Planetside: Anarchy on a grand scale or something more? My fears. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Too many Vanu, not enough clips.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-20, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

I dunno. I've been part of some pretty good teams in T2 just by doing a pickup game...altho yeah, by far many more loose groups of loners trying to be the hero.

I think the more time folks spend in game, working with others, playing both defense and offense will educate (at least some of them) to the power of a 'team'.

others...yeah, it'll be a free-for-all with them wanting to be 'masta-killa' and looking to others to support them and take the blame while they go off and try to be the big-shot. the true test will be when the two different types meet on the battlefield.

team thinkers will rule, loners will be just another body bag.
Old 2002-12-20, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

By all means, words are free
Old 2002-12-20, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

monthly charge will keep most of the smacktards away i hope =)
Old 2002-12-20, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
CrazyMike
Sergeant

This issue has come up since the first days of publicly discussing PlanetSide. Fishy hit the nail on the head. When it comes to FPS games there really is two worlds out there: Public matches and Clan matches. Everyone knows when you "go pubbing" you aren't likely to find a lot of teamwork. Only when it comes to organized clans do you really start to see true teamwork in FPS games.

How does this affect PlanetSide?

Well in PlanetSide you will still see both styles of play. The main difference is that it will all happen in the same world. Yes there will be morons who refuse to work together. Yes people will try and go solo. Yes you will have a hard time finding a "pick-up group" that truely works together as a team.

This will no doubt be frustrating, but on the other side of things you will also see organized teamplay. People WILL forms into outfits. There WILL be outfits that excel over others at teamwork. This is what makes an MMOG world so exciting. The diversity of gameplay is what really makes these things shine.

The really painfull thing is that it is going to take a month or two for things to settle in once the game releases. Those first couple of months will no doubt be complete anarchy as people get used to the game.. the limitations of the TK system.. and train themselves to get used to the difference in gameplay between PlanetSide and all the other more traditional style FPS games out there. It will be agravating as hell, but it will happen. Sooner or later though things will settle in and PlanetSide will truely shine.

They just have to get the growing pains out of the way first.

CrazyMike
Old 2002-12-20, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dragoon412
Corporal

I've played UO, EQ, Jumpgate, DAoC, and AO - all persistant worlds, all with a monthly fee, and sadly I can say that in my experience, the smacktards are still out there in great numbers.

But don't get me wrong. Fee-less FPS games have a special breed of illiterate smacktard that puts other genres' lamers to shame, in terms of sheer stupidity. So if you're coming from a background of Q3, UT, T2, or the largest collection of assclowns on the 'net that is Counterstrike, the crowd WILL seem more mature by a large margin. If you come from games run on Battlenet, you'll be in for a very pleasant suprise, as, get this: there actually people on the internet that are <I>not</I> complete and utter cockmongrels.

So, yeah, the MMO crowd tends to be better than other games, but don't expect the idiots to be the minoroty.

And one more bit of bad news: until you've dealt with the elitist wankers that comprise most uberguilds, you have no idea how lame people can be...
Old 2002-12-20, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
quiet
Staff Sergeant

Anarchy on a grand scale = NC wins

I think the intentional tking topic is pretty interesting. Seems like an outfit that put a lot of effort into assaulting a base might legitimately have twitchy trigger fingers in regards to friendly non-outfit hackers stealing there base cap. I think an outfit that tk'ed a lot would find themselves griefed back. Even if that happens it isn't neccesarily a bad thing, inter-faction feuding might add an intersting element to the game.
Old 2002-12-20, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

If you come from games run on Battlenet, you'll be in for a very pleasant suprise, as, get this: there actually people on the internet that are not complete and utter cockmongrels.
Thanks for confirming this Dragoon412, I came from the Delta Force series (all Battlenet). Those people pissed me off so much There were the cheaters that sucked even though they were cheaters. You shoulda seen them, it was pathetic, and then ther were the idiots that would get you killed ie. shoot a LAW right beside you then run off Oh well you said I'd be in for a pleasant surprise

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion