Live Streams with Commentators In Lieu of ESports - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What is this "Life" you speak of?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-11, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Live Streams with Commentators In Lieu of ESports

The problem I see with making a separate esports version of the game is that its no longer PS2. I watch SC2 and LOL matches because I play those game. The pros Im watching are playing the same game I'm play. I can relate to what they are doing and better appreciate the insane stuff they can pull off. I don't watch Halo matches because I don't play Halo and all the other esports games I don't play.

If this separate version has strict comp settings, no vehicles, limited number of players, ect.. it isn't Planetside 2. Its some other game. Do we expect the average PS2 player to care enough to watch this? Maybe if those players also play the "esports version", but then you just have people playing two different games ... and also devs supporting two different games. At the end of the day its not PS2 esports.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-07-12 at 02:08 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-11, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'd like to see the Empire vs Empire theme highlighted in streams. I love the idea of having commentators constantly going around and showing us a PS2 battle from different angles or simply following around different types of outfits and showing all the different ways to have fun in PS2.

I think that would be more entertaining as a viewer, and do far more to promote and market the game itself than the traditional view of ESports.

Having empire competitions is how I'd like to see the competitive nature of PS2 exposed as a telecasted "sport" - follow the VS, TR, and NC in a contest to hold the most territory on a continent for a period of time. The "winner" is an empire, not an individual or an outfit. All sorts of different outfits contribute, from the super air-cav outfits to the specops outfits, to the armor outfits and paratrooper outfits. Lots of ways to contribute to empire dominance, why not show us all of them in a real Planetside contest?

Planetside is about Massive. Any sort of esport casting that doesn't capture that is epic fail.
Old 2012-07-11, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't think an non-instanced server would work out in the long run. The main issue would be balancing the game around the massive scale (Planetside 2) and trying to also balance around the smaller scale (Gimped Planetside 2).
My guess is that would result in not only two types of servers with different balancing on the weapons and whatnot but a lot of developer time wasted on balancing instead of making new stuff and fixing anything that's broken.
Old 2012-07-11, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Tsunami
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post

Multiple cameras could be placed at different locations and a producer could cut between cameras while a commentator or three (one for each faction) make comments.
Rather than multiple, you could have the source engines style of free caming.
Old 2012-07-11, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
WellWisherELF
Corporal

No thanks. Esports needlessly segregates a game's playerbase and fosters elitism.

Old 2012-07-12, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Rather than multiple, you could have the source engines style of free caming.
If they put any effort in they could dolly up some fly throughs and the entire thing could be automated. It still would be cool to have a few static cameras that are in tight on control points that can get up close on occasion and capture some infy action.

I would watch this while playing just to see where my faction is needed most and if my server wasn't being streamed, I would probably watch it anyway.
Old 2012-07-12, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
FatherJack
Private

No I dont think esports or commentators would work in the main game. Why would you want to watch when you can just play? Would you rather watch the totalbiscuit videos or play in the beta?

What could work is outfit v outfit combat. Instanced maps with a small number of bases that would have a defined objective. I am thinking 400 V 400 on a map organised in a league. Now that could be interesting and would be fun to watch.
Old 2012-07-12, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Boomhowser
Corporal

holds no intrest for me tbh though I can see how it appeals to others.

I'll watch vids atm as it gives me my fix but when/if I go into beta then onto live I will be playing so no need to watch anything other than freaky bugs & humourous clips
Old 2012-07-12, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
xnorb
Sergeant

For my exhibitionism i got my youTube channel and eSports has absolutely
no place in PS2 as it's all about large scale warfare and nto about 5on5.

Show me a clan that can bring 100 members at one time to a match and
show me whole tournaments with those ammounts of people, then i will
happily come back to your idea of eSports.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Nash
Private

Is it too much to ask for a game which doesnt devolve into this stupid elitist #ESPORTS crap?
Let Planetside be Planetside and dont f*ck it up with that crap.
If you wan't esports, play sc2 or lol or whatever...
Old 2012-07-12, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

This thread has nothing to do with ESports. Saying NO TO ESPORTS in your reply only points out what an opinionated person you are to comment without insight. Please read the thread if you want to join the discussion. Useless comments like these only turn this into another ESports debate, which this is not.

This thread is about a live feed that broadcasts the game with commentators - like a news cast of the "war effort" for faction loyalty, game immersion, social marketing and because we can.

If you ever watched Starship Troopers, you would get it.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Slepnair
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by WellWisherELF View Post
No thanks. Esports needlessly segregates a game's playerbase and fosters elitism.
Don't we already have elitism and major segregation between factions?
Old 2012-07-12, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
As someone who hasn't played WOW since early 2005, I had no idea they took that out.
They didn't, there are still PvP servers, just most people don't bother that much.

Anywho... Here's the thing, what are you accomplishing with Live Stream Commentating as the OP described?

There are several things that E-Sports does in a general sense:

1. It builds awareness and excitement for the game.
2. It gives a goal for (some) players to try and "go pro" or make a name for themselves and get noticed etc.
3. It supports the creation of sponsored teams/players and events, which essentially gets non player/developer money put toward the game (if not necessarily directly).
4. It (hopefully) showcases the more skill-based, intricate, or lesser known strategies that can be theoretically applied in the game by anyone.

Simple Streaming Commentary will probably get #1 done (albeit to a slightly lesser degree) and sometimes #4. It won't particularly motivate players, or draw in outside money however. The investment might be smaller, but the payout is also much smaller, and I have doubts that it would be particularly worth going out of their way to do it, particularly when (likely) a given Outfit or individual will likely do their own commentary albeit from a less omniscient format.

You also have far, far less control over what gets streamed outside E-Sports. Yes, this is a bad thing. It could end up show-casing how someone can cheat, how there were fewer players than expected, or otherwise put the game in a negative light. Even in showmatch or tournament settings you have technical problems and other errors that make the production as a whole less than ideal.

Is Streaming Commentary good? Yes, but it isn't something that would work weekly without a greater investment than they'd get back considering that it doesn't accomplish. It can still be good ways to introduce new vehicles or introduce players to the game, but it won't keep the same viewers because of the lack of human interest (other than the personality of the caster).

We jump on any stream now because of the lack of information and ability to play the game for ourselves, but that won't be the case when the game is released or likely even when Open Beta starts.

Leave it as an occasional thing, like for particularly large patches or promotional stuff.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Arovien
First Sergeant

O yes, thousands of individuals will attempt to stream PS2 once it's allowed. Those that can stream quality (content and actual video quality) will differentiated themselves and develop large followings. Large followings = cash from playing ads.

Once E-sports develops, no matter the opinion, someone (player or organization) will attempt to benefit from streaming PS2 E-sports matches. Again, large followings = cash from playing ads.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

True esport never going develop on its own in PS2. Not unless the devs go out of their way to support it by creating separate instances that fosters an esport environment. PS2 on its own is never going to attract sponsors (too many players, too many outside variables) and its impossible to create arenas for teams to duel it out in even, comp settings. Simply getting revenue from your live streams doesn't make you a professional esports player.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-07-12 at 02:19 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion