Colonel

Super Heavy Battle Tanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Y5W4vhctXUE

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-01, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Super Heavy Battle Tanks

I watched that twice.. and not for the tanks..
Old 2012-04-01, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

A battleship on land? Hmm I think that maybe too much for this game and you think BFRs were bad lol.
Old 2012-04-01, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
A battleship on land? Hmm I think that maybe too much for this game and you think BFRs were bad lol.
Good point...if we actually did have naval combat, it is going to be all small boats and no battleships or anything because of the inevitable BFR comparisons?
Old 2012-04-01, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TheDrone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Good point...if we actually did have naval combat, it is going to be all small boats and no battleships or anything because of the inevitable BFR comparisons?
Battleships (or spaceships) isolated from regular continent-based combat could work just great.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Yeah battleships for ocean is fine even if it helped capture land facilities near the water. I just don't want something like that on land.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
tylerNC
Private

Something of that scale would be cool, but it would be hard to balance.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stardouser
Colonel

Now, battleship cannons should function both as artillery and as ship to ship cannons I would think. But since they shouldn't be able to fire more than about 3/4 k/m inland, that should be ok...
Old 2012-04-01, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
NCLynx
Major

The Super Ultra Insane Turbo Vanguard.

The Gigantic Mega Deluxe 18 Seat Prowler.

The Cruise Ship Magrider.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to become such a discussion. That video is Wargaming's April Fools joke. Please don't discuss naval combat, it's super lame and doesn't belong in Planetside. This is the future. They can make craft that can fly and hover. Why would they make boats?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-01, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
TheDrone
Sergeant

Battleships on oceans would obviously be used to block the transfer from resources from that continent. Then the objective would be to either use other battleships to take the enemy fleet out with long range tactical bombardments. You'd have a captain, a few gunners for the main guns and a bunch of other gunners.

The awesomeness would really start when both sides would try to capture/sabotage the other side's ships with ground combat.
You could use amphibious craft and galaxies to get the troops to the other ships and capture section by section in intense close-quarters combat.

EDIT: I agree it's unlikely the future would have ships. But this would be for exactly the same reason they wouldn't have ground warfare: because you can bomb everything/anything from orbit.

However, space combat in the same manner would also be awesome.

Last edited by TheDrone; 2012-04-01 at 01:21 PM.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stardouser
Colonel

Naval combat is not lame and it absolutely has a place in any MMOFPS. Just because some people don't want to engage in it doesn't mean it has no place.

Also, whenever I try point out that a lot of people who like shooters don't like future theme, some people try to say, oh it isn't THAT futuristic, we still fire bullets except for VS. If it's not THAT futuristic, then I don't think Battleship weight vehicles can hover...but if they can, OK, so we can have airships instead of sea battleships. But guess what happens when we talk about airships? People cry BFR.

So basically, large capital-istic units, some people are just going to resist the idea no matter what. Life goes on around them.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Moved this and gave it a temp redirect link, just to avoid this thread to become a actual discussion. :P
Old 2012-04-01, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
The difference between a Battle Shi pand BFR.. especialyl with PS 2.. is that a battle ship could be borded and the crew attacked. BFR's didn't allow for situations like this. Having large boats is an entirely different thing. Haven't super massive land vehicles would be jsut as fine if they requried a crew and coult be sabotaged/boarded and stuff. I think it woudl be very interesting, if there was a way of limiting them so there weren't 50 of them at a time.

I nfact... things like this may be exactly what clans can have and hold. Large, team oriented vehicles designed to be fantastic at battle supremacy and support, but vulnerable to attack from forces that can get to it if they aren't protected by defenders. Heavy Resource costs, high reward, high risk from raiding parties (sort of like a base).
Old 2012-04-01, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to become such a discussion. That video is Wargaming's April Fools joke. Please don't discuss naval combat, it's super lame and doesn't belong in Planetside. This is the future. They can make craft that can fly and hover. Why would they make boats?
Resources....? There are resources in the water too.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge