Remove camping spawn buildings from meta game - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of Hamma, creator of the word "Jackhole"
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-10-17, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Miir
Malvision

Remove camping spawn buildings from meta game

Bring back the spawn generators instead.

I'm not sure why it was removed in the first place but I'd rather the fight end than just sit and camp each bases spawn room at every encounter.

As an example: Yesteday I was at Snake Ravine with about 30 magriders camping the spawn room as we waited for the base to flip. In the spawn room there was about 10-15 NC that kept trying to push out. Each time ending in them being killed. I do see a purpose for this. It was boring as hell to sit there in the mags and I'm sure the other guys weren't having much fun either.

So why is this even a part of the game?
Old 2012-10-17, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
evilsooty
Private

Re: Remove camping spawn buildings from meta game

Agreed.
Old 2012-10-17, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
FatherJack
Private

Because when the SCUs were at smaller outposts my personal experience 100% of the time went like this.

1. Arrive at base.
2. Run to SCU, find it completely undefended and blow it up.
3. Cap base with minimal resistance.

Fights at outposts are now actually interesting. When I am camped by 30 tanks I just spawn somewhere else, the battle is lost. I see people getting spawn camped who come out of the door to face a 20 man firing squad and all I think is why?
You will be waiting for the XP anyway at least you have something to shoot at.
Old 2012-10-17, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Miir
Malvision

Originally Posted by FatherJack View Post
Because when the SCUs were at smaller outposts my personal experience 100% of the time went like this.

1. Arrive at base.
2. Run to SCU, find it completely undefended and blow it up.
3. Cap base with minimal resistance.

Fights at outposts are now actually interesting. When I am camped by 30 tanks I just spawn somewhere else, the battle is lost. I see people getting spawn camped who come out of the door to face a 20 man firing squad and all I think is why?
You will be waiting for the XP anyway at least you have something to shoot at.
What it was then and what it now is exactly the same. Just at different ends of the spectrum. They just need to find that middle ground where things encourage a good fight and discourage a drawn out campy ending.
Old 2012-10-17, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

It doesn't matter where they move the spawn area to, there will always be a point where the attackers can spawn camp. SCU, as FatherJack pointed out, only served to end a battle before it began. I don't think that any conventional wisdom will solve these issues, because if that were the case they would already be resolved.

Teleporting defenders out of the spawn room to one of several locations might help. Drop pods instead of spawn rooms might help. Large underground facilities with many spawn points might help.

But the best solution is already in the game:

Spawn somewhere else and come back with a bigger offensive than what the enemy has taking the point.
Old 2012-10-18, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Drop pods instead of spawn rooms might help.
This is probably the best idea, as it not only prevents camping but the pods themselves could make Tanks more cautious about approaching bases.

Spawn somewhere else and come back with a bigger offensive than what the enemy has taking the point.
And how do you suggest we get this army?
Pull them out of our ass?

Fact is, some of us don't have huge Outfits backing us up, so reinforcements are most likely NOT coming because they are too busy sitting on the FUCKING CROWN to give a damn about the rest of their Faction...

Hell, I'm usually the only guy IN my Outfit online most of the time...

Originally Posted by PoisonTaco View Post
You have many options to choose from when you spawn. Why do people keep spawning at the one that's being camped? Spawn at the next closest point and launch a counter attack to retake the outpost you've lost.
Because, sometime, your only only other choice of Spawn Point is a kilometer and a half away!

Hell, if there was actual coordination in this game, voluntarily throwing yourself into the meat-grinder could be a valid stalling tactic.
The more time the enemy is focused on killing you at that particular base, the more time your allies would have to mount a proper counter-offensive.

In other words, those greedy kill-whores might end up screwing their entire Faction's push over just because they wanted to pad their K/D.
Old 2012-10-18, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Figment
Lieutenant General

It doesn't matter where they move the spawn area to, there will always be a point where the attackers can spawn camp. SCU, as FatherJack pointed out, only served to end a battle before it began. I don't think that any conventional wisdom will solve these issues, because if that were the case they would already be resolved.

Teleporting defenders out of the spawn room to one of several locations might help. Drop pods instead of spawn rooms might help. Large underground facilities with many spawn points might help.

But the best solution is already in the game:

Or just create a multilevel spawnroom where there's a number of corridors between the spawnroom and exit, potentially an underground spawnroom with tunnels to various buildings with spawn control unit and control console within the same building so those guys camping actually have to get out of their tanks and fight their way in and hold positions within reach of the defenders, while the defenders can eventually use high ground to fight the tanks instead of relying on two exits that are both camped...

Where have I seen that before?
Old 2012-10-18, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

I'd love to see some tunnels connecting the buildings together. Maybe even a duct or something you duck into that runs from the spawn to the other buildings?

There were a couple of bunkers in PS1 that were linked by little tunnels. Always fun little firefights in those.

Last edited by TheRagingGerbil; 2012-10-18 at 09:39 AM.
Old 2012-10-18, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Tunnels would work fine imo.
Old 2012-11-05, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sir fraggington
Private

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Or just create a multilevel spawnroom where there's a number of corridors between the spawnroom and exit, potentially an underground spawnroom with tunnels to various buildings with spawn control unit and control console within the same building so those guys camping actually have to get out of their tanks and fight their way in and hold positions within reach of the defenders, while the defenders can eventually use high ground to fight the tanks instead of relying on two exits that are both camped...
I was thinking about some form of battlements that can only be accessed via spawn room and give a clear view over key areas while providing cover.
Old 2012-10-22, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

It doesn't matter where they move the spawn area to, there will always be a point where the attackers can spawn camp.
Problem is not the spawn camping IMO. Its that you do not have to fight anyone to be able to.

If the spawns were deep inside the bases like the original, would not be an issue. Fights right now just go to who ever drops the gen. That's outside, far away from the core of the base. Same with the spawn points.

I have no idea why the treat spawn locations, and gens af if they were latrine areas on a forward base.
Old 2012-10-22, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
PClownPosse
Private

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Problem is not the spawn camping IMO. Its that you do not have to fight anyone to be able to.

If the spawns were deep inside the bases like the original, would not be an issue. Fights right now just go to who ever drops the gen. That's outside, far away from the core of the base. Same with the spawn points.

I have no idea why the treat spawn locations, and gens af if they were latrine areas on a forward base.
Yeah, base design could use an overhaul. Everything's strangely spread out, not very logically placed and spawn locations are just weird. Consequently, interior fights (of any length, substance or importance and without a tank breathing down your neck) are almost non-existent, which is a shame IMO.
Old 2012-10-23, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
GraniteRok
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Should be like in PS1, you're not worth much in point value until you've lived for a certain period of time. Fresh spawns should be next to nothing in kill points. Current system is a roughly a one cert point gain for every two kills; 100pts per kill plus bonuses. No kill points then no cert points, possibly lesser camping or at least maybe be able to get out of a spawn to make a fight more worthwhile. Anyone who spawn camps then are padding their useless KDR stat that means squat. Of course, there will be those that will still do so.
Old 2012-10-23, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Miir
Malvision

Originally Posted by GraniteRok View Post
Should be like in PS1, you're not worth much in point value until you've lived for a certain period of time. Fresh spawns should be next to nothing in kill points. Current system is a roughly a one cert point gain for every two kills; 100pts per kill plus bonuses. No kill points then no cert points, possibly lesser camping or at least maybe be able to get out of a spawn to make a fight more worthwhile. Anyone who spawn camps then are padding their useless KDR stat that means squat. Of course, there will be those that will still do so.
I like this idea. It could also be used to help make the leaderboard a little more accurate. If you are killed in the first 20 seconds it doesn't count as a kill towards someones score. I believe this would have a huge positive impact on the leaderboard.

It wouldn't fix the camping of the spawn rooms but it might make it a little less appealing for people that like to farm kills.
Old 2012-10-23, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by GraniteRok View Post
Not to be offensive. You are working with what you have.

However. No one will care how much XP a kill gives. Its all about the number one. One more kill count. one more "Did you see, I totally got that guy, AND his three friends that were right behind him! They had nowhere elese to go, but you see, I'm awesome. Lets go play some Battlefield, this game sucks, I'm not walking to the next base.".

Originally Posted by PClownPosse View Post
Yeah, I think the only way to stop spawn camping is maybe a slight redesign of bases and spawn points, if that's even feasible at this stage?
This seems to be the game-play they want. This is not Accidental design. They do not even have doors on buildings with direct LOS to Objectives.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-10-23 at 01:34 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion