THE Beer Thread - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean that I
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-02, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #151
MgFalcon
Captain

Re: THE Beer Thread

Originally Posted by Danicia View Post
Happy IPA Day back to you! I've got 30 minutes to go before I'm off work. I'm meeting a friend over at Bangin' Burgers right after work and I've got a VERY good list of things to choose from: http://sandiego.taphunter.com/location/Bangin-Burgers

Which one do you want me to try first? I'll be updating to my http://untappd.com/user/Danicia with my choices (And badge unlock )
Oh damn, I have no idea about any of those West Coast brews! But as a default I would say go with the Stone Double Hopped IPA - on draft of course!
Old 2012-08-03, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Firearms
Sergeant

Missed this thread but I was on the most Scottish of Scottish IPA's - Punk from Brewdog
Old 2012-08-03, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #153
Chufty
Contributor
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

IPA day you say? Hmmm....

Punk is an awesome idea, or maybe Grain. I'll see what the Offy has on offer.
Old 2012-08-03, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #154
Sirro
Corporal

I might've missed IPA day but I made up for it today, got a bottle of Devil Dancer from the shop, can't wait to try it I always seem to miss it!
Old 2013-04-11, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #155
MgFalcon
Captain

So to necro both myself and this thread I present to you my YouTube channel devoted to beer:
I'm gonna be talking about a lot of cool things here, so if you guys are interested please make some noise and tell me what you want to see!
Old 2013-04-11, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

The gauntlet has been thrown down at this house. We're brewing 8 different beers every 10 days, and entering them in local competitions (including the triple crown for Sierra Nevada's Home Brewer of the Year award). Once the homebrew season is over, we'll be looking at getting training for an industrial 5-barrel rig and setting up a brewery.

So right now, I'm getting to drink what will hopefully be some of the best beers of many varieties this year. Though I did have a Ruthless Rye yesterday, quite a satisfying beer!
Old 2013-04-11, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
So to necro both myself and this thread I present to you my YouTube channel devoted to beer: (video)
I'm gonna be talking about a lot of cool things here, so if you guys are interested please make some noise and tell me what you want to see!
Good video! I typed some comments as I watched:

An English IPA like Meantime can be enjoyed a bit warmer. As an IPA warms up, the flavor profile changes, sometimes helping more of the malt or yeast flavor come through (though yeast should be fairly subdued for most IPAs).

Hops actually have a variety of alpha acids and oils that are found elsewhere. Geraniol (from geranium) is an example of this. Though they do have a diversity of flavor profiles, just like their close relative cannabis.

IPAs are generally hoppier beers. Centennial hops are where I'd imagine the 1st one got its name. Its a more citrusy hop when its fresh, but hop aroma and flavor break down first, so an older IPA or one made with older hops may lack those characteristics.

That second one sounds like an IPA that is meant to focus on malt as well, almost like a stronger amber ale. Sounds like fun to me. Third one, seems alright, nothing wrong with a can if you have a glass to pour it in!

You are right about their IPAs, but porters were a gutter beer from the dreg runnings of 3 different beers which was cheap enough for porters to buy. It wasn't until much later that it was codified into a real beer style. The idea of shipping liquid across a distance is moronic, so the shipment of beer ended up being a silly process where it needed the hops to stave off spoilage. The first bit of history about IPAs is definitely correct, but I never heard that second story about the company. They could be related though, as I don't think the empire itself was directly manufacturing and shipping the beer.

I'm with you on hating industrial lager. Its piss.

I have a Neverwinter Online glass beer mug from E3 last year. ^_^

Ugh, why are you chugging those beers? IPAs are for enjoying, not for chugging!

Last edited by Neurotoxin; 2013-04-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 2013-04-11, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #158
luvthesnapper
Private

to go on a trek to find some Yuengling in Tennessee
Yuengling is my favorite "everyday" beer. It's my go to when I don't want anything too exotic. It's just a solid, easy drinking lager. I live a block from the original Dogfish Head brewery, so needless to say, I spent a hell of alot of time there in my 20's.
Old 2013-04-11, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by luvthesnapper View Post
Yuengling is my favorite "everyday" beer. It's my go to when I don't want anything too exotic. It's just a solid, easy drinking lager. I live a block from the original Dogfish Head brewery, so needless to say, I spent a hell of alot of time there in my 20's.
I drink Yuengling as an everyday beer as well, though lately it's been a lot more Troegs. I live in PA, just over the Delaware line, so I've also spent plenty of time with the Dogfish Head brews. I like them, specifically the 120 minute, but they experiment so much that sometimes I'm afraid to try some of their beers ;P I do love their restaurant down at the Del. beaches though, their infused vodkas/rums are really good for being mainly a brewer. As good as they are though, I love Victory beers, may be because I'm closer to them :P Between the those two major breweries I get more than enough IPA's.

I did visit Troegs two years ago though, and lately I've been drinking them more often than the others. I've also been through Lancaster Brewing, Victory, Dogfish Head, Ironhill, Nodding Head, Slyfox, and a few more breweries... My brother is a huge beer nerd, he's always got a few kegs of different stuff ready and one or two in the works(he doesn't bottle anymore). Most of the tours were cool cause they were private, since he seems to know all these brew masters somehow. I try tons of different stuff because of him, and it's weird looking back on my college days of key light and natty bo cause I wouldn't touch that stuff now. I went with him to try Pliny the Elder and Younger this year in Philly, I wasn't too impressed personally but the 500 beer nerds around me were. Personally I'd be just as happy with a Yuengling, though I was glad I got a chance to try it.

All in all, I'll try any beer but for every day beer I'm good with whatever someone gives me(free beer = good beer). Yuengling for at home/any day, Pacifico/Yuengling for the beach, and I prefer stouts for the winter(<3 Ironhill Russian Imperials).

btw MgFalcon, your video was good. Informative to people who really know nothing about the differences between the beers(besides taste). I never liked IPA's but over time of trying my bros beers I've 'acquired' the taste for them. Stopped on the way home today to get some more Lagunitas Hop Stoopid and Imperial Red in the fridge
Old 2013-04-11, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
Kyonye
Contributor
General

I never really enjoyed IPA's until I bought a Double IPA from a local brewer near me. Captain Lawrence

They haven't made it in years and I do miss it. While I was in college I was all about lagers but little by little I started to appreciate ales more. Now I can't get enough of ales.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2013-04-11, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
luvthesnapper
Private

I do love their restaurant down at the Del. beaches though
I live in rehoboth beach, and most people refer to their restaurant as their "original brewery" I've noticed. That's why I said I live near the brewery. The actual main brewery is still in Milton, I believe.

They always had great food too. For 10 bucks you got 2 big slabs of local flounder, and a huge side of fries. It was enough for 2 people, easy.

A buddy of mine was stuck on magic hat for a good 2 years, back in about 2003. He wouldn't drink anything else. Not sure if that was more local, or what. I don't see it half as much these days, around here.

Honestly, some of Dogfish heads brews are the ultimate of "acquired taste". You really have to be a beer lover, to enjoy some of them. I can't remember the brew, but I remember thinking one of them reminded me of melting PVC tubing. Very "chem" tasting.
Old 2013-04-13, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
MgFalcon
Captain

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin View Post
Good video! I typed some comments as I watched:

An English IPA like Meantime can be enjoyed a bit warmer. As an IPA warms up, the flavor profile changes, sometimes helping more of the malt or yeast flavor come through (though yeast should be fairly subdued for most IPAs).

Hops actually have a variety of alpha acids and oils that are found elsewhere. Geraniol (from geranium) is an example of this. Though they do have a diversity of flavor profiles, just like their close relative cannabis.

IPAs are generally hoppier beers. Centennial hops are where I'd imagine the 1st one got its name. Its a more citrusy hop when its fresh, but hop aroma and flavor break down first, so an older IPA or one made with older hops may lack those characteristics.

That second one sounds like an IPA that is meant to focus on malt as well, almost like a stronger amber ale. Sounds like fun to me. Third one, seems alright, nothing wrong with a can if you have a glass to pour it in!

You are right about their IPAs, but porters were a gutter beer from the dreg runnings of 3 different beers which was cheap enough for porters to buy. It wasn't until much later that it was codified into a real beer style. The idea of shipping liquid across a distance is moronic, so the shipment of beer ended up being a silly process where it needed the hops to stave off spoilage. The first bit of history about IPAs is definitely correct, but I never heard that second story about the company. They could be related though, as I don't think the empire itself was directly manufacturing and shipping the beer.

I'm with you on hating industrial lager. Its piss.

I have a Neverwinter Online glass beer mug from E3 last year. ^_^

Ugh, why are you chugging those beers? IPAs are for enjoying, not for chugging!
Thanks for the support! (Both you and Assist) Yeah the chugging was a bad idea haha, it took me about 5 min to do them all and did seem like a waste butttt it added a nice flare for the end of a first video, I don't know if I'll continue this tradition. And I love the information you have there! Definitely something worth keeping in my working memory!

I'm working on my next video right now, I really do want to educate people on beer. Most YouTube videos that are on beer right now are purely reviews, which as a beer geek/nut I find boring, so thusly I made my own channel to be entertaining and informative!
Old 2013-04-20, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

To get a bit more technical about it....

Style

BJCP Style Guidelines - Index to Categories

BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) has style guidelines laid out for every style they recognize for competitions. If you want to learn about different styles, how they are designed, how they differ from other styles, this is the most definitive list I've ever seen. This is not a fully comprehensive list though, as many one-off beers don't have any representation except as a "specialty" beer for that style. A White IPA is an example of this, a witbier grist (maybe increased for extra alcohol) and yeast, plus a hop profile that is appropriate for an IPA, would end up being a "Belgian Specialty Ale" (16E. in the style guide). I'm excited to see a new style guide, as brewing has evolved and expanded immensely since 2008.

Yeast

To learn more about yeast, my two favorite yeast manufacturers:
Wyeast Laboratories
White Labs

Wyeast Laboratories Yeast Strain Guide and Yeast Style Guide are great resources for trying to determine the type of yeast that ought to go in a beer (based on their products). Their Pitch Rate Calculator has been an invaluable tool, allowing us to know how much yeast we're adding to each brew to be sure the yeast can properly ferment and complete a diacetyl rest so the beer doesn't taste like buttered popcorn and bandaids (especially important to get a good diacetyl rest for Belgian yeasts).

White Labs is another yeast & inoculant manufacturer. There's nothing much to add beyond what Wyeast Labs has, just different stuff available and how they present the info.

-----------

I hope that this information will help provide a much more thorough and in-depth understanding into all of what goes into making beer, both materials and process.

Next time I post, I'll have some info on Hops and Malt.
Old 2013-04-23, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
MgFalcon
Captain

Want to learn about glassware? Also some cool terms about beer? (Like the technical name for a beer enthusiast?) Well I got some good news for you guys!

-------> new video

Old 2013-04-23, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Another good video!

Definitely give us links or bottle close-ups, so its easier to track the brew down.

Quinn's Amber Ale - Wachusett Brewing Company -- http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20/27
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.php#1d

Celtic Red - Harpoon Brewery --http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/beer/119/Celtic-Red
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.php#1d

Julius Echter (You'll have to find the link, I can't quite match the bottle with a listing).
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style15.php#1a

Gotta get the yeast sludge into the glass with a wheat beer. Use a bigger glass and slosh a bit of the beer at the bottom of the bottle to get the remaining yeast, or kick the yeast up off the bottom before pouring by slowly rolling the sealed bottle over a flat surface (or turning the bottle upside-down for a minute or 2) until it is mixed in with the beer. It can be a bit chunky in the bottle, but it'll generally stretch out and diffuse through the pouring process.

Quinn's is definitely on the lighter end of an amber ale, but it looks like the color counts. It sounds like a light session beer, definitely acceptable for the style. Celtic Red sounds more like the stronger end of the style.

I love watching the head on the hefe slowly receding but still hold strong over the course of the video. At least 50% wheat malt had to go into it, and the rest of it is probably more wheat plus pilsner malt. The yeast is a major feature with a hefe, and the beer would taste exceptionally different with an American wheat yeast.

Hah, beer cocktails. Make a beer float with Lindeman's Framboise Lambic and some good quality vanilla ice cream like the do at Yard House restaurants!

Zymurgy, the study of fermentation.

I'd like to see you do just one beer, giving the name and metrics of the beer, talking about the history of the style, what its supposed to have in it, and why it is in the glass you selected for it. And drink the whole thing, talk about how the aroma and flavor change as the beer warms up, because a lot of beers gain character as they warm.

Last edited by Neurotoxin; 2013-04-23 at 03:36 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge