Couple thoughts on MAX's and Air Vehicles... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Look ma! No HTML!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-21, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MetalCage
Private

Couple thoughts on MAX's and Air Vehicles...

I'm a big fan of Avatar....I like the look of the vehicles and would like to see something similar to this for a flying vehicles. I'd like to see a more agile bomber for taking out tanks and such like the A-10 of the future.

The max units they have are cool too as I think they should be quite larger than a foot soldier. In PS1 they aren't much taller than a foot soldier.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Re: Couple thoughts on MAX's and Air Vehicles...

Originally Posted by MetalCage View Post
I'm a big fan of Avatar....I like the look of the vehicles and would like to see something similar to this for a flying vehicles. I'd like to see a more agile bomber for taking out tanks and such like the A-10 of the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dqhq...eature=related

The max units they have are cool too as I think they should be quite larger than a foot soldier. In PS1 they aren't much taller than a foot soldier.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I think the maxes we have are fine for what they do, they can still enter bases and move around in there. as far as an agil bomber?. yeah i was acttuly thinking that some kinda reaver/libaratior thing with a infer red lazer (can only be seen with some type of darklight) could be used by clokers to "Paint" a target would be vary cool. even if its near the end of the spec tree.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I'd like to see a more agile bomber for taking out tanks and such like the A-10 of the future.
You don't think that the Reaver fills that role?
Old 2011-07-21, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Headrattle View Post
You don't think that the Reaver fills that role?
Or the Vulture
Old 2011-07-21, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Trust me, as a Tank Driver, Reavers are more a threat then vultures. But it may be because there are so few.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MetalCage
Private

While I think the Reaver is good it has dumb fire missles....and for certain we have better technology than that today.....Some type of Reaver / Lib hybrid..... I like the nose gun on the Lib as it does more dmg than the Reaver guns but needs to be like a rotary chaingun similar to that of the A-10 now......something you can outfit with cluster bombs for anti personel but outfit with hellfire lockon missles.....

Or even similar to the F-15 where its multirole....you have a bomber who can lock on targets and bomb them but still have the agility of a fighter.....

Just tossing ideas out there.....oh and maybe flares or some type of countermeasures for the AA might be nice for the aircraft.

Last edited by MetalCage; 2011-07-21 at 08:45 AM.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Masahiko
Private

Originally Posted by MetalCage View Post
While I think the Reaver is good it has dumb fire missles....and for certain we have better technology than that today.....Some type of Reaver / Lib hybrid..... I like the nose gun on the Lib as it does more dmg than the Reaver guns but needs to be like a rotary chaingun similar to that of the A-10 now......something you can outfit with cluster bombs for anti personel but outfit with hellfire lockon missles.....

Just tossing ideas out there.....oh and maybe flares or some type of countermeasures for the AA might be nice for the aircraft.
Could try laser guided missile with marked targets from ground forces. Though im not sure the tech involved for that to work in a game.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Raymac
Brigadier General

I like the look of the Avatar vehicles too, and I can't help but think of Planetside when I do. As a pretty dedicated Reaver pilot though, I'd say the Reaver already does a good job of the close air support / tankbuster role. Even with the dumb-fire rockets, the tanks are slow enough to where you can get pretty accurate with them.

I like your customization ideas, so I hope I'll be able to do something like that with my Reaver in PS2. I just don't think we need a whole new vehicle.
Old 2011-07-21, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
millo
Private

The similarities between the Vulture and an A-10 ended as soon as you stepped in one. You spent more time reloading the bloody chaingun than firing it, it was only good for finishing off damaged vehicles. The bombs had a tiny AoE and fell so slowly that it was very hard hitting even slow moving targets while flying at minimum bombing altitude. The only useful thing it had was the afterburners.

As much as i love the A-10 (it's by far my favorite US plane), i think that something more geared toward teamplay would benefit the game more... For example, if 2 seated reavers are still in, a variant focused on tank hunting, or maybe a liberator variant specializing in focused surgical strikes, just anything requiring 2+ people to work in a team instead of a flying solo pwnmachine.

Regarding MAX size, i think they're just fine in PS, remember those thing need to go inside buildings
Old 2011-07-21, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
MetalCage
Private

Millo thats why I was thinking more along the lines of the F-15 with a bomber dropping laser guided bombs. When I think of a 2 seated Reaver I think Flight of the Intruder....and the A-6. Now a good version of that would be the EA-6B.

The EA-6B Prowler is included in every aircraft carrier deployment. The EA-6B's primary mission is to protect fleet surface units and other aircraft by jamming hostile radars and communications.

That would be something maybe they could make a variant of.
Old 2011-07-21, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Id love to see an A-10 like platform in the game, hell Id rather see the reaver have a Single big gun, and have the rounds be something like the A-10 (a small explosion). Maybe 2 - 4 Dumb bombs too, or a few AGM-65 like missiles.
Old 2011-07-21, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I've always wanted the reaver (or a new craft, with the reaver made more attack-chopper-y) to be more of a dive-bomber/strafer/strike fighter than the hover-and-spam-missiles-thing that it is.

Basically that amounts to much more damaging missiles/bombs, but far fewer of them in the magazine. Perhaps only two or four.

You know, scenes from war movies. The fighter screams over head and the bombs land.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-21, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Treerat
Private

Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
Could try laser guided missile with marked targets from ground forces. Though im not sure the tech involved for that to work in a game.
While I'm sure this will send the anti-BFR crowd into another foaming-at-the-mouth rage (as something that isn't Reavers or Mosquitos piloted by HA-toting clowns circle-jerking), why not take an idea from Battletech? In particular, a weapon called the NARC that was basically a missile that instead of damaging it's target attached a homing beacon that would guide missiles equipped to receive it's signals to itself (and thus the battlemech or vehicle it was attached too). Instead of being vehicle-mounted, the launcher could be made into it's own weapon, as a type of ammo available for AV or grenade/ rocket launchers, or as hand-thrown "sticky grenade" or hand-placed device (for the sneaky cloaker).
Old 2011-07-21, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I've always wanted the reaver (or a new craft, with the reaver made more attack-chopper-y) to be more of a dive-bomber/strafer/strike fighter than the hover-and-spam-missiles-thing that it is.

Basically that amounts to much more damaging missiles/bombs, but far fewer of them in the magazine. Perhaps only two or four.

You know, scenes from war movies. The fighter screams over head and the bombs land.
I think you'll be getting the first part of your wish, at least. Realistic flight model implies no more hovering. That will necessitate strafing or dive bombing-like tactics for Reavers.
Old 2011-07-21, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

yeah they said hovering wasnt going to be a possiblity as flight will follow amore realistic method.

max sizes were fine, they dont need to be changed.

as for a the anti vehicle laser pointer, i actualy dont want it on a plane, without hover it would be incredibly annoying to use, instead id liek to see it on a sea borne craft. like an offshore destroy/cruiser, that in adition to providing anti air for the sea, had a long range missle that was great against armor but needed a painted target. this would give infil a new role since vehicle jacking is out.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion