When You take a Base You will... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: you'll need a seatbelt for your computer chair.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: After you take a base, what will you do?
Defend the base, mostly interior 6 11.11%
Defend the base, mostly exterior 7 12.96%
Defend the base, regional zone defense 13 24.07%
Stay on the offensive, retake this one when it falls 5 9.26%
Stay on the offensive, keep moving when one falls 7 12.96%
Split forces between defense and offense 2 3.70%
Depends on __________(???) 9 16.67%
Something else entirely (???) 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-02-06, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

When You take a Base You will...

You are commanding a single platoon that takes an objective. You are not working as part of a bigger operation, and friendly traffic in continent is thin. Enemy traffic is evenly dispersed among empires, but you don't have any specific intel on movements or buildups.

What are you going to do next?
Old 2003-02-06, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Saint
Captain

I will dance in circles until I pass out.
Old 2003-02-06, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Depends on who I'm playing with and the level of opposition I expect to encounter.

Personally, I'm more of a defensive player, so I would be inclined to set up a area defense with a couple of people patroling the area keeping an eye out for the enemy. But if we took that base with fairly little resistance and had little opposition in getting to the base, we'd probably press on it the next one. If no one is likely to attack soon, I don't want my men to be bored. We are playing a game to have a good time after all.

But if the people I'm playing with are leaning towards one way or the other, I will probably go with their opinion in this instance. If I'm playing with people like Nav, we'll charge forward to the next base. If I'm commanding a group who loves to setup defenses and mine and snipe people, then we'll stay at the base. Since we are not part of a larger operation, the enjoyment of my platoon is the highest priority as far as I'm concerned.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-06, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

hmm mistled is one cool dude I will defend the exterior, snipe people as they come to attack or just run around and then if no-one comes, move on w/ my outfit.
Old 2003-02-06, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Civilian
Contributor
Major

For me it all depends on the number of forces I have under my command, opposition in the area and whether or not another base is near-by.

If the area is fairly clear, I would probably leave a small force to stay on d inside the base(under the command of one of my officers until reserves arrive) and make my way to another base. If I feel the base could be vulnerable to a counter-attack I would dedicate my forces to defending said base.

It depends on alot of factors really.
Old 2003-02-06, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

Leave the platoon and go scout around for any forces gathering to retaliate.
Old 2003-02-06, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I'd stay there, and while we're all healing and repairing, I'd get one victum - er volunteer to get on the fastest damn vehicle around and haul ass to the enemy base. Find them, relay their coordinates, and just piss em all off, while the rest of us booked ass to his local to kick the shit out of those guys. Then we'd take that base too, 'till they didn't have any more places to spawn. Gotta take the fight to them ya know.

Where's the best place to kill a man?

At his front door.

Edit: Hey sandy, you wanna be my scout

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-02-06, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

Sure thing, I love pissing people off, and I'm good at surviveing those kinds of situations.

If they get headshots in the game, I'll be you're victem.
Old 2003-02-06, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

There's a plan if I've ever heard one.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-02-07, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

I hate fighting the same battle twice. If I just took a place it should stay taken, since Im already at the next place, and the frontline is nowhere near that place anymore.

It is as simple as this,
�In case of doubt, attack.�
(patton, the best general of all time)

As long as your pushing the enemy they have no choice but to react to your moves. Once you go on the defensive, you let the enemy decide where and when to fight the battles. That is not good. You must keep pushing them.

Remember, your troops are tired, broken, hungry, low on supplies, and low in numbers, but so long as you keep pushing them, the enemy will be even more tired, more broken, hungrier, lower on supplies, and lower in numbers. Don�t let up, not for a second. It is easy to go defensive, but once you do you are lost. They will take your ground bit by bit, you must not let that happen, you must attack them day and night, give them no rest, no time to soften their guard, no time to get ammo, no time. attack.

"In war the only sure defense is offense, and the efficiency of the offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it."
(Patton)

You can not win a battle by defending, it is just a matter of time before you lose. The enemy will be able to go around you if need be, to keep on bringing wave after wave in, and to wear you down, inch by inch, foot by foot, you will lose the stronghold.

�Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.�
(Patton)

So, go ahead and defend your forts, for I am coming, and with me, the vengeance of an army.

-MrVulcan

P.S.
Ohhhh i like how that sounds... I think ill put some of that on my site under our basic strategy =) yep, Life is good.
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
------------------------------
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-02-07, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

One squad, mostly my defensive guys (your minelayers and such), would garrison the base, one squad would actively patrol the area around our base and make sure the defensive guys don't get caught with their pants down and the third squad would start probing attacks on the nearest enemy base to see if we can start some fighting and draw the enemy into sieging our base. Once they start throwing themselves against the gates, everyone comes back home and we let them smash themselves against the walls. This game is supposed to be about fun, and theres nothing more fun to me then fighting on my own doorstep, trying to see how long i can keep the enemy away from the Jugular. Seriously, if the continent is mainly enemy held territory, when we log on tommorow we can be almost assured that the base will be lost, so we might as well have some fun as we can and leach as much enemy manpower as possible.
Old 2003-02-07, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

This is a good post. Has anyone mentioned the possibility of bonus BEPs to people that defend? Squads that are out collecting BEPs would probably be more inclined to grab a base, rearm and rush on to the next one to keep feeding themselves BEPs
Old 2003-02-07, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
HopperWolf
Private

I've got to go to work but I thought5 I would just say I like the way this poll is going. It's encouraging to see that there are going to be so many styles of play going on... will make for a great experience I think
Old 2003-02-07, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Has anyone mentioned the possibility of bonus BEPs to people that defend?
Part of the reason I made the poll was for this reason exactly. It seems to me that you get BEP for killing on the attack or defensive, but in order to get CEP, you must cap a base. Therefore, it is generally in the squad leaders' best interest to cap and move on. Further, you also get a BEP reward for capping, but is there a corresponding reward for holding?

In my estimate, the only reasons to defend are strategic, and deal with maintaining a foothold on a continent and/or keeping services running.
Old 2003-02-07, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

I would deploy the sigbot for a search and destroy mission.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion