"Useless" Resources? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Submitting tons of quotes makes you cool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-09, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
kaffis
Contributor
Major

"Useless" Resources?

So, when I read Higby's recent comment about three of the four resources having different uses for different empires, I had an interesting notion.

What if each empire had one resource type (which was different for each empire; so each resource is "useless" for one empire) that provided no immediate, tangible benefit to the empire?

That is to say, what if each resource was simply "left in the ground" by one empire or the other, rather than being harvested and spent on equipment?

It would still be indirectly valuable to capture and hold that resource, simply to deny it to the other empires, but would provide no direct benefit to empire X to hold.

Could this be a fun component to the resource system? What, if any, advantages do you feel this could prove to provide? What are the disadvantages? Discuss!
Old 2012-04-09, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: "Useless" Resources?

That will promote stalemates even further... But the thought is interesting, I'm always up for innovations.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NCLynx
Major

It's been stated that certain resources would be more useful to other factions. So I'm assuming that 3 are gathered and the 4th one that you spend to get things is gained through time/kill/points. Of the 3 that are gained through land control, each faction uses all 3 but also lean towards using a specific resource the most.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-09, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Any resource in abundance becomes "useless" if the inflow of the resource exceeds the outflow and you are sitting at the resource cap.

However, having resources mean different things to each empire means that even a "useless" resource has strategic value (but this is also true even if the resources are the same). Your empire might not need that resource for ground vehicles, but you might observe that an enemy empire is barely scraping by with that resource for their aircraft. Thus, you could go out and capture more of that resource that is essentially useless to you but quite vital to the enemy. But that isn't unique to their design approach.

The things I don't like about having resources provide different functions for each empire are...

1) It prohibits having areas of a continent or even entire continents that are geared more towards one style of play than another. If, for example, all empires had the same "Aircraft" supplying resource, then there could be continents that either have extreme abundances of that resource or extreme scarcity. It would change the entire strategy of combat on that continent since everyone would be equally deprived or have abundance of that resource. Since they are not doing that, this is not possible and I think it makes the resource model more limiting. Additionally it limits continental value as some continents might be rich in a resource so people go there to stockpile so they can then take those resources to a continent where that resource might be a lot more scarce (or perhaps entirely absent). Their current design prohibits both of these options.

2) It makes it harder for newer players to learn the true value of resources. If every empire shared the same resource types then it's easy to know the usefulness of a resource and easy for a new player to figure out that if they go and take that stuff that gives their own empire aircraft they will simultaneously deprive the enemy. With them being different then that's more to learn and remember in order to effectively use or convey a strategy of resource deprivation.

Because of the above, I'm not particularly sold on their current design.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-04-09 at 02:56 PM.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

pretty sure i saw a thread on here the other day that referenced highby as saying that Auraxium is the common resource, used by every faction for the same thing (what that actually is, i can't remember. XP unlocks or something else general to all factions)

But interestingly, resource #1 is used more by TR for non-tank vehicles, VS uses it more for air and NC uses it for more Main battle tanks. So a Main battle tank for the NC uses 10 units of auraxium, 10 units of #1, 10 units of #2 and 50 units of #3

similarly, resource #2 is used by VS for non-tank vehicles, NC for air and TR for main tanks.

etc.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Doesn't make much sense to me. I'd rather see resources being more valuable to one empire then another based on the resource.

Vanu Tech or some form of potent energy would be more useful in all Vanu equipment and vehicles then the TR or NC, while the TR might have higher need for conventional fossil fuel and NC would have a much smaller need for this due to efficient engine design, but have a greater need of salvage or a type of metal for their heavier armor.

Things that reflect the empire over all.

I haven't read about the resources yet so that's just my idea on how things ought to work.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

I assumed that each empire has two resources that theyre personally interested in. And auraxium is the common pool everyone wants.

So that the resources always force the three empires to combat each other. I.e. the Vanu want Corazite, and so do the TR. But the Vanu also want to Betamine that the NC have and require.

reminds me of this.\/

Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

im guessing that the resources deep inside enemy territories are the most useful for your faction, while the nodes in your factions home hexes are practically useless...thats how i would design it anyway.

unless they feel like doing it the other way around...

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-09, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
im guessing that the resources deep inside enemy territories are the most useful for your faction, while the nodes in your factions home hexes are practically useless...thats how i would design it anyway.

unless they feel like doing it the other way around...
"Time to strike it out into the dangerous world of Auraxis and find that stuff I... wait what's this? It's what I need! Praise the lord of convenience that this giant mine of needed material is in my very own backyard!"

Wait this doesn't work. If everyone has what they need then they don't need it, instead they would need something else... Like killing the other guy for what he has!

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-04-09 at 08:28 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion