SOE appreciation thread - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: <3 teh sigbot.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-26, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DarkSkyes
Corporal

SOE appreciation thread

Im not sure if this is the place for this thread, apologies if so. I just want to take this time to thank SOE. Seriously I have never seen such interaction with a community, replying to twitter posts, posting on forums, replying to emails almost instantly and just going above and beyond to give us information Smedd, Matt, radar, arc, t-ray especially. These guys even work on their days off and are always available, its insane!

I understand you guys have a game to make and this is a job at the the end of the day. I'm sure you have targets and goals that have been set for you and it can be stressful I'm sure, but please be rest assured that the whiners on this forum and others are a very very small minority and I know just from our outfit and the 100s of people we play with that you guys are extremely appreciated. I know people that are in the tech test and they are just blown away with what you guys have created, they just cant wait for us all to see it.

You have made a dream come true for so many people you just don't understand.

I'm not a fanboy and I hate that word but I have played lots and lots of games over the past 10-12 years and never seen such dedication from a development team.

I'm sure I type this on behalf of everyone when I say..
Thank you.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sephirex
Major

Re: SOE appreciation thread

Very nice post.

Very exciting game from a great team.

Hopefully we'll all be seeing Beta invites shortly.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I really hope they keep this mentality up. I hope all this community interaction doesn't cease the second the game officially drops. The guys at SOE seem really genuine, but I still wouldn't put it past SOE to suddenly and severely change without warning.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-26, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Xeller
Corporal

People need to realize how open SOE has been. They care about their community, and their game. They are doing the best they can. Seriously, SOE is a great team and they are making a great product. Once this game comes out, we will all forget about this dark time.

Despite this...

*Begins passing out flame suits*
Old 2012-07-26, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
JxP
Private

I have been very impressed with the communication from them thus far as well. If we get half this level when the game releases it will still be better than most companies.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Novice bot
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xeller View Post
People need to realize how open SOE has been. They care about their community, and their game. They are doing the best they can. Seriously, SOE is a great team and they are making a great product. Once this game comes out, we will all forget about this dark time.

Despite this...

*Begins passing out flame suits*
Well, I kinda like them myself, but you forgot this certain group called former SWG players.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SFJake
Sergeant

Yeah, I've seen that a few times. Promising, communicative developers that goes the silent and self-centered route. Its especially important in a game like Planetside.

I really wish more companies did that, to be honest. Its pretty much the first company ever, where the people over there feels like normal people, in a manner of speaking.

Its hard to see the passion if you only see a business.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DarkSkyes
Corporal

Agreed, I have played most games out there that are known and never seen this. Genuine guys that love games and can have a laugh with you at the same time. I could actually chill and have a beer with any of them.

No uptight sealed lips developers with robotic responses.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Novice bot View Post
Well, I kinda like them myself, but you forgot this certain group called former SWG players.
There are hidden costs to working directly with Lucasarts.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

I used to look at SOE in a very negative light. My first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies and I wasn't happy with the direction that game took. So much so I skipped out on MMO's for a long time. I used to think that SOE would ruin everything they touched.

Things change and now look at them. They're actually doing a lot of things right, and I have to say I'm more than happy to give SOE my money for PS2 (already did during the July 4th sale). I like how much freedom the devs such as Higby and TRay have to talk about the game, and I really appreciate the amount of thought and community interaction that's gone into it.

How things can change. It used to be that BioWare was my favorite developer and SOE was one I didn't think highly of. Now I have a great distrust and dislike for BioWare and I really like SOE.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Beem
Private

SOE can get appreciated when they manage to not screw this up. Until then i'll hold my breath.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
There are hidden costs to working directly with Lucasarts.
Making a deal with LucasArts is like making a deal with Satan... Or Darth Sidious... Or something else bad. I've never heard anything positive from a standpoint of "we worked with LA and it was GRAAAAATE!"

On a more serious note

SOE is a pretty open company. I've seen other companies take an interest in their player base (EgoSoft, for example) but there aren't many of them. How many times around here has somebody made a thread about Higby's hair, or ArcLegger crashin' galaxies, and a few minutes later said person chimes in. They're here quite a bit, and they're generally nice enough folks.

We need to remember that. It's not some fantasy evil empire, or "they're out to get me" thing going here. It's regular people. Nice ones, too, that I've seen. Be patient with them.

And stop taking the idiotic attitude "they're a big company, and they took my money so they aren't allowed to make mistakes and they must be perfect and kiss my ass at all times".

We all need to sit around the campfire and hit a few, ya know? Where's Basti?
Old 2012-07-26, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
DarkSkyes
Corporal

Yep, remember guys you don't need to spend 0.1 cent if you dont want to, this is a FREE to play game (still cannot believe this to be honest). If you don't like it, uninstall it and you have lost nothing.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Harasus
Sergeant

Yeah, they seem like good guys making the game. From personal experience, the community interaction seems to drop after the game is actually released, but that is all up in the air.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

Just to get it out of the way, this is easily one of my favorite dev teams of all time...

That said, I can honestly say this is the last thread title I ever expected to see. For as long as I can remember, SOE has been the EA of the MMO world. Famous for screwing up games (famously SWG, but I lost track of how many times I, or others, quit PS1 because of SOE).

However, I am perfectly happy to be proven wrong (and thus far even Smed is lookin like a changed man, and he used to be the devil).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion