Left Planetside a long time ago. Is it worth returning? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now with forcasts for Searhus!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-10-01, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Shadowsword8
Contributor
Corporal

Left Planetside a long time ago. Is it worth returning?

I stopped playing just after shields for vehicles were introduced, and just after Core Combat, because at my playing hours the European server (Werner, I think, don't remember) was fairly low populated, with usually almost every players concentrated on one or two continents, bringing a continental lock.

I didn't wanted to pay to wait in a queue, and crossing an empty continent isn't fun either.
In the "bad memories" category, I also remember that damn chamber spawning, the lasher abusers...

I tried a few others MMORGS, and liked most of them, but sometimes when I look at Planetside I still miss something.

So the big question I want to ask you is: How does it has changed?

I heard disturbing rumors saying that it was now just a huge Doom-like, just lots of CR5 using their OS as if it were just another frag making weapon.
Speaking of weapons, I also heard that one of the expansion weapons (maelstrom?) was wildly unbalanced against most enemies.

BFR: They're big, they're looks good, they're impressive, but balanced?
From what I read on some forums, they have AI,AV weapons on thier base version, a shield making them almost immune to AV weapons, more armor than a Prowler, can siphon armor and energy from their enemies, can be used by soloers...all that in one package! Even if the idea of a mech is thrilling, I don't want every other vehicles to become obsolete.
If I fancy mech fests, I'll play Mechwarrior...

I don't know if I should buy Aftershock and give to Planetside a second try, or just turn the page and be done with it.

Your opinion?
Surely you, but never I.
Old 2004-10-01, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamorad
First Sergeant

I think its gotten better
Old 2004-10-01, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

Why not find out for yourself:
Originally Posted by GreyFlcn
How about a 7 day trial and an installer?
Me I can't play because of school issues, but I sure as hell wish I could.

Heres a taste of the changes:
Beamer no longer sucks!
Old 2004-10-01, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ORANGE
First Lieutenant

BFR's are gonna screw the game, if you haven't been on test yet I recomend you try putting a squad of your guys against even just one BFR it doesn't turn out too pretty and BFR v. BFR combat takes forever and I just can't wait to see how many of these there will turn out to be when the patch comes in game because you know everyone will want one right away and those that don't really will be like I just got OMFGPWNT by a BFR I'm gonna go cert in one and the cycle will perpetuate itself, there are some fairly obvious fixes to the problems that I hope the devs notice and fix, until then I'm gonna assume they are competent enough to see them on their own

EDIT: Yeah so I say wait until shortly after BFR's are released and not everyone and his brother has one
Old 2004-10-01, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ducimus
Sergeant

By all means try the 7day trail linked above, but after reading your post, i get the distinct impression you wouldnt be in PS for very long.
Old 2004-10-01, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Paintballboy
BFR's are gonna screw the game, if you haven't been on test yet I recomend you try putting a squad of your guys against even just one BFR it doesn't turn out too pretty and BFR v. BFR combat takes forever and I just can't wait to see how many of these there will turn out to be when the patch comes in game because you know everyone will want one right away and those that don't really will be like I just got OMFGPWNT by a BFR I'm gonna go cert in one and the cycle will perpetuate itself, there are some fairly obvious fixes to the problems that I hope the devs notice and fix, until then I'm gonna assume they are competent enough to see them on their own
Incredibly, this was all one sentence.

Also, BFRs aren't done being balanced. They're much more killable after the latest patch, and having actual infantry support does help a fair amount. Furthermore, a squad of guys against one BFR is an incredibly vague statement. A squad of what guys? With what weapons? In what sort of terrain? In a base, a squad of guys will be able to take down a BFR. In the open, they won't. Same goes for fighting tanks. Infantry will always be at the mercy of heavy combat vehicles. But the good news is that even if your squad can't take down the BFR, they'll certainly be able to do enough system damage to it to hamper its effectiveness a significant amount. Honestly, I think fighting BFRs is a ton of fun for just that reason. Cat and mouse around a base, popping out to hopefully damage a component or drop their shields, is really cool. Much more exciting than fighting masses of reavers and tanks.
Old 2004-10-01, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ORANGE
First Lieutenant

thats why I commented on the fact that I believe the devs are actually quite competent, and yes I know, one sentence screw punctuation, viva la revolucion de antidisestablishment committee on un-american activities
Old 2004-10-02, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Apocolypse55
Corporal

Try the trial, have some fun. If you still like it and feel that it's worth paying for, Well, there is your answer.
Old 2004-10-02, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

It's defintnely gotten better, and teh BFR unballencement will not be teh huge problem that it was, as not everyone nad there mom will have one liek on the test server.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-10-02, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kam
Major

All of you realize that you have to buy both expansions to get the BFR, right? BFR arent coming in a patch, it's a seperate expansion that requires CC. Looks like I'll have to buy both now...
Old 2004-10-02, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yes.
Old 2004-10-02, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kam
All of you realize that you have to buy both expansions to get the BFR, right? BFR arent coming in a patch, it's a seperate expansion that requires CC. Looks like I'll have to buy both now...

No, it isn't.

BFR's are a free upgrade to PS/CC, PS: Aftershock is a re-release of PS that bundles CC and PS into a cheaper package and will not require a massive download.
Old 2004-10-02, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Indecisive
Major General

Indeed. Kam = wrong.
Old 2004-10-02, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Gohan
Indeed. Kam = wrong.
QFT

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-10-02, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Originally Posted by Kam
*/me sighs and shakes head* You got your information second-hand, didn't you. Mind if I re-write what you said?

"All of you realize that you don't have to buy a new expansion to get the BFR, right? BFR are coming in a patch that's part of the Core Combat expansion. Looks like you don't have to buy anything if you already have Planetside and CC..."

There, that's better, isn't it? Because that one is true. Read the Dev Tracker!! Aftershock is the name they're giving to the bundle that includes PS and CC. If you have both already you don't need to buy Aftershock. I repeat, if you already have Core Combat you don't need to buy **** to get BFRs.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion