The SSD and you. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where screen size matters.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-10, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

The SSD and you.

So I have decided that my next upgrade to my rig is going to be a Solid State Drive, I want some opinions/advice from people who already have em. I am a fairly tech savy guy( I work at best buy, gota be right? ) but I am a littler nervous about jacking it up so a tutorial/tips would be nice. Also what brands/sizes to look at and such. I'l post the specs of my machine when I get home I just figured I would post this now. I am TRYING to stay under $160, but there is a legitimate size/performance increase for another 30-40 bucks it would be worth it. Thanks for yals help!
Old 2012-04-10, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: The SSD and you.

I for the crucial m4 128gb. If you want to spend more go with the Samsung 830 or intel 520. I doubt you will notice the difference between any of them. I tend to avoid OCZ but on sickdeals there was a vertex 3 for $110 after Mir that maybe worthWhile if it's available still.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

Ya right now OCZ has an agility 3 120G for $99 after MIR and thats a pretty solid deal. Just want to know if I would see a substantial increase in performance with a different brand.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I wouldn't recommend an Agility, Vertex possibly given that price. I would still go for the Crucial M4 unless you want to save some money.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

On newegg there is a crucial m4 for 159 and one for 147, they look the same, whats the difference?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-10, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

There are a few new SSD drives that are being advertised as accelerators - which is a great idea, since it give you a big boost (over time, they're adaptive) without suffering storage size problems. I found them on the website below, and I'm not endorsing any of them - I'm looking at them all myself for my next upgrade.

http://www.storagereview.com/crucial...ing_ssd_review
http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_syn...che_ssd_review
http://www.storagereview.com/corsair...ing_ssd_review

This looks better than the older hybrid drive system because you can actually add this to an existing system!
Old 2012-04-10, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by The Desert Fox View Post
On newegg there is a crucial m4 for 159 e and one for 147, they look the same, whats the difference?
The regular version is fine for $147, other one has a transfer kit I think.

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
There are a few new SSD drives that are being advertised as accelerators - which is a great idea, since it give you a big boost (over time, they're adaptive) without suffering storage size problems. I found them on the website below, and I'm not endorsing any of them - I'm looking at them all myself for my next upgrade.

http://www.storagereview.com/crucial...ing_ssd_review
http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_syn...che_ssd_review
http://www.storagereview.com/corsair...ing_ssd_review

This looks better than the older hybrid drive system because you can actually add this to an existing system!
This is similar to Intel's SRT system. Interesting technology, but most people I have seen aren't hugely impressed by it. I haven't used it myself, but I think a regular SSD with a OS installed on it with a 1TB HDD for storage is the way to go.
Old 2012-04-10, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

I bought my RevoDrive a couple of years ago now and it is without doubt the best purchase I've made for years.
Win 7 loads fast, but for games it is an absolute Godsend.

I've got the SSD as a primary boot for Windows and all my games.
Then a couple of SATA drives and external USB drives for everything else.
This ensure that you aren't constantly clogging the drive with stuff that you save and delete all the time.

I was a bit nervous too, but it is really no different from doing a fresh install of Windows on any other drive.
There's just a few extra settings to go through pre-install, and once it is setup, to make sure the SSD is sorted, and protected as much as possible.

This isn't the exact one I used, but it contains everything you need:

The SSD Optimisation Guide

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/o...ation-guide-2/

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here

Last edited by SurgeonX; 2012-04-10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 2012-04-10, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
This is similar to Intel's SRT system. Interesting technology, but most people I have seen aren't hugely impressed by it. I haven't used it myself, but I think a regular SSD with a OS installed on it with a 1TB HDD for storage is the way to go.
I'm pretty pleased with my SRT rig. It's a compromise between performance and maintenance.

I'll take a modest hit to the performance increase if it means I don't have to micromanage what I install to where.

And given that I typically play multiple games in cycles, trying to keep the system drive's used space under control would be a lot of micromanagement. With SRT (or a similar system), it'll dynamically adjust what it's relocated to the cached drive to keep up with my play cycles.
Old 2012-04-10, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Well there you go. Thanks for the feedback. Just depends on what you are looking for.
Old 2012-04-10, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

I bought a Crucial M4 512GB recently and it was an awesome purchase - my whole system feels far more responsive and a pleasure to use.

I've only got a LGA1156 motherboard that supports SATA2 only but it already has made a big difference even limited to approximately half speed.

I'll look forward to seeing another leap in performance when I switch to an Ivy Bridge platform that supports SATA3.
Old 2012-04-10, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Dudster
Private

I don't know why people are so afraid of these things. Here's mine i have windows XP home 32 bit on it and use it exclusively for Planetside. No anti-virus no extra programs (okay a few other games) but i never hop onto IE or Mozilla with it and Planetside blazes, atleast compared to Windows 7.
Old 2012-04-10, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

okay so if I go with the M4, what else do I need to buy, and how do I install it lol
Old 2012-04-10, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
duomaxwl
Captain

I bought 2 M4's last time they were on sale. I honestly think it's the best thing I could have done for my computer. Just makes the day to day use much more pleasant, and games load up pretty damn fast. Couldn't recommend them more.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MonsterBone
First Sergeant

I got a fast 128 Gig Crucial SSD SATA drive for C and for D I have a 1 TB normal hard drive. I install everything to D except things I want to run fast.

For instance I learned how to mklink /J "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops" "C:\call of duty black ops" certain files from D to C.

Mklinking is funny. It makes the OPERATING SYSTEM think a file is on D drive when its really on C drive.

The link above makes my COD kick fucking ass. With my black ops on SSD I load my maps in a second and enter the map first every time.

However, Windows performs better on a SSD and reboot time on my machine is a flat 7 seconds.

So yes do it!

And by the way you ought to be a Devil Dog!

Last edited by MonsterBone; 2012-04-10 at 06:57 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum