Kinetic Dampeners - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Come for the PS2 info but stay for the Russian mail-order bride ads.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-21, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
zMessiahz
Sergeant

Of course that doesn't count as civil Point is I was, he wasn't, so I stopped being. But I will go back to civil as long as someone isn't flaming me.
Old 2002-12-22, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

That's what I thought. Just checking... I'd just have to watch my back in these forums if that counts as civil is all.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2002-12-22, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

In reality a MAX would not build up more momentum than a bullet on its way down. A fly can have the same kinetic energy as an 18-wheeler truck if the truck is moving slowly. The max is heavy, yes, but the bullet which is moving MUCH MUCH faster would still have more energy. It's also more concentrated on a point.
Old 2002-12-22, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

We Vanu have magic powers, and these magic powers are what makes it so you take less damage when you fall. If you want to stop a bullet we have a magical implant that will do that for you, because, well, its magic. I would tell you how this magic works but its a high up Vanu secret that only a few of us know, and we wont tell the rest because...uh....we dont trust you. End of discussion.

On a side note i think they should call the shield implant an IDF, like in infantry.
Old 2002-12-22, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
zMessiahz
Sergeant

The concentration on a point is the important part! But I say the MAX would still have more kinetic energy falling then a bullet out of a gun would. Imagine the MAX landing with one foot and on the bottom of that foot was a spike whose tip was the size of a bullet. Which yould you rather get hit by? I guess it really depends upon the height at which the MAX dropped from, but at terminal velocity it most centaily would have more momentum then a bullet. The mass of a max would be what... about 1000 kilograms? Maybe even more! So you are talking in the range of 5 orders of magnitude larger then a bullet. Is the speed of a bullet 5 orders of magnitude larger then the speed of the falling MAX?
Old 2002-12-23, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Jeezus Mess! I don't post for 2 days and you h8 me already?

Plus, the "you make me sad" portion (and pretty much the entire thing itself) was written in humor, albeit a dry and sarcastic kind. I guess I assumed everyone know's what I'm really thinking. But oblivioius is my middle name, so I guess this happend.

This whole thing I don't take seriously AT ALL. So if you don't want to continue, that's also fine. You win!

But not because you're right.

**edit: The reason why I acted more "hostile" in your eyes was probably because the former post by YOU called for it.

Originally posted by zMessiahz
Zarp, come on man, the kinetic energy released from you falling or something hitting you is the exact same thing.
Try a new approach, and consider it a mental game

Last edited by Zarparchior; 2002-12-23 at 10:38 AM.
Old 2002-12-23, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
zMessiahz
Sergeant

Aiiight. Then its all good. I hadn't meant to be hostile either.

We can go back to our regularly schedule TR and NC bashing then!
Old 2002-12-23, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Yay! teh Vany!
h8 teh Communist-Nazis and Hippies!
Old 2002-12-23, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Tegadil
Corporal

Originally posted by zMessiahz
The mass of a max would be what... about 1000 kilograms? Maybe even more! So you are talking in the range of 5 orders of magnitude larger then a bullet. Is the speed of a bullet 5 orders of magnitude larger then the speed of the falling MAX?
Just so you know...

Mass has NO bearing on the falling speed of an object. None. Area does, gravity does, mass does not. It does however paly a very large role when it hits the ground. But none in flight.
Old 2002-12-23, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I think they were discussing how a kinetic dampener would work when striking the ground after falling from an airplane. So I took it as kind of a given that he was talking about when the objects hit something (the ground, a person, whatever), not necessarily while they are in flight.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2002-12-23, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Tegadil
Corporal

Originally posted by {BOHICA}mistled
I think they were discussing how a kinetic dampener would work when striking the ground after falling from an airplane. So I took it as kind of a given that he was talking about when the objects hit something (the ground, a person, whatever), not necessarily while they are in flight.
Arghable, guess I read it wrong.
Old 2002-12-23, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
zMessiahz
Sergeant

heh Tegadil... the concern here is momentum (p=mv), not speed. Thus the comparison between a MAX's mass and a bullets speed (well ok velocity).
Old 2002-12-23, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Hey, I know what - when you jump out of an aircraft, you don't die when you hit the ground. That's cool. Is cool not enough for you?

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2002-12-23, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
zMessiahz
Sergeant

Sure it is, but I can still make fun of it though! You've never made fun of a sci-fi movie/game/book?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion