Kinetic Dampeners - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Less chat, more splat
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-19, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Technically speaking, it doesn't so much stop all kinetic energy, it just safely releases kinetic energy during the transfer. And it only does this for you own mass. A bullet transfers its own kinetic energy to your body, and the inability to deal with this unwanted energy is what causes the damage. However, when you fall from somewhere high, what happens is that your body gains kinetic energy and when it splats on the ground, the damage is actually the inability to transfer the kinetic energy in a satisfactory way.

That is why if you jump off the roof, do not bend you knees and land on just one foot/leg, you will break it - while if (assuming you know exactly how) when you land you distribute your weight more evenly and (to further distribution) roll, you will suffer much less damage.

KDs, in a simplistic sense, allows you to "roll" and evenly distribute kinetic energy YOU have built up.

So there.
Old 2002-12-19, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Archonxvi
Private

Technicly, a bullet hitting you at high speeds has the exact same effect as you hitting that bullet at the same speed.....

The real question is "do they actually dampen the energy, or do they just increase friction"
Old 2002-12-19, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

"Technically" yes, but that's because you don't have a Kinetic Dampener, do you?

Oh, and as for "increasing friction" wouldn't that be creating more "harmful" energy (and thus, defeating the whole purpose)?
Old 2002-12-19, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Would almost cause as much harm as falling on a bullet.
Old 2002-12-19, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Camping Carl
Major

Ha! So if people shoot at you, all you have to do is jump on the bullets!

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-19, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

My brain hurts after reading this thread

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-19, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Originally posted by Camping Carl
Ha! So if people shoot at you, all you have to do is jump on the bullets!
... No...

The energy you would be adding (which would normally just make the bullet hit harder) would just be nullified/dampened, but the bullet itself would still transfer all of its kinetic energy to you none-the-less.
Old 2002-12-19, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Camping Carl
Major

Oh, come on... I can dream, right?

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-19, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Originally posted by Hamma
My brain hurts after reading this thread
My brain hurts from reading every thread
Old 2002-12-20, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
zMessiahz
Sergeant

Zarp, come on man, the kinetic energy released from you falling or something hitting you is the exact same thing. Its all kinetic energy of the armor itself. Its all a frame of reference question. You can just as easily say the ground is rushing towards you instead of you to the ground. In fact, if you were falling fast enough a rock would become just like a bullet. So if a kinetic dampener can release enough energy so that a fall caused no damage it could do the same for a bullet!

Some one said earlier about maybe the KD repeling off the ground. You could explain the lack of fall damage with something like this, but it wouldn't be a Kinetic Dampener. Also, everyone would rightfully want to be able to apply that thrust to jump with (ala T2).

There is, of course, a solution that allows falling to be safe and bullets not with a kinetic dampener; however, the arguement that things hitting you vs you falling will not get you there! Try a new approach, and consider it a mental game
Old 2002-12-21, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

A mental game? You make me sad. The fact that you're using real life physics in an unrealistic game for an unrealistic scenario is ludicrous! Anyway...

The KD does not stop bullets, make you invincible toward any damage, become a thruster, make the ground into a soft and sticky goo that will cushion your fall.

IT RELEASES KINETIC ENERGY ONE WAY - and that is through the mass that it is attached to.

Is it so incredibly hard to grasp this? What you're claiming is that the transfering of energy is instaneous. Are you so naive as to think the travelling speed of light is instaneous as well? If kinetic energy can be transfered instantly (i.e. no begining point and no end point) then what you say is correct. Then there IS no difference between transfering one way or another. But since we live in universe where absolute zero is impossible, you cannot make this naive claim that it is the same thing.

The KD does what I have told you multiple times. It dampens the kinetic energy that is being gained BY THE MASS IN QUESTION. Not any other mass! Not the bullet, nor the ground. Kinetic energy GAINED by the mass in question is released safely when contact is predicted. It is able to detect when harmful contact with another solid caused by the mass in question's OWN kinetic energy is the factor. Nanoseconds before actual contact, the kinetic energy is released in the form of another energy type (one unrecognized by us at this time). This alternate energy type is sightless, tasteless, almost indefinitely undetectable. Only through using some of the alien technology (which we do not entirely understand at this time) we are able to see how this extra kinetic energy is dispersed.

I still cannot believe you're saying the ground rushing at you or you rushing at the ground is the same. THINK! Look at where the kinetic energy starts! Is it in the ground, or is it in you (being the object in question)?
Old 2002-12-21, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
zMessiahz
Sergeant

I make you sad? Got some pent up frustration with yourself? I make a joke about some game technology and you decide to argue with it. Which is fine. I happen to have fun doing that. But apperantly, you take those arguements seriously while somehow telling yourself that others are the ones being ridiculous. Instead of insulting other people why don't you look at yourself for a little bit. After all, you are the one who decided to go beyond just having fun with a hypothetic situation and become insulting. Why do play games like this if you are oh so grounded in reality?

Can't use real life physics on something unrealistic? Tell that to the countless successful sci-fi writers who try to make their stories as solid and believable as possible. Yes, there is a direct correlation to popularity a feasability in sci-fi writing.

Naive am I? I have a degree in Math and Physics. My best friend is just about done with his PHD in solid state physics. What background do you have that not only makes you such an expert but also makes you think you can judge others knowledge?

"The KD does not stop bullets, make you invincible toward any damage, become a thruster, make the ground into a soft and sticky goo that will cushion your fall."
I hope you aren't attempting to put these claims on me. If so, you need to reread the posts. My claim, after I gave you the point of saying this KD could only release energy of the mass it was attached to, is that something that could dampen kinetic energy could stop a bullet from damaging you. And that if it were reversibe it could speed you up.

Absolute zero does not exist? So tell me Grand Vizier, what exists past the furthest photon in the universe? Where no matter or energy is present? Dark Matter? No, there is NOTHING. Sure, its a concept we can hardly wrap our minds around, but it is there. Besides that, nothing I claimed requires an absolute zero, or instantaneous time.

As I have stated I gave you the point of the KD only transferring energy away fromt he mass it is attached to... just for prosperities sake. While doubtfully true, it does involve, as you stated, a technology we can't hope to understand, so it becomes simply a matter of opinion. However, physics is another thing. After that point, nothing I claimed transfers energy from anything but the mass the KD is connected to. Nowhere in this arguement was it stated that you would stop the bullet itself. The fate of the bullet is inconsequential so long as the KD can safely dissipate the energy that would be transfered into the mass it is connected to. Now you add another assumption that the KD would predict contact, but you imply that what amount to collision detection would work for ground but not a bullet. That is ridiculous as well. Technology capable of dissipating kinetic energy could easily detect incoming projectiles, ground, dust particles, or even individual photons. And nanoseconds? Are you telling me that it takes less time then nanoseconds for a bullet to rip through armor and flesh? Do you realize how little time you are talking about? If this KD can release energy within nanoseconds then it could easily stop any damage from a projectile.

You still believe there is a difference between the ground rushing at you or you at the ground? And you call me naive? Ever heard of a 'frame of reference'? They teach it to you in basic relativity. But nevermind, its rhetorical question anyways since it is so painfully obvious that you have not. In the case of falling kenetic energy is created due to the acceleration of gravity. You know, that force that attracts two bodies of mass. What you seem to not realize is that both masses pull on EACHOTHER. Its not a one sided situation. The pull is equal in both directions. This is FACT. Proven over an over. If I push you out of a plane above the ground, the potential energy of you and the Earth is exactly the same.The ONLY reason you say that you are falling to the ground is because you have had it drilled into your little head since the day you were born that the "proper" frame of reference is the earth. That it does not move and you do. That does not make it reality though. If you consider yourself as the frame of reference, the the Earth is rushing towards you. Please go learn some basic physics.

You finally in that post hit upon an arguement that you could have used to have it your way. Unfortunately, you decided to become a prick instead of thinking it out properly. Is that your defense mechanism when you are faced with something you do not understand?

Stay civil and I will as well, otherwise I will respond in kind.
Old 2002-12-21, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Ding Ding Ding

ROUND ONE

LETS GET IT ON!!!!

Keep it clean ladies, gloves above the belt.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2002-12-21, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Uhm.. does it count as 'civil' when you call someone a prick?

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2002-12-21, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I was honestly about to get in this happy little discussion of physics.... but then I realized that I no longer have a clue which of you is arguing what anymore. Oh well.....

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion