People who don't play in outfits - a growing problem? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Exuse me, i think i left one of my bullets in your brain.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-06, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: People who don't play in outfits - a growing problem?

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
If I'm online it's to play a game and have fun. If I want to fly around in a circle in my galaxy ramming as many enemies as I can, then that's what I'm going to do. I don't need someone sending me tells asking me why I didn't join the outfit's squad. I don't like waiting for a squad member who went AFK, or having the squad wait on my for being AFK. I enjoy the solo aspects while appreciating the group aspects. The difference is when I'm not in an outfit I can do whatever I want without interrogation, which includes following some outfit around when I want to enjoy more organized adventures.
You can call it being anti-social or whatever makes you happy, I call it doing what I want since I have no obligations to anyone and prefer it that way when the game doesn't demand otherwise.
Solo all you want. But this explains why most of your suggestions are completely wrong for the game. You admit you do not play well with others. I Can respect that.

I just find it odd you are not playing a single player game instead. They are much better experiences for the style of play you seem to prefer. IMO. That's not saying Get out, its a confusion.

I Personally do not care if people solo, everyone finds fun differently. But this, "I'm to awesome to play with others", that's just mind numbing. You are missing out IMO on why Online games were created.

I almost want to ask to show us where the outfit doll touched some of you, due to the responses. Because that would likely be just as hyperbolic as some of the reason giving for not joining outfits in this thread. I Have never played a MMORPG for "The game play" ( MMORPG Game play is horrible ) personally, and mainly stick to Team oriented games myself.

I Guess the bottom line is, some people are team players and look for that in games. Some just want to farm, or something, with witnesses they will never know. But I'm sure if you tried, you could find a group of people you enjoy playing with. Trust me, the military style outfits are just not my thing, that does not mean there are not other outfits out there that I would enjoy.

As to the premise of this Thread, are solo players a growing problem. Nope. Not sure anyone cares about them.

But "Oh noz I may have to work with another human", wow. lol.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2013-03-06, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
You need to find a outfit that isn't going to stick you to a overly strict schedule. There are plenty of laid back casual outfits out there that would love to have you that can field atleast half a platoon every night and are not going to stick you with planned nights for ops. As for the comms. Most outfits just require you to at least be able to listen to them. You should really give a Outfit on your server a try. Don't get discouraged if you run into a few bad eggs along the way. Finding a Outfit is like buying a new car. Don't be afraid to give them a test drive till you find the right one.

Best of luck
My problem is what I expect from an Outfit and what I can bring to an Outfit are not in sync.

What I want from an outfit is a tight knig group, that employs good tactics over superior numbers to accomplish a goal. I also want to be able to understand the overall strategy a higher-up is using by looking at the map and evaluating his/her decisions.

What I bring is the willingness to teamplay, WHEN I can log on, for as long as I CAN be online.

Being a player with an erratic play schedule does not FIT with a tight knit Outfit.

Outfits that cater to erratic playtimes are either going to be huge and resort to throwing numbers at an objective, or they'll be no better than a PUB squad, which I can get anytime I want already.
Old 2013-03-06, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Kerrec View Post
My problem is what I expect from an Outfit and what I can bring to an Outfit are not in sync.

What I want from an outfit is a tight knig group, that employs good tactics over superior numbers to accomplish a goal. I also want to be able to understand the overall strategy a higher-up is using by looking at the map and evaluating his/her decisions.

What I bring is the willingness to teamplay, WHEN I can log on, for as long as I CAN be online.

Being a player with an erratic play schedule does not FIT with a tight knit Outfit.

Outfits that cater to erratic playtimes are either going to be huge and resort to throwing numbers at an objective, or they'll be no better than a PUB squad, which I can get anytime I want already.
Then you have outfits like mine, that are slow grown to work together, and have playtime's to plan around because we are all full life adults, and we all understand this. Plan around is not "Required", its a tool for a busy life. We have a ton of fun, and that's what its about.

I Feel Self imposed soloists are more about Ego, no matter how many times they say "its more fun". Because as many have shown, others are an impedance to the awesomeness A Liability if you will.

Yes, working with others takes time. The horror? To each his own.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 11:54 AM.
Old 2013-03-06, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
AThreatToYou
Major

PS1 had much more need for cooperated operations. In PS2, vehicles have less gun seats and less need for gun seats. Probably the most important thing is the TTK being so low; that one player who just isn't as good as everyone else, or just isn't as lucky, can get nabbed off really fast.
Old 2013-03-06, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
Teamspeak. Seriously outfits, what year is it? Upgrade to a respectable voice client.
Show me one that beats TS3 and we will.

Old 2013-03-06, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
PS1 had much more need for cooperated operations. In PS2, vehicles have less gun seats and less need for gun seats. Probably the most important thing is the TTK being so low; that one player who just isn't as good as everyone else, or just isn't as lucky, can get nabbed off really fast.
I'll grant you that on a higher level, individual objectives do not require working with others. As games like battlefield have proven, randoms will converge at some point, "Playing alone, Together". The model PS2 adopted.

But a tight group of 5 guys will wipe the pants of a highly skilled soloist. Unless he has rocketpods

*Looks around at thread*

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 12:07 PM.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Methonius
Master Sergeant

There's only one problem with some outfits and that's when they have 300+ members and throw them all at one base. Then people wonder why the fights aren't more spread out.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Bastard Battalion Matherson

Active Members (last 7 Days): 41 (53%)
Active Members (last 30 Days): 53 (68%)

Not bad at all, considering every member is a working adult, and all that implies. No Gestapo regime here. There are a number of people on my roster who simply did not stick to the wall, or did not enjoy the game itself, that's fine too.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 12:12 PM.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
psijaka
Contributor
Major

I'm definately a solo player.

2. Some don't like outfit politics, having 'leaders' and being forced to listen to their orders. The leaders sometimes take the game too seriously, which is annoying.

3. Others just don't want to join massive zerg outfits.

As well as the above

5/ I play with an iffy broadband connection, so suffer from lag etc from time to time; not keen to let down an outfit because of this.

6/ Can't use any kind of voice communications, as wife/kids often in the living room where my PC is. The last thing they want to hear when watching the TV is me shouting down a mike when things get a bit frantic!

7/ Don't want to be beholden to anyone; don't want to be badly led (as often happened the few times I joined a random squad). I like to play the game my way.

I don't perceive that this is a problem to the game in any way; I like playing together with randoms in some intense action a lot better than running as a lone wolf ghost capping or sniping from the hills.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

whats funny is that there are people who seem to think there is something wrong if people are not playing in outfits.

There are objectives, it doesnt matter if I have some 19 year old screaming at me to take it or not, its obvious what needs to happen to win the battle. If I see a dead person, Ill revive. If I see snipers or HAs around, Ill drop ammo. If I see a damaged tank or a max, Ill fix it. We loners aren't hurting the game at all.

In fact, many of our suggestions to help the game include adding metagame etc. You dont have to be in an outfit to want team based mechanics. In fact many of us like team work, we just may not like certain outfits is all (keep in mind its server locked so you dont get a lot of choice without starting over).

If the game really catered toward outfits, I could see the use - but lets be honest, it really doesn't matter. Your base you just rolled in on with skills... yea its gone in 10 minutes anyway. Once we get some metagame that matters, then maybe we can discuss it.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Mastodon
Private

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
You may want to be in an organized outfit to fight the other organized outfits. Many players enjoy the team vs. team aspect. As a lone wolf, you don't really have many rivals, do you? A few perhaps? As an outfit, you have many, many people that you enjoy fighting against as a unit. It gives that much more depth to the game, for some players anyway. It's one thing just to fight "the whole enemy team" - it's another to fight a very specific faction of the enemy team that you have an extended rivalry with. Sports like basketball and football have such rivalries, so do we.
The team vs. team aspect means nothing to me. I just want to shoot at something that isn't the same color as me, especially if it's red.

I don't understand the whole rivalry bit. Who cares if one shitty outfit really wants to fight me and mine? There are so many people in this game that narrowing it down to one group dulls the experience. As someone who played football from the time I was 6 years old through college, I'm very familiar with rivalries, however, beating someone up physically on a football field, within the rules of the game and beating them up in space Battlefield are not the same thing to me. Probably because I'm not as good at internet warfare as I was at offensive line.

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
3. Such as? Teamspeak 3 is a great voice client for larger scale operations. I've tried using Mumble and Ventrilo, they don't hold a candle to TS3's capabilities and ease of use as far as large scale operations are concerned. I would go back to Mumble in a heartbeat if I was in a smaller outfit though. I've heard of this new VOIP called RaidCall but no idea what it's really about.
Mumble functions amazingly with large amounts of people, the sound quality is better, and I use it for several other games I play. As an example of its awesome, the group of people I play with in EVE have a 5000 person mumble and when war's a brewing there are 1000s of people in it at any given time. The main reason it probably works so well is that we have an entire IT group dedicated to maintaining our out of game assets like Mumble, forums, etc.

I don't understand the distaste I see from many people about so-called "lone wolves". Your posts, whether you intended it or not, clearly illustrates your hostility toward solo players.

We don't all run around as light assaults ghost capping. I almost never go commando behind enemy lines in an attempt to be a space hero. I fight in the same areas as outfits and usually try to lend a hand when I can. I rep vehicles, I rep turrets, when someone says, "I need ammo" I try to find them and throw down a bullet box. Occasionally, I'll even play a medic (although not often). I guard sunderers with a burster MAX. I see other non-outfit players doing the same, constantly.

The biggest difference I see with non-outfit player as compared to outfitted players is that many of us soloers don't need instruction to help fight the bad guys. No one needs to hold our hands and point us in the right direction. I add myself and all of the tools at my disposal to where I think they're needed most, or as Assist has mentioned, where I want to be. By doing so, I'm not hindering you or your outfit's game-play and I'm maintaining my enjoyment of the game.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Wut, there are like, hundreds of outfits on a server, more created each day.

Don't let the notorious ones lead you to believe they are the only options.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't understand the distaste I see from many people about so-called "lone wolves". Your posts, whether you intended it or not, clearly illustrates your hostility toward solo players.
Followed by:

The biggest difference I see with non-outfit player as compared to outfitted players is that many of us soloers don't need instruction to help fight the bad guys. No one needs to hold our hands and point us in the right direction. I add myself and all of the tools at my disposal to where I think they're needed most, or as Assist has mentioned, where I want to be. By doing so, I'm not hindering you or your outfit's game-play and I'm maintaining my enjoyment of the game.
"I'm to sexy for an outfit". You my friend, have missed the point of outfits.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-03-06 at 12:28 PM.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I don't play in an outfit... I rarely play in a squad even, unless a friend is on.

Here is why. There is no reason.

Conquest means zip, zero, zlich, and... nada. I want to get certs/xp -- every single time I've joined some kind of organization, my cert output drops a LOT.

Oh. Let me clarify. From time to time I will join a squad, but only to get squad bonuses if I'm playing support, or if someone wants to get extra xp for repairing my MAX.

If I want to get XP for capturing a base... it's not too hard to just watch the map and drop pod/redeploy to exactly where I want, as the timer is ticking close to capture.

Often (when the option is available) I'll just drop into a battle where my faction isn't even present. More targets (or unprepared targets), more xp!

If I want to participate in a base assault, it isn't too hard to figure out where to go and what to do.

This isn't to say that I don't want to be in an outfit and experience good organization... but until there is a little more weight behind what is happening on the map - I'm just as happy to move from place to place gathering as much XP as I can.
Old 2013-03-06, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Solo all you want. But this explains why most of your suggestions are completely wrong for the game. You admit you do not play well with others. I Can respect that.

I just find it odd you are not playing a single player game instead. They are much better experiences for the style of play you seem to prefer. IMO. That's not saying Get out, its a confusion.

I Personally do not care if people solo, everyone finds fun differently. But this, "I'm to awesome to play with others", that's just mind numbing. You are missing out IMO on why Online games were created.

I almost want to ask to show us where the outfit doll touched some of you, due to the responses. Because that would likely be just as hyperbolic as some of the reason giving for not joining outfits in this thread. I Have never played a MMORPG for "The game play" ( MMORPG Game play is horrible ) personally, and mainly stick to Team oriented games myself.

Some just want to farm, or something, with witnesses they will never know.
But "Oh noz I may have to work with another human", wow. lol.
Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
I Feel Self imposed soloists are more about Ego, no matter how many times they say "its more fun". Because as many have shown, others are an impedance to the awesomeness A Liability if you will.

Yes, working with others takes time. The horror? To each his own.
lol you're such a fucking tool it's ridiculous.

You're an adult? Surprises the fuck out of me. Relating sexual harassment involving dolls to people not wanting to join outfits? Seriously?

You want the truth to why some of us don't want to join an outfit in PS2, just read your own posts. We don't join outfits to avoid asshats like yourself that would make playing fucking miserable because we'd have to listen to you whine and cry about everyone who has a different point of view on the subject from yourself. I'm not saying you're not fun to play with, I'm just saying we'd all be a lot better off if you just played a single player game. It'd be more your play-style, where you can order NPCs around and make yourself feel special.

You seem to think that because we're not in an outfit that we play solo all the time. Almost every person who posted that they are not in an outfit also said that they play in squads sometimes. I'm never logged in for more than 5 minutes without being in a squad. I know, amazing right? You can have friends outside of an outfit! Maybe you can't, but that's because no one outside of your outfit could possibly deal with your attitude.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion