Situational Awareness [More Red Dots] - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: please don't kick the buckets. They're filled with high explosives.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-31, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pella
Captain

Situational Awareness [More Red Dots]

Now i would of posted this on forumside. But i have given up over there with so many idiotic people.

My question is why isn't your HUD mini map filled with red dots of people that are shooting?

It is either a technical problem because of the sheer numbers of players in a location so your minimap would be somewhat all red which effects performance. Or a simple case that the devs have overlooked the importance of such a thing.

Any decent FPS has this function, And any decent player utilizes the minimap, to judge cover, or flank the opposition. And all round give you a better situation awareness.

Devs need to tweak this as i am 100% sure it would give a more diverse and tactical meaning to infantry combat.

Also Infils would be immune to this via a cert in armor, and overrides a silencer when they use there radar gun.

LA/MEDIC/ENGIE Can use a silencer to not show up on the minimap while shooting. But HA cannot cert into a silencer.

Makes sense?

Last edited by Pella; 2013-01-31 at 02:17 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rockit
Banned

Re: Situational Awareness [More Red Dots]

I wonder if when they add Interlinks, will they provide the same radar benefit as in PS1? That would be superb!
Old 2013-01-31, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rolfski
Major

I'm not sure about all your suggestions but one thing is sure: This icon spaghetti interface that dares to call itself "mini-map" is in dare need of an overhaul, starting with a zoom function.
Old 2013-01-31, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
I wonder if when they add Interlinks, will they provide the same radar benefit as in PS1? That would be superb!
Yeah would be awsome. Clegg tweeted asking did they have a supressor?

Now 90% of people that kill me on the ground dont have a supressor. Yet they didnt show on the minimap.
Old 2013-01-31, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Now i would of posted this on forumside. But i have given up over there with so many idiotic people.

My question is why isn't your HUD mini map filled with red dots of people that are shooting?

It is either a technical problem because of the sheer numbers of players in a location so your minimap would be somewhat all red. Or a simple case that the devs dont understand the importance of such a thing.

Any decent FPS has this function, And any decent player utilizes the minimap, to judge cover, or flank the opposition. And all round give you a better situation awareness.

Devs need to tweak this as i am 100% sure it would give a more diverse and tactical meaning to infantry combat.

Also Infils would be immune to this via a cert in armor, and overrides a silencer when they use there radar gun.

LA/MEDIC/ENGIE Can use a silencer to not show up on the minimap while shooting. But HA cannot cert into a silencer.

Makes sense?
because it is extremly taxing on the cpu in the ps2 scale and because not every one has a 100MB/S connection . making this would either make the game unplayable for people or give unfair advantages to others
Old 2013-01-31, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Phantomdestiny View Post
because it is extremly taxing on the cpu in the ps2 scale and because not every one has a 100MB/S connection . making this would either make the game unplayable for people or give unfair advantages to others
Seriously? There was no difference in latency in PS1 during interlink farms. And that was playing on a 250k connection back in the day.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Seriously? There was no difference in latency in PS1 during interlink farms. And that was playing on a 250k connection back in the day.
i still have a 250k connection and this game has more data to accommodate than ps1 .
Old 2013-01-31, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rockit
Banned

They really need to focus optimization, well actually pretty much everything to do with the minimap. It's kinda useless really.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

I thought default for mini-map zoom was the "H" key...

The lack of enemies appearing on radar when firing their weapons is pretty weird. AT first I thought it was just me looking too late...but nope. They don't show up.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by belch View Post
I thought default for mini-map zoom was the "H" key...

The lack of enemies appearing on radar when firing their weapons is pretty weird. AT first I thought it was just me looking too late...but nope. They don't show up.
Most FPS's have this function fine tuned. And any Avid FPS player uses it to there advantage. But when its not working it feels like a massive hole is missing.

Clegg seems to brush my tweet under the carpet. So i presume technically it kills performance. Not sure.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-01-31 at 02:23 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Dots only show if they fire.

There are two other options in game, both radars. If you want to see more dots, I suggest you get a pilot with the scout radar equipped to 200m. The other Vehicle radars only go out to around 50m and only show to those in the Vech. The inf also has a tool that spots, conversely they also have a tool to "spoof" targets in your map. Lastly, suppressors are awesome.

I have never run into a situation where someone has fired and are not shown on the map.

There are options in game, use them.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-31 at 02:20 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post

There are two other options in game, both radars. If you want to see more dots, I suggest you get a pilot with the scout radar equipped to 200m.

Yes the scout radar works. But is massively underused.

But when someone fires it doesn't 90% of the time. It feels random. I think it could be effected by the render distance. And there is no option ingame to show red dots on you minimap...

Last edited by Pella; 2013-01-31 at 02:23 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dragonskin
Major

There are two other options in game, both radars. If you want to see more dots, I suggest you get a pilot with the scout radar equipped to 200m. The other Vehicle radars only go out to around 50m and only show to those in the Vech. The inf also has a tool that spots, conversely they also have a tool to "spoof" targets in your map. Lastly, suppressors are awesome.

I have never run into a situation where someone has fired and are not shown on the map.

I think the issue is more that when enemies fire they don't reliably show on the minimap. I know I don't see most of the red dots that should be showing around me in intense battles. You can't tell me that 90% of the population is running silencers... I don't know anyone that does outside of infiltrators.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Yes the scout radar works. But is massively underused.
Who's problem is that? Not mine, not the developers.

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
I don't know anyone that does outside of infiltrators.
I do, and I run mostly medic. I never said everyone uses them. But my Antecedal evidence, that is equivalent to your Antecedal evidence is that I have never seen someone firing that did not show up on the map, sans silencer.

I think it could be effected by the render distance.
Could be, If they are not being rendered, you are not receiving data, thus no position is reported to your client, let alone actions. But other than the cases where rendering becomes an issue, I din't think its an issue. Has been rather reliable in my experience. The Render issue is not persistent across all engagements.

I would suggest if you think this is happening, bring proof, it wont be hard to test. Get a friend, find a spot, fire. Until then, I would hold off on making derogatory accusations about the ability of the development staff.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-31 at 02:28 PM.
Old 2013-01-31, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Pella
Captain

Who's problem is that? Not mine, not the developers.
Not sure what you trying to get at here. But i am talking about people fireing without a suppressor not showing on you mini map.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-01-31 at 02:29 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion