"Suicide" buttons and means to suicide. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Am I in heaven?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should we be allowed to die like an Emo?
Yes. 26 30.95%
No. 58 69.05%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-10, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Re: "Suicide" buttons and means to suicide.

I think the poll is a little skewed because the "Yes" option doesn't really cover all the bases. That being said, I don't want a specific key/function for it, but grenading/blowing up a turret/drowning is fine.
Old 2012-04-10, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Zulthus
Colonel

If there was a suicide button:

But no. You can kill yourself with a rocket or something.
Old 2012-04-10, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Deconstruct where you have to stand still for 10 seconds or whatever is fine.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I think Planetside got this one right.

- Give us deconstruct at a spawn area to spawn somewhere else
- Give us recall to get back to a spawn area when out in the field randomly (put it on a reasonable cooldown and give it a countdown before it activates)
- Allow us to blow ourselves up with C4 if we don't want to wait for the cooldown.

I dont' like the idea of a /suicide. Its not necessary if we have the above options available to us. I think /suicide would just get abused by people who wanted to grief others by denying them the kill. Although if /suicide had a cooldown it might take the place of the old boomer method of rapidly relocating.
Agreed.

imo a /suicide type command in a game has the purpose of bringing a player back to spawn so that they can regroup. With a recall option or deconstruct this is unnecessary.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
NCLynx
Major

If your stuck, /stuck or recall to the new footholds. No /suicide.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-11, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
There are already too many idiots that find ways to kill themselves already just to keep you from getting a kill.
There goes my entire view on this subject, moving along.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-04-11, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
If your stuck, /stuck or recall to the new footholds. No /suicide.
/stuck would still be an escape if instant. In fact, if there was a /stuck I would want it to open a pop-up where you have to make an entry about how you are stuck so that they can attempt to fix it.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-11, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Guys really? lol.....

simple fix. Last person to hit the guy within X amount of seconds gets the kill.

they already said they were doing xp for kill assists.

so instant /suicide I agree with.
Old 2012-04-11, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

"Press B to put gun in mouth"
Old 2012-04-11, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Xyntech
Brigadier General

The devs seem to want to cut out unnecessary unfun bits. Is it really necessary to have it take 5 minutes running around a huge map because you made a mistake?

Suicide with a delay or suicide that gives kill credit to the last enemy who shot you seems fine to me.

Also, deconstructing at spawn tubes should still be in, with the advantage that there is no spawn delay and you keep all of your current equipment for free. Deconstructing also wouldn't count as a death, while suicide would, for those who care.

I don't really feel that strongly though. As long as it wasn't being abused to prevent enemies from getting kills, I don't think it would be a big deal, but I don't think the game would suffer without it either.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
The devs seem to want to cut out unnecessary unfun bits. Is it really necessary to have it take 5 minutes running around a huge map because you made a mistake?

Suicide with a delay or suicide that gives kill credit to the last enemy who shot you seems fine to me.

Also, deconstructing at spawn tubes should still be in, with the advantage that there is no spawn delay and you keep all of your current equipment for free. Deconstructing also wouldn't count as a death, while suicide would, for those who care.

I don't really feel that strongly though. As long as it wasn't being abused to prevent enemies from getting kills, I don't think it would be a big deal, but I don't think the game would suffer without it either.
You'd have to add code for last person to shoot the vehicle you were in as well. At which point there would be conflict because you had 2 "last persons" so then you'd need code to make a difference between the two.

Reason you need all this is because the primary use for boomering yourself was if you got shot down and bailed in order to prevent your opponent from getting the ace combat kill skill, then boomering yourself to prevent your opponent from scoring a kill period.

On the other hand I've often bailed from aircraft in dogfights. Sorry but it's my survival over your ego in my books. Bail and immediately whip out a flaklet or whatever I have that I can use against you to keep fighting despite my odds growing slimmer by the second. I may have cost you your precious ace combat reward, but that isn't my problem. That stupid ejection seat jam thing was irritating as hell and I hated it. I really hope they don't put that in.

Game would also have to tell the difference between aircraft being piloted AND in flight, and aircraft not being piloted. Because if you code in that your airplane counts for combat ace even if you bail from it, anyone could kill any empty aircraft left parked on the ground somewhere and score up ace combat kills.

This situation is where the suicide problem comes into play. If people had a means of instantly killing themselves, they could probably do it in their vehicles/MAX suits as well.

Also it cheapens lives. Faster isn't always better in Planetside.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-04-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
You'd have to add code for last person to shoot the vehicle you were in as well. At which point there would be conflict because you had 2 "last persons" so then you'd need code to make a difference between the two.
I disagree. Just track the last person who did damage to you, whether you were in a vehicle or not. The damage is done to the vehicle, but the kill tracker is applied to the individuals within. That way if you bay and kill yourself, the last person who shot the vehicle gets the kill credit. On the other hand if someone shoots you after you bailed but before you suicided, they would get the credit (assuming they don't both get the credit, one for the kill one for the assist, etc.).

Reason you need all this is because the primary use for boomering yourself was if you got shot down and bailed in order to prevent your opponent from getting the ace combat kill skill, then boomering yourself to prevent your opponent from scoring a kill period.

On the other hand I've often bailed from aircraft in dogfights. Sorry but it's my survival over your ego in my books. Bail and immediately whip out a flaklet or whatever I have that I can use against you to keep fighting despite my odds growing slimmer by the second. I may have cost you your precious ace combat reward, but that isn't my problem. That stupid ejection seat jam thing was irritating as hell and I hated it. I really hope they don't put that in.
Killing yourself just to deny someone a kill is just pathetic and is the whole reason why most people would have a problem with a suicide button.

Bailing to save yourself and continue the fight is an entirely different matter though. I would argue that you should be able to eject and keep on fighting, although I would also argue that the person who shot you down should get credit for an air kill if they kill you shortly after you bailed. PS2 sounds advanced enough that it should be no problem. You get a chance to kill the guy who shot you down, they get a chance to still get an air kill counted in their favor. Seems fair enough to me at least.

Game would also have to tell the difference between aircraft being piloted AND in flight, and aircraft not being piloted. Because if you code in that your airplane counts for combat ace even if you bail from it, anyone could kill any empty aircraft left parked on the ground somewhere and score up ace combat kills.
As I said before, just keep kill tracking being based on the player not the vehicle. If the vehicle blows up with you in it, it counts as a kill. If it blows up with nobody in it, it doesn't count as a kill. Just because you aren't taking damage to your health bar doesn't mean it isn't you who is counted as being shot at when inside a vehicle. Based on the proposed design, a passenger of a vehicle who kills themselves would also give credit to the last person who shot the vehicle (assuming no one else shoots them afterwards), just as that person would have gotten credit for everyone on board if they blew it up while it was fully loaded.

This situation is where the suicide problem comes into play. If people had a means of instantly killing themselves, they could probably do it in their vehicles/MAX suits as well.
Problem? Vehicles exploding on suicide could potentially be bad, but they could just come to a stop fully intact with their driver dead inside instead. MAXes would just slump over and die. You would be losing resources on those wasted MAXes and vehicles with little to no benefit of any kind, especially given that MAXes (presumably still) have run mode and vehicles are fast enough so that being stuck in the middle of nowhere will be unlikely to be much of a problem.

Same rules apply. Last person to shoot you, in or out of the vehicle/max/etc gets the kill credit, whether you are in or out of the vehicle when you suicide.

Also it cheapens lives. Faster isn't always better in Planetside.
Can't deny this, but life is already pretty cheap the moment you can respawn. If there were appropriate disadvantages and limitations to the suicide, it would mostly be used to get out of tedious situations. I'd be much more concerned with the cheapness of life in firefights if spawn times are too low, because that would affect everyones gameplay all at once, not just some poor sod stuck in the middle of nowhere who just wants to start playing again.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I would argue that you should be able to eject and keep on fighting, although I would also argue that the person who shot you down should get credit for an air kill if they kill you shortly after you bailed.
As far as kill credit and the attendant resource/experience rewards go I'd say they should get credit as soon as you bail. This person is presumably performing air superiority work, and one way or the other they forced you out of the air.
Old 2012-04-11, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
As far as kill credit and the attendant resource/experience rewards go I'd say they should get credit as soon as you bail. This person is presumably performing air superiority work, and one way or the other they forced you out of the air.
This is what I would have said. The moment I bail, I'm going for ground based AA, not a combat ace kill.

Likewise, the moment I bail, you aren't attempting to shoot my aircraft out of the sky, you are attempting to take out a ground target. You already shot the aircraft out of the sky and should already have gotten the credit for it (not a kill credit, but credit towards ace combat none-the-less).

The flaw is that the PS1 system was entirely dependent on the kill system. You HAD to kill your target while he was piloting a plane in order to get credit for shooting that plane down. This means that any fixes that were fair to both sides meant one side could score 2 kills. One for destroying the aircraft and getting a kill count tick for it, and a second for killing the grounded pilot. So what did they do? They added a stupid malfunction to the ejection seat so if you tried bailing after your plane hit 10% health, you might not be able to bail at all.

So in this particularly case, I sincerely hope that you simply need to damage/destroy an aircraft in flight in order to get that ace combat point, not kill the pilot.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-04-11 at 06:38 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion