People who don't play in outfits - a growing problem? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beta tested, player approved!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-06, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: People who don't play in outfits - a growing problem?

I personally don't have a problem with it, as long as they don't bitch too much when they get steamrolled and/or can't find/get direction on what to do and where to go.
I don't think i've noticed an increase or decrease of players without tags, but I have noticed a lot of low level BRs.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-06, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
RSphil
Contributor
Major

I have my own outfit but only have a few friends in it. I'd like to get more people in but I just dont have the time to play a lot. I'd farther take good players then invite just anyone but a lot of outfits just take everyone.

I play solo most of the time as a lot of my friends like me work shifts. I think these days a lot of people don't have the time needed to fit in to an outfit. plus good outfits are hard to find as well.
Old 2013-03-06, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Satanam
Sergeant

I don't see any problem about it, but personally I think my outfit it just that perfect compared to some others. When I joined EXE, only thing I noticed that it's needed to stay in the outfit is to respect other EXE members and follow orders when you join an EXE Squad/Platoon. You can go lone wolf if you want to, but if you want some team work, then you can join EXE squads or platoons and follow leaders' orders.
Sometimes you're invited if they need people who often play as certain classes, but you don't need to accept. I always accept it, because it's funny and useful for the faction. I mean, our Galaxy Crash is just that awesome (not so useful, but it's funny), and when we start out tank convoys it's nice to be on such a huge organized group. Spec Ops and small platoons are really nice too. I have some mates on EXE that I like to be with them on aircraft squads too. Too bad I have to work and go college (actually not bad, it brings me money for Station Cash lol), but when I can log in (everyday after 11 pm - GMT -3 - to get passive certs, but sometimes I'm sleepy as hell so I don't keep playing) it's really funny.

Last edited by Satanam; 2013-03-06 at 08:11 AM.
Old 2013-03-06, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

None of those four things are present in War Machine.

We are not a zergfit, nor are we lead by armchair generals, we are casual friendly, and we generally do what is fun.

So I guess my point is that the outfits exist, but any excuse not to join will do. There is always a 'fifth reason' held in reserve.

Old 2013-03-06, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant

I feel that organized, outfit play was the point of PS1 and lone wolf farming was useless. Capturing objectives was purpose of the game because getting to BR20/CR5 didn't require you to farm; it just came naturally from playing the game. If I logged in and there weren't many from the outfit on, it felt like a waste of time.

PS2 is like the opposite of that. Capturing objectives has no purpose and farming is the only reason to play. Unlike PS1, the cert grind never ends. So I can understand why people would avoid outfits. They only exist for the social aspect of the game; the cert gain during most ops is less than farming and the increased organization doesn't really add much to the overall play experience.

Last edited by Bocheezu; 2013-03-06 at 08:44 AM.
Old 2013-03-06, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
It's not a problem for me personally.

But I've seen others consider it a problem because it means less co-ordination between players overall (more zergy game) and obviously dying outfits as less players want to play together = less social environment = less fun for some.
I dissagree with those people entirely. Communication has always been the key to success and nothing is stopping people from from talking and chatting on a level that is comfortable to each person, aside from will and snobbery. If "the big outfits" feel like the only people worthy of their time are those with their guild tag, so be it for them - let them live their solitary lives. The rest of us will push for better in game community building tools and methods to communicate in ways that are comfortable for all players, because we welcome anyone who wants to enjoy the game.

There was a great thread on the official forum where a lot of people posted about how they genuinely enjoy playing the game. "Alone, with other people" is the common sentiment and I think that can work out very well for PS2 in the long run.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...to-solo.95933/
Old 2013-03-06, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I could never play this game alone.

Its just not how its done if you are a big picture player who does not care about K/D. If I wanted to play in just battles, I would play something else. I am playing a war game.

Also, Fear my Napoleon complex!

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 09:08 AM.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Catfart
Contributor
Private

Originally Posted by Silent Thunder View Post
One thing that I think needs to be taken into consideration in a discussion like this is your two diffrent kinds of non outfit members. Namely the diffrence between Lone Wolfs and Pickup Squaddies.
^This. I'm not in an outfit, but I hardly ever play alone. Certainly do not consider myself a Lone Wolf.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
SolLeks
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
None of those four things are present in War Machine.

We are not a zergfit, nor are we lead by armchair generals, we are casual friendly, and we generally do what is fun.

So I guess my point is that the outfits exist, but any excuse not to join will do. There is always a 'fifth reason' held in reserve.
Outfit-X is like this as well, and I believe Praetorian Guard is this way as well.

The outfits are out there, but they are defenetly rarer. I would suggest to play a few nights with a outfit on their TS before joining it. We love people joining our TS to try us out before joining.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

I dont play in an outfit. I am not opposed to outfits, but I have found that most of the outfts in this game are... well disfunctional. Here are my reasons I havent joined an outfit.

1) limited time. I get on maybe once a week. Now that the game is more stale, more outfits are willing to look past this, but there are some that feel there needs to be a time requirement, which I dont get. If this were a competitive game where wins and loses meant something, I could see practice sessions meaning something - but they dont. This is just a fun pub game, not a competitive game.

2) Ranks - ranks and politics ruin clans. The minute I hear an outfit has rankings, medals, awards, etc. I know its going to be bush league.

3) I want to do what I want to do. I tried out for an outfit and we were getting picked off by snipers. They wanted everyone to go heavy and take out the tanks. The problem was I could get one or two rockets off before I died. So I asked if I could help counter snipe. Well, of course the "leader" was not happy. I got frustrated and told them it wasn't going to work out for me. Again, if this was a real team based competitive game, I would care more, but its not. Sure tactics can win bases etc. but they are all gone in a matter of minutes anyway, and more than likely its not your tactics, it was the numbers that won the battle.

Again, I am not opposed to outfits, I ran my own competitive clan/organization for years - so I know its ins and outs. But I have not found one that fits my needs. Until then, lone wolfing it works fine for me. Hell, I don't even join squads anymore in game.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
But I've seen others consider it a problem because it means less co-ordination between players overall (more zergy game) and obviously dying outfits as less players want to play together = less social environment = less fun for some.
Must be a reddit thing. I'm not in an organized outfit, just a friend and I, but I also do my best to communicate with larger outfits. I'm always in leaderchat attempting to help in whatever way I can, but I do it mostly solo/duo. I used to get told to stfu by some people since I wasn't in a large outfit, but most of those guys quit by now or have learned that I do more good than harm.

It's much easier to ask a small squad or a few solos to go and take back ghost capped territory than it is to attempt to get an outfit or platoon to do so. Same with scouting out territory, most on VS Waterson know I don't just blow smoke when I state that a facility needs defense etc, so while I may not be in an outfit I can certainly help the faction be organized in my own way.

To me issues like you described are not a problem with solo players but just general player mentality. A good example would be the TR on Waterson - They have some good players and decent outfits, but it seems like their coordination and cooperation is so terrible that they're not able to get anything done. They have plenty of outfits, plenty of zergfits, but in the end it's the individual players in those outfits who are the cause of their failures. The solo players don't even factor into the problem, IMO.

Also I personally feel that if an outfit is having trouble recruiting that's probably because the solo players are joining other outfits. That's a problem with the outfit itself and maybe it should consider merging itself into another outfit.

I will fall into the #5 category. I don't work well with others always and I know it. I can accomplish everything in PS2 that I want(for now) playing solo or in a small squad. I see no reason to join a big outfit. I don't like the restriction of having to 'go here' or 'go there' that is often the case even in the casual outfits. I prefer just to 'go' usually, and hopefully find something to kill on the way. When/if there's metagame or base changes that require coordinated groups, then I'll hop in an outfit of some sort, but for now I feel like I'm better off doing my own thing and figure out what outfits are left standing when the need to join one comes around.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-03-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Jesus, where are thees gestapo outfits that tread on the single man.

What the hell are you guys signing up for? There is much Hyperbole in here. Just say you are an Antisocial prick and be done with it.

Maybe its not that others don't play well together, but you don't play well with others. After all, we have had near a decade of games telling users "YOU ARE THE Only ONE", I think it went to some peoples heads.

Here are my outfits rules:

1. Don't be a douchebag.
2. Wed night is ops night, its a day to plan for, not a requirement.
3. Stop being a douchebag.
4. If you are online, join the squad.
5. Who ever has lead has lead, you will follow him to the maw of death, you will get your turn if you want it.

I'm way more willing to say that maybe people do not join outfits because they don't know why they would. They dont need one in battlefield after all, they are Rambo! Nothing in game really says why you should.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
evileet
Private

I like to have the freedom of choice.
I'm more the leader guy, actually. So i make my own decisions. When i play in a random squad and the next target is bullshit, i get a bit angry. i don't understand, how can people make such bad decisions and destroy the battle flow or something. So i rather playing alone. Maybe a good, coordinized outfit would be good.

Last edited by evileet; 2013-03-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
5. Who ever has lead has lead, you will follow him to the maw of death, you will get your turn if you want it....
For a lot of players, this isnt fun.
Old 2013-03-06, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rahabib View Post
For a lot of players, this isnt fun.
Those players are not fun.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion