H1Z1 and the cannibalization of Planetside 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Medic! Arghhh...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2014-04-10, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mordelicius
Major

H1Z1 and the cannibalization of Planetside 2

I haven't played Planetside 2 for almost a month (since the Liberator update; when my fully armored, fully upgraded, fully weaponized Sundy spawn get vaporized by a hovering Liberator in 3-4 seconds while me guarding it, the threshhold was finally crossed and I figured the Devs need more time to fix broken basic stuff that makes this game unplayable).

Just a quick list of things that made PS2 unplayable almost a month ago:
- Broken spawn (weapons not being tested on the sunderers first; it's one thing to treat the Flash like trash, but to a Sunderer it's a huge blunder).
- Broken respawn (being sent all over the place even if you're defending in the middle of the base).
- Broken redeploy - Sent to the other bases you didn't pick. Worse, sent to other continent.
- Game imbalances: eg Sniperside and persistence of low risk/high reward gameplay. Also, Sniperside, killed mass infantry charge since the headshot buff. Combined push as well, esp on bridges since us Engineers are getting sniped and we can't repair the maxes and vehicles. And healers are getting killed hence = dead push all the time.
- Faction imbalances: continued childproofing of a certain faction.
- Server imbalance: an errant tornado, aka WDS Preseason 2 caused much devastatiion by incidentally promoting server migration to a winning side and faction stacking.
- Amerish Latice is underdeveloped, causing alot of ping-pong battles between limited chokepoints (most of which are close to each other).
- Not enough GMs policing 5th column griefers, teamkilling and sabotaging vehicles and equipment.

So I figured, rather than keep posting/complaining about the same thing over and over, I'll just wait until they will eventually fix most of that and make PS2 playable again (more fun than it is frustrating), such as the planned balancing patch for April.

Then all of sudden they released a lot of details on their new sandbox, post-apocalyptic game H1Z1. That got me thinking of two things:

First point: Are still focused on Planetside 2? With many of the broken basic stuff, do they still have enough developers on PS2. And i'll surmise/speculate/wonder out loud, are they be moving people to this new project?

Because if a lot of the most basic gameplay is broken, it just scream lack of personnel.

Second Point: Alot of these features on this game is advanced and should have been on PS2.

- Buildable/Destructible "Fortresses" as Smedley would call it. I've always thought they would eventually add home Continents in PS2 with players being able to build their own bases and upgrade defenses like shields, turrets, drones, etc. But here, it's already built-in.

In PS2, you're not even allowed to park your Sundy on their magic No Deploy Zone, or even put mines Vehicle pad or a jump pad. Yes, that vehicle pad that 90% of time would be in front player spawning a vehicle, cannot be mined!

- Size of H1Z1 is of "several order of magnitudes" larger than PS2. I understand they will eventually have a seamless PS2, but then again, they already put this by default on the other.

- Modular features. I've always felt that vehicles in PS2 should have been modular, which means you can fix certain parts if the vehicle breaks, instead of just spawning a new one all of the time. It's one of the reason why I don't use vehicles in this game at all, except for the Sundy spawn and Flash scout/transport. In H1Z1, Smedley talks about being able to fix outlying vehicles with parts you must scavenge.

Overall, this, to me, sounds like game cannibalization. They cater to the same gameplay and audience, with the new one having the more advanced features. Thoughts?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion