Planetside 2 is a major disappointment - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the "home of the" and "since 2003" quotes since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-10-16, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Planetside 2 is a major disappointment

Natural chokepoints on the map are cool and all, but everything shouldn't be like that. We also don't always need to know where the enemy is. I like the variety of sometimes not knowing when or where you will have the big fight or the skirmish. If you're in an outfit, I also suggest that you have some scouts to find the enemy. The maps are really small in terms of how fast aircraft can cover them and it's easy to pinpoint enemy forces.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-10-16, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

That's true even as a solo - hop in a fighter and you can sweep your entire front from the warp in minutes. Bonus points for getting shot down and spawning right in the thick of it.

I don't get the "can't find a fight" trope. But then, I find every second in the air enjoyable. If you don't, those few minutes could be pure boredom.
Old 2012-10-16, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Valcron
Master Sergeant

I love the ole adage that people keep spewing on these boards "IT'S STILL BETA" I have some amazing news for you folk that keep perpetuating this crap, from here on out this game will ONLY BE TWEAKED A HANDFUL. Major game systems like the terrible class based system ISN'T CHANGING, Smed said it himself, Smed hates a lot of the old concepts of Planetside 1, he even said this right in his twitter feed.
Old 2012-10-16, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by FortySe7en View Post
Sorry, but I was in the 12v12 match talking directly to the developers about up-coming things such as auto-drive, auto-run, lockout-timers, removing auraxium, and flagging for private servers.

If you have a problem with people having more knowledge than you and trying to share it, then maybe these forums aren't for you.

That is all I'm going to say about this. Its beta. Wait until we are closer to launch, and then see where we are at.
THE thing with people like you is that you are incapable of understanding what a beta actually requires:

HINT: Feedback!

What is feedback? Praise? ...Can be. Adoration? Sort off... Is that useful? Not really. Informative praise? Sure. Critique? Can be. Bashing? No. What is bashing? Just saying something sucks without a single valid reason why an continueing like that without ever making a point. Is that the case here? No. Critique that states what is wrong? Definitely feedback! Critique that states how it should be? Feedback. Waiting till end of beta as you suggest? Are you insane? Of course that isn't feedback and definitely not the purpose of beta!

Please, if you use the word beta, then please understand that feedback does not wait for any patch. Certainly not "maybe later patches". Feedback is about the current and potential alternate futures, often with a link to the past. Waiting for any future action means devs had no feedback to work with till then. That wastes time.

So stop saying such foolish nonsense, please.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-10-16 at 06:46 PM.
Old 2012-10-16, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
So stop saying such foolish nonsense, please.
I love when people bring things up from 2 pages ago to try and sound like a hardass. It's been over for a few hours buddy, don't try and stir things up.

And whether or not you think its foolish is of no concern to me whatsoever. I'm just glad the development team is smart enough to go to those of us who know what they are doing, and are experienced in FPS, to get things straightened up in their game.

Hopefully they continue this trend.
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST
Old 2012-10-16, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Natural chokepoints on the map are cool and all, but everything shouldn't be like that. We also don't always need to know where the enemy is. I like the variety of sometimes not knowing when or where you will have the big fight or the skirmish. If you're in an outfit, I also suggest that you have some scouts to find the enemy. The maps are really small in terms of how fast aircraft can cover them and it's easy to pinpoint enemy forces.
Problem is you can scout all you want, the information will not reach your allies until its too late.

There is no proper sharing of information. No organisation possible between outfits and random players that arn't squaded together. Command is non-existent at this point.

Please note that no mission system is going to change that. Mission systems support command, they can't create it because they are long term orders, not split second information divilgion, digestion, procession, debate and extrapolation and coordination, eventually resulting in orders.

Communication is the most basic requirement in proper command. Currently all the chat windows and commands are heavily underdeveloped. Hopefully this will change soon, but I came across entire outfits that didn't know /outfitsay because it is unintuitive crap. /leader was unknown to most as well and voice chat is impractical for large group organisation since you already use it for your own group. It just creates a lot of confusion. :/

Truth is, PS2 can't be ready for launch for a long period of time. March would be pushing it, but they will force themselves to launch in december. This game won't be ready for years to come. Like WoT, it will take years of minor patches to get to the actual v1.0...

As for the class system not changing? Eh, it is less work than some think. It's just something they don't want to consider right now. Since they already got lots of work to do. Can PS2 be a good game? Right now, it is a decent shooter. not yet PlanetSide level of wargame sophistication however. On many levels, large scale (base internals and walls, rather than CY; the metagame, map flow), medium scale (driver/gunner, more vehicles, balance, flexibility of inventory and truly building and developing ones own character) and detail (informative voice macros that are not just spotting related or have limited options, chat, visual recognisability of variants, etc). There are loads of (known) lessons that have yet to be learned.
Old 2012-10-16, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I love when people bring things up from 2 pages ago to try and sound like a hardass. It's been over for a few hours buddy, don't try and stir things up.
I'm not sure time elapsed is a valid defense against being called out on the carpet in an asynchronous communications channel. But hey, I don't make the rules!
Old 2012-10-16, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
I'm not sure time elapsed is a valid defense against being called out on the carpet in an asynchronous communications channel. But hey, I don't make the rules!
Shush you. You might hurt his wee little e-peen.
Old 2012-10-16, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Shush you. You might hurt his wee little e-peen.
Buzz is realllllly slacking on his recruitment these days hmmm?

Is that it now? You pretty much admitting you have nothing to further add to this conversation so you are just going to attempt to troll me?

Just a tip, the reason my e-peen looks so little to you is because you are looking at it crosseyed. Half of it is in your mouth
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST
Old 2012-10-16, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Envenom
Sergeant Major

So if you hate the game so much why are you still here? Go get on with your life and leave it to the people who enjoy it.

/thread
Old 2012-10-16, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Buzz is realllllly slacking on his recruitment these days hmmm?

Is that it now? You pretty much admitting you have nothing to further add to this conversation so you are just going to attempt to troll me?

Just a tip, the reason my e-peen looks so little to you is because you are looking at it crosseyed. Half of it is in your mouth
I see that you have fantasies about balding, hairy backed, middle aged men who haven't shaved in three days. That's pretty disgusting in my books, but to each his own, I suppose.
Old 2012-10-17, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Valcron View Post
I love the ole adage that people keep spewing on these boards "IT'S STILL BETA" I have some amazing news for you folk that keep perpetuating this crap, from here on out this game will ONLY BE TWEAKED A HANDFUL. Major game systems like the terrible class based system ISN'T CHANGING, Smed said it himself, Smed hates a lot of the old concepts of Planetside 1, he even said this right in his twitter feed.
You know why? Because PlanetSide 1 was not a success for SOE. They are a business, it needs to be successful. Smed LOVES PlanetSide 1 but he knows (and most of us know) that PlanetSide 1 in a new skin will NOT be popular for many years and have the player numbers they want.

Things like the class system are items that are needed to make the game more mainstream.

No game matches what PlanetSide 2 can do in terms of scale and tactics even though it has the "Same features" as another game.

More meta game item are coming as Matt said tonight. Vaginal Silicosis will not solve anything and calling PlanetSide 2 Battlefield or COD is narrow sighted and you probably wouldnt have liked the game unless it was cookie cutter from PS1.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-10-17 at 12:18 AM.
Old 2012-10-17, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
cellinaire
Captain

Funny, because

before much of PS2's media was revealed, one of the top changes people have been looking forward to in PS2 was the base design and layout.

In PS1 : same looking towers, same corridors, same path, same square wall, same looking buildings, largely unused bunkers, same color, da** spitfires, etc

And yeah, as Hamma said, plz let's not make 'PS1' a perfect game that never shined just because of lack of marketing and BFR, to emphasize PS2's weak points. It's just that PS2 still should learn a lot from PS1.

Last edited by cellinaire; 2012-10-17 at 12:49 AM.
Old 2012-10-17, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Hoping for PS2 to be just PS1 with nicer graphics is foolish, I agree. PS1 wasn't the success it should have been, and PS2 does need to address the shortcomings that caused that.

However that doesn't mean that ripping out PS1 features that worked well and were popular with players is a good idea. Especially if the replacements are only half thought out and totally untested.

Fortunately the beta has given the devs a chance to partially u-turn on some issues, such as replacing the AMS with the Galaxy, and hopefully we'll see the meta-game and base designs move back towards the proven PS1 standard as well.

But honestly with release only a couple of months away, I think it's pretty clear that PS2 won't really be ready for the mainstream by then - and if it's already alienating much of the existing fanbase, that doesn't bode well for its future.
Old 2012-10-17, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
FatherJack
Private

Originally Posted by Valcron View Post
The system from PS1 was heavily flawed in regards to teamplay. I was playing PS2 last night and in the middle of a fight I needed a medic in my squad to heal and revive. I needed an engineer to drop ammo packs. They in turn relied on me to blow up tanks. This is something that did not happen in PS1 past the first month. In PS1 I could take a med gun, I could repair tanks, I could bring a sniper rifle as well as an AV weapon. This allowed for great flexibility as a single player, I could almost do everything as infantry.

A class based system is much easier to balance. In an MMO players like progression, in PS1 this progression was done in the form of BR. Now the more people who hit your maximum cap means that you eventually have to raise the cap to keep players feeling like they are getting somewhere. This means more players becoming jack of all trades, not really needing the assistance of others.

Also as Hamma said PS1 was not a great financial success. It had enough players to keep the servers running but thats about it. Player numbers dropped considerably the first month after release, we then saw the servers drop from 5 to 1 over the years. So its quite understandable why they did not want to reskin PS1.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion