High Altitude Stalling - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: People don't kill people, lasers kill people.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-19, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Miir
Malvision

High Altitude Stalling

I know the dev team has mentioned that the flight model on air vehicles will be more realistic in Planetside 2. I'm really excited to see just how real it feels.

That said... I'm wondering how they are going to handle the ceiling limit this time around.

I thought it might be cool if rather than hitting an invisible barrier at a set altitude (like in the current Planetside) your air craft would instead stall out and fall back toward Auraxis. During the stall phase you would just be in a free fall waiting on an engine restart with limited controls.

If each vehicle had a slightly different stall height this would allow some interesting evasion/combat tactics.
Old 2011-07-19, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: High Altitude Stalling

I could buy into this. OR, a system where when you go above "optimal atmospheric threshold" or whatever, the engine performance rapidly degrades. This way, you can push higher for a while, but your agility and speed would be lessened, allowing those below you to outmaneuver you.

Such a system would create a "soft cap" by offering your diminishing performance returns. Eventually, you'd hit the hard cap by virtue of just not being able to generate enough upward thrust to go higher, and trying would, yes, stall you out.
Old 2011-07-19, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

I agree with all of this very good ideas. A solid cap that you just slam into sucks - losing power or something as you ascend would be awesome. It also adds another element of strategy to flying.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-19, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Low power Galaxy drops. Oh man. I can see it now. Hit maximum sustained altitude, then adjust your glide slope to efficiently deliver your payload on target and quickly hightail it out of there.

Who's with me?

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-07-19, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
I thought it might be cool if rather than hitting an invisible barrier at a set altitude (like in the current Planetside) your air craft would instead stall out and fall back toward Auraxis.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-07-19, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Would be cool if different aircraft had different flight ceilings. I bet they're going to do something like this, and be able to upgrade your aircraft with more power to reach higher altitudes.
Old 2011-07-19, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Desoxy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
Would be cool if different aircraft had different flight ceilings. I bet they're going to do something like this, and be able to upgrade your aircraft with more power to reach higher altitudes.
I agree, they could do some real nifty things with the new PhysX system, as long as we do NOT end up with this:

Old 2011-07-19, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

You'd be dead in a quarter of a second if you were mulling around in your cockpit like that.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-19, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

At least it would kill off the mossie farmers.

Old 2011-07-19, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

It would be cool to have aircraft require a little more skill (i.e. move toward more of a simulator than FPS). But that's a difficult thing to balance fun and simulation (see World War II Online as an example).

A somewhat unrelated feature I've always wanted in PS is the ability to turn off your engine while in the vehicle. That way you can be stealthy to ambush prey and be able to hear better (in a tank or ATV).
Old 2011-07-19, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bing
Private

I'm all for anything that gets rid of arbitrary limits while simultaneously creating new strategies and flavor.

+1 from me.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Valdae
Sergeant

Its a nice idea, I can already imagine a pilot choosing to push his aircraft to the limit, and seeing the warning lights coming up!

You'd have to make all the aircraft altitude peaks the same, with maybe an extra 200 feet achievable for a few seconds before stalling. The idea of some aircraft being able to go higher than others would present too many tactical imbalances if they could remain at that height indefinitely.

Last edited by Valdae; 2011-07-20 at 12:07 AM.
Old 2011-07-20, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Desoxy View Post
I agree, they could do some real nifty things with the new PhysX system, as long as we do NOT end up with this:

DCS: Black Shark -Clean Start up Procedure
What are you talking about? I would fucking love that!
Old 2011-07-20, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
CutterJohn
Colonel

I've no issues with aircraft flying really high, and well beyond the range of AA. Air superiority fighters would have to keep the skies clear up there.

The only real limitation should be that air can't, or can't reliably, attack from up there. Like dropping bombs and soldiers from a galaxy(no oxygen!). To do those things you should be within the range of ground based AA.
Old 2011-07-20, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Like dropping bombs and soldiers from a galaxy(no oxygen!).
HALO dropping from a Galaxy isn't unheard of... especially since most players are in armor that would obviously have its own air system.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion