gal drops/ transport gameplay? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Avert your eyes!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-22, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: gal drops/ transport gameplay?

Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Gal drops were what made PS1 for me, it's one of the few aspects that I feel requires little to no change.
I'm not sure of being able to spawn in a galaxy is a great feature, I have this image of galaxy's circling overhead dropping an endless supply of troops.
Maybe galaxy's should only be spawn points when on the ground so that they can land behind the front line to fill up, fly over enemy positions to drop their load, then return to friendly territory to fill up again.

That would hopefully cut down on the amount of time you spend sitting in a half empty Gal waiting for more people to make it worth doing a Gal drop.
I don't see the need for having a galaxy landed so everybody can spawn... If its circling the base you have the risk of getting shot down that is balanced with the reward of an awesome spawn point, if you decide to wait for a full load to spawn into the galaxy and drop all at once, you've got the safety of being away from the fight and the positive aspects of dropping a squad all at the same time.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Coreldan
Colonel

Not to mention soon after the enemy realizes that the Gal in question is a highly specialized one, you are guaranteed to have a few Mossies and Reavers up your tail even if you would try to fly further away to give your squad members a chance to spawn into a full team before a new drop.

Naturally this is a thin line and while it can be overpowered, on paper it seems mostly fine due to how vulnerable a Galaxy is without help. I would at least test something along these lines in beta to see if it can work.

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-07-22 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
I believe they've mentioned the ability to spawn inside Galaxies, so even if there isn't a physical representation of what you can see inside the plane, I'm fairly certain they'll have an equipment interface for you to change gear before the drop.

Spawning inside Galaxies...man. Interesting.
I know there are more than a few Reaver pilots salivating at the idea of downing a flying AMS.

Old 2011-07-22, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't see a huge issue with allowing spawning in a gal while it's airborne. We already have AMSes for ground based spawning, and an air vehicle over hostile territory in Planetside is taking a pretty sizeable risk.

I'm curious whether they'll allow spawning in other ground/air transport vehicles, assuming they're in the game.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I don't see a huge issue with allowing spawning in a gal while it's airborne. We already have AMSes for ground based spawning, and an air vehicle over hostile territory in Planetside is taking a pretty sizeable risk.
Wait did they say we'll have AMS in the game? I don't remember them saying that. I could definitely see a galaxy taking over the roll. Spawning in a galaxy while it's flying seems odd really. I'd expect it to land and turn on an AMS mode with terminals. So players could spawn at it and jump inside if they wanted.

If we could spawn in the air it would need to be over friendly skies I'd think. Imagine hovering or flying in a circle over a base just dropping soldiers. That totally messes up the combat system we're used to I'd imagine.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I hope that gal spawning is limited to squads/platoons because empire wide spawning in a gal would be for lack of a better word.....retarded.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-22, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
I hope that gal spawning is limited to squads/platoons because empire wide spawning in a gal would be for lack of a better word.....retarded.
I don't think it will be anything more than that.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Wait did they say we'll have AMS in the game?
They did. Or it's listed here at least: http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=36527

I don't see spawning in an airborne gal over a base as significantly different from spawning in an AMS at a base. If you don't want people in your courtyard, kill the spawnpoint. If you can't kill the spawnpoint, then you've lost the courtyard.

It would also make sense to have this be a highly specialized role for the gal though, as someone else already mentioned. Like a module that would be interchangeable with heavier armor, or more cargo, or a proper weapons loadout. It should be more defensible than an AMS, but far more obvious.
Old 2011-07-23, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Snow
Private

The reason I would prefer Gals can not spawn over key enemy points is more to do with fun than balancing issues.
Gal drops are only really effective when it's a full drop and my fear is that by allowing players to spawn in air over enemy territory they will start to drop solo rather than as a team.
Even limiting it to just squad/platoon would not necessarily stop people from wanting to get back in the action so badly that they will drop solo without any though for teamplay.

In PS1 Gal drops were most successful when there was a plan, you all dropped together and everyone knew what they had to do and where they had to go when they landed. These were the times when I most felt part of a team and when it comes to game mechanics I will always judge it by "does this promote teamplay".
Old 2011-07-23, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Current galaxy is a single pull one way air transport veichle. You pull it in the sanc, fly for some minutes then ditch it. Or it was a ferry from the tower to the base.

A gal as spawnpoint would have to circle around the battlefield to drop reinforcements on critical locations. PS-2 focuses more on open territory fights so it won't be just circling around a base till the enemy raises some mossies that scare you away. The battlefield will be far from your enemy too, you can spend more time in the air.

And I hope that specializing in the gal tree you will be able to add improved defensive or even offensive weaponry to your flying coffin. I'd love to see those 15 mils on the wingtips changed to AA-flak...
Old 2011-07-23, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

The reason I would prefer Gals can not spawn over key enemy points is more to do with fun than balancing issues.
Gal drops are only really effective when it's a full drop and my fear is that by allowing players to spawn in air over enemy territory they will start to drop solo rather than as a team.
Even limiting it to just squad/platoon would not necessarily stop people from wanting to get back in the action so badly that they will drop solo without any though for teamplay.

In PS1 Gal drops were most successful when there was a plan, you all dropped together and everyone knew what they had to do and where they had to go when they landed. These were the times when I most felt part of a team and when it comes to game mechanics I will always judge it by "does this promote teamplay".
Yes it will encourage team play, you don't have to drop immediately. If you have an outfit that likes telling people exactly how to play, its up to the member to follow that playstyle. If you've already breached, you can treat it like a CY AMS and drop when you spawn.

Its options. Maybe the new gal will hold more people too, no real reason for it not to, especially with no entry/exit animations.
Old 2011-07-23, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Kietharr
Private

Gal drops were what made PS1 for me, it's one of the few aspects that I feel requires little to no change.
I'm not sure of being able to spawn in a galaxy is a great feature, I have this image of galaxy's circling overhead dropping an endless supply of troops.
Maybe galaxy's should only be spawn points when on the ground so that they can land behind the front line to fill up, fly over enemy positions to drop their load, then return to friendly territory to fill up again.

That would hopefully cut down on the amount of time you spend sitting in a half empty Gal waiting for more people to make it worth doing a Gal drop.

Even if it lets them spawn in the air it's not a big deal, nothing screams EVERYBODY SHOOT ME more than a gigantic aircraft circling an enemy base dropping enemy soldiers, it's not relatively small or invisible like an AMS.

If you can't kill it with aircraft you've lost air control, if you can't down it with AA maxes you've lost CY control, if you've lost both then you've lost the base anyways.
Old 2011-07-23, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Snow
Private

In PS1 people flew Gals because they were integral in getting troops to the front lines but as someone just mentioned in PS1 people generally flew them over a base for a drop and then discarded the Gal.

If you can spawn in a gal mid flight you're implying that someone would want to spend their time flying a gal in circles while everyone else spawned, dropped and got into the fight.

Convincing people to run regular AMS's to the front line was hard enough in PS1, now imagine that not only did that person have to spend time getting an AMS but if they exited the AMS it couldn't be used as a spawn point.

What would have to be done to make piloting a flying AMS enjoyable and rewarding for the pilot?
Old 2011-07-23, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Coreldan
Colonel

In PS1 people flew Gals because they were integral in getting troops to the front lines but as someone just mentioned in PS1 people generally flew them over a base for a drop and then discarded the Gal.

If you can spawn in a gal mid flight you're implying that someone would want to spend their time flying a gal in circles while everyone else spawned, dropped and got into the fight.

Convincing people to run regular AMS's to the front line was hard enough in PS1, now imagine that not only did that person have to spend time getting an AMS but if they exited the AMS it couldn't be used as a spawn point.

What would have to be done to make piloting a flying AMS enjoyable and rewarding for the pilot?
It can be sort of a more on-demand thing than an AMS. A skilled Gal pilot could for example land the gal and cloak it (with or without the AMS function, depends if it would be too good) and join the fight himself, until there's further use for the Galaxy.

It's not quite an easy thing to hide, which probably accounted for it's "use and discard" nature.
Old 2011-07-23, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Snow
Private

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
A skilled Gal pilot could for example land the gal and cloak it (with or without the AMS function, depends if it would be too good) and join the fight himself, until there's further use for the Galaxy.
Okay, that make sense to me, I can see how that would work and why an organises group would want to use it.

I would like to see benefits for those who have chosen to spec for a Gal over combat vehicles.
For example getting xp for each person you drop within a specific radius of a mission target.
Or something along that line.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion