.

Which in comparison is next to nothing for development time.
__________________

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-12-14 at 07:51 AM.
Coreldan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major
 
FastAndFree's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


This has popped up before, we never got an official answer.

I even went so far as to rig together a Freetrack set
That I have never used since

So fingers crossed that PS2 will support it
__________________
FastAndFree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General
 
Bags's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Waste of development time.
__________________
Bags is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel
 
Coreldan's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Aaaand, it would greatly benefit both grunt gameplay as well as flying. For tanks I can't really figure out much of a good use for it, but for infantry and flying it makes a big frigging difference.

Pretty please?
__________________

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Coreldan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major
 
FastAndFree's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Aaaand, it would greatly benefit both grunt gameplay as well as flying. For tanks I can't really figure out much of a good use for it, but for infantry and flying it makes a big frigging difference.

Pretty please?
It would be useful for the Magrider at least, which won't have a turret for the driver.
Or when you want to look around while still keeping your turret on the precious BEP farm base door
__________________
FastAndFree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
kaffis
Contributor
Major
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Aaaand, it would greatly benefit both grunt gameplay as well as flying. For tanks I can't really figure out much of a good use for it, but for infantry and flying it makes a big frigging difference.

Pretty please?
The problem is, if it's a big difference, as you claim, you're creating a hardware barrier to entry on the game.

Just like supporting super-wide FOV settings for people with a dozen monitors...

I don't want Planetside to be a game where I feel like I lost because I didn't spend enough money to have as much situational awareness as the next guy.
kaffis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
HoovesMcG
Corporal
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
The problem is, if it's a big difference, as you claim, you're creating a hardware barrier to entry on the game.

Just like supporting super-wide FOV settings for people with a dozen monitors...

I don't want Planetside to be a game where I feel like I lost because I didn't spend enough money to have as much situational awareness as the next guy.
No you'll lose cause someone bought a gun that fires faster than yours. What then?

Trust me, track ir does not elevate players to a godly state. Or should I say not any more than mouse look. Its just a different way to look around.

From what I have seen they are ignoring this in hopes it will go away. have you seen the footage. there is no cockpit to look around it. This, is an arcade game that the devs havent so far as peaked out there to see what could make it better than any other arcade game out there. (in terms of actual gameplay, not persistant world).

So while I still hope they will see the light. Im pretty sure they wont look up away from their keyboard to see the next big thing.
HoovesMcG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Geist's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Looks great. On the Mechwarrior Online forums, they were also talking about this and one of the Devs implied that they were looking into it. Take note SOE Devs, since MWO is a competitor for PS2, perhaps you guys should look into it so as not to lose your customers(No worries about me, I'll be playing both )
__________________
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Geist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Infektion
Sergeant Major
 
Infektion's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Looks great. On the Mechwarrior Online forums, they were also talking about this and one of the Devs implied that they were looking into it. Take note SOE Devs, since MWO is a competitor for PS2, perhaps you guys should look into it so as not to lose your customers(No worries about me, I'll be playing both )
How is MWO a competitor for PS2? They really share NOTHING I common, except for being free to play, it's more of a competitor for WOT.
__________________
I remember when my PC was awesome...
N C Infektion
I'm a REAL VET, not a green horn who bought his beta ticket.
Infektion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


That would be awesome to use in PS2. I hope they do work on that at some point, probably not by release, but at some point would be great because I would get that.
__________________

Khellendros - Lib Commando Extraordinaire
Squad Leader
Khellendros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel
 
Coreldan's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Yeah, I'm just afraid that after release there will still be more to work on that they have the time for and it just gets pushed and pushed and never implemented.

Wonder how much of a job it is to implemented it in the first place. Also I'd figure it would be easier to implement it now while the engine isn't all that finalized than trying to tack it on afterwards. I suppose with an Unreal Engine game that could be as easy to implement as checking a tickbox but with a brand new engine that is not likely the case.
__________________

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-11-23 at 03:14 PM.
Coreldan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Xyntech
Brigadier General
 
Xyntech's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Wonder how much of a job it is to implemented it in the first place. Also I'd figure it would be easier to implement it now while the engine isn't all that finalized than trying to tack it on afterwards. I suppose with an Unreal Engine game that could be as easy to implement as checking a tickbox but with a brand new engine that is not likely the case.
Since SOE is developing Forgelight as a proprietary, in-house game engine, I imagine that they will probably continue to upgrade the engine as a whole, much like Valve upgrades the Source engine.

Of course, SOE is not Valve, but maybe they'll start heading in that direction with Forgelight.
Xyntech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major
 
OnexBigxHebrew's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Yeah, I'm just afraid that after release there will still be more to work on that they have the time for and it just gets pushed and pushed and never implemented.

Wonder how much of a job it is to implemented it in the first place. Also I'd figure it would be easier to implement it now while the engine isn't all that finalized than trying to tack it on afterwards. I suppose with an Unreal Engine game that could be as easy to implement as checking a tickbox but with a brand new engine that is not likely the case.
I kind of feel like ths wouldn't work with the rigid bodies and gumpy animations this game has.

Don't get me wrong, not knocking the game at all, just looks like the head and upper torso would have to be more articulated than they currently look for this to work in PS2.
OnexBigxHebrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dreamcast
Major
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Cool but only like .1 % will use it...How about the other 99.9%


Occupy planetside?
Dreamcast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major
 
FastAndFree's Avatar
 
Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR


Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Cool but only like .1 % will use it...How about the other 99.9%


Occupy planetside?
Actually, if the feature to turn your head around was in anyone could benefit from it, even without IR head tracking

You would just have to bind some keys or your joystick's hat switch to it
__________________

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-11-23 at 04:35 PM.
FastAndFree is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Tags
djeclipse

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.