Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-08-21, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

nah thse HS's are fine, there quiet and will more than get the job done. And inexpensive

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-08-21, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SDM
Banned

1) After much reading on multiple sites including Tom's Hardware, the VIA, nForce, and SiS benchmark so freaking close, it really doesn't matter which one you get. The only difference is features. I'm not going to overclock anyway, and I really don't need the nF3's firewall.

2) EVERY review I've read (about 6 I think) Gives the Soltek board outstanding marks, with only minor complaints with petty shit. e.g. "I didn't like where they put that capacitor" and "I don't like AGP card locks".

I'm not going to pay over $100 for a motherboard with features I won't use, but thanks for your opinions, they got me reading.
Old 2004-08-21, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

we aim to enlighten. probably a good decision, if your not goin ot uses the feasures then why get them, though sometimes that cappasitor placment thing is a big issue, it can mean the different betwee some components fitting in a mobo, liek certian coolers and video cards

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-08-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 2004-08-22, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
SDM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rbstr
we aim to enlighten. probably a good decision, if your not goin ot uses the feasures then why get them, though sometimes that cappasitor placment thing is a big issue, it can mean the different betwee some components fitting in a mobo, liek certian coolers and video cards
The fan I'm getting will fit, they just suggest putting it on before mounting the board to the case.

I think I'm going with a FX6800 instead of the Ati9800pro. It's about $20 more, but looks like a much better card in the benchmarks I've seen. It's hard to get a clear picture by just asking people. ATi users HATE nVidia, and vice versa. Computer geeks are so wierd. Looking at the numbers cuts through the BS.

Here's one of the tests - http://hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=544

Last edited by SDM; 2004-08-22 at 03:44 AM.
Old 2004-08-22, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
MattxMosh
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SDM
The fan I'm getting will fit, they just suggest putting it on before mounting the board to the case.
You should always do that.

ATi users HATE [color=white]nVidia, and vice versa.

I prefer ATI, but you cant go wrong with either with this new generation of cards.

Last edited by MattxMosh; 2004-08-22 at 04:25 AM.
Old 2004-08-22, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah, the X800 and 6800 are so uber i'm having second thoughts of getting the X800pro

Old 2004-08-22, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

the 6800 is supposed to be faster than the pro

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-08-22, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
SDM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rbstr
yeah, the X800 and 6800 are so uber i'm having second thoughts of getting the X800pro

The X800pro is better, but it's not $100 better in my opinion. The 6800 is under $300 is definately the best bang for the buck.
Old 2004-08-22, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
MattxMosh
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SDM

The X800pro is better, but it's not $100 better in my opinion. The 6800 is under $300 is definately the best bang for the buck.

If you are into softmodding and hard modding, its worth it. Otherwise, save yourself the cash and pick up the cheaper of the two. Unless of course, your e-penis needs a bling enlargment.
Old 2004-08-22, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think i'm goin Pro still, My e=peinis is looking rather shrivled with this 5600

Old 2004-08-23, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

If your comparing the 9800XT vs the 6800, then yes the 6800 is defintely much better value. Now if you compare the 9800 Pro vs the 6800, the price difference is about double so the value for performance is much closer.

If you can afford the 6800, get the 6800, especially over an 9800 XT.

I think I'm going with a FX6800 instead of the Ati9800pro. It's about $20 more
Not correct though. Also those bench's show the 9800XT is actually really close to the 6800, and ahead many times in high resolution/high aa/af. So it could still be a toss up. But when you consider that typically performance between the 9800XT and the 9800 Pro/128 is usually within 3-10 fps, which is not on that bench, you see why many ppl still say the 9800Pro is the best bang for the buck.

Personally when I see performance on a 6800 Ultra Extreme SLI is when I will decide between Ati vs NV this round. Ofcourse I'll juggle the 2 to 1 price vs performance and judge appropriately to see if its worth it.

Last edited by Daleon; 2004-08-23 at 09:25 AM.
Old 2004-08-23, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah the SLI is going to double performance, but also double to pirce, a K for video alone, not many peopl have that much cash even the most die-hard gamers, i mean a system to support an SLI card even without vidcard, is going to cost alot, 300+ for CPU(500+ if you don't wnat to bottle-neck), 200ish for a mobo(with dual PCI-Ex 16x slots) and Lots,400 mabee 500 for DDR2(only mobo's with Dual 16x use DDR2 and to not bottle neck you need the 667or greater stuff),

Old 2004-08-24, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

What we need is Quantum3D to make a comeback and build a 6800 Ultra EX Obsidian PCI-Express X-512 single card solution.... ahhhhh
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum