Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-02-21, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Pentium choices...

Alright I've decided to order my computer (again) but this time I'm going with a Pentium 4 3.06 ghz. What I want to know is what motherboard/ram combo I should get.

Choice #1:

Mobo: ASUS P4G8X Deluxe
Memory: 1024mb PC2100 DDR RAM

Choice #2:

Mobo: ASUS P4T533-C
Memory: 1024mb 1066mhz RAMBUS RAM

The P4G8X is like the A7N8X deluxe equivalent for Pentiums. It's got the same Dual channel DIMM sockets like the A7N. The P4T533 supports RDRAM which I heard is supposed to be better with Pentiums. Anyone got any suggestions on which to choose?

Last edited by BLuE_ZeRO; 2003-02-21 at 01:58 PM.
Old 2003-02-21, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Civilian
Contributor
Major

The P4T533-C is a great board. I couldn't decide between it and the Gigabyte board I ended up choosing. If I had to choose between those two, there's no question, I would go with the Choice #2.
Old 2003-02-21, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Confectrix
Sergeant Major

CHOICE TWO

Definitly.

I have the same config.

3.34 Gigs/S bandwidth between processor and RAM.

RDRAM is MUCH BETTER for PENTIUM IV simply due to the fact that the PIV needs bandwidth and LOTS OF IT. DDR simply can't compete...yet.

Solid board too. ASUS is always a winner.

Good luck.

"Speech is the mirror of the soul; as a man speaks, so he is." -- Publilius Syrus

Last edited by Confectrix; 2003-02-21 at 02:45 PM.
Old 2003-02-21, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Alright thanks
Old 2003-02-21, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Confectrix
Sergeant Major

Where are you ordering it?

"Speech is the mirror of the soul; as a man speaks, so he is." -- Publilius Syrus
Old 2003-02-21, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

ABS PC
Old 2003-02-21, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Confectrix
Sergeant Major

Old 2003-02-21, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

bout RDR ram... On the surface, this looks to be a very fast solution for system memory due to its fast operation (up to 800MHz). The reality is, however, that the design is only up to twice as fast as current SDRAM operation due to the smaller bus width (16 bits vs. 64 bits).

In addition, latency times are actually worse than currently available fast SDRAM. Since most of today�s applications do not actually utilize the full bandwidth of the memory bus even today, simply increasing the bandwidth while ignoring latency issues will likely not provide any real performance improvements.

In addition 2, processors operating with 800MHz bus speeds will certainly require more than double the current memory bandwidth.

RDR ram is overpriced and overrated, not to mention the fact that present day CPU's can't even use all the bandwith that DDR offers...
Old 2003-02-21, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Confectrix
Sergeant Major

When DDR II is released and able to be purchased by the mainstream, then I think RDRAM will have had its day. But until then show me any DDR solution that can achieve 3.34 GB/s bandwidth.

PIV's need bandwidth, latency is not an issue as much. DDR is a bottleneck for PIV. I also think Intel made a huge mistake making a processor only really successful with RDRAM. DDR is cheaper and more widely used. Intel lost alot of profits.

RDRAM may be overrated and overpriced, but in the numbers it beats any DDR out their today.

Worth it?

I think so.

Old 2003-02-21, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Confectrix
Sergeant Major

Theoretically, with PC1200 RDRAM I should be able to get 4.2 gb/s bandwidth.

That's not out yet though.

Old 2003-02-21, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Most of the articles that I've read concerning performance testing with P4's used RDRAM. I've read numerous times that P4 seems to perform noticeably better with RDR as opposed to SDRAM.

Last edited by BLuE_ZeRO; 2003-02-21 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2003-02-21, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Confectrix
Sergeant Major

They do. The pipeline is so long they need a bigger bandwidth. RDRAM supplies this. Hence, it's better. Much better.

Old 2003-02-21, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Sorry, but P4's cannot use all the bandwith that is supplied by the present day DDR technology....

Annyways:

the granitebay AKA E7205 has dual DDR capabilites, instead of the usual 2.1gb/sec you get from 266mhz you get double that. Bam bandwith that beats the RDR and its out now.

not to mention the fact that DDR ram is way cooler and run more stable.
Old 2003-02-21, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Confectrix
Sergeant Major

Let me supply you with some expert info since you seem to not think what I am saying is true even though it has been benchmarked.

The leader in technological news and computer electronics tomshardware.com tests every peice of new hardware that enters the market and puts the results on website. Here is what they have to say about your argument and the Granite Bay. I will then post the page reference for you to read the entire article if you wish.

"The launch of the first dual-channel platform for the Pentium 4 marks the first time that a chipset is able to hold a candle to the 850E together with PC1066 RDRAM. Our previous comparison test contains a large number of the latest benchmarks. In most of them, the 7205 IS NOT ABLE TO SURPASS the 850E, but it comes pretty darn close to its performance. However, Intel has officially specified the 7205 to become the successor to the 850E." [emphasis mine] - http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboa...850e_and_rdram

Old 2003-02-21, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I've read the article, the price of RDR ram versus the performance you get from the price/performance of DDR clearly makes DDR the better the choice.

I've never stated the DDR beats RDR in tests (well cept in available bandwith whit the granitebay chipset)... however RDR isn't the super solution it's souped up to be.

And i don't belive i've said what you say is untrue, i have argued against your opionion and provided the facts and reasons for them.

Edit: there really is no valid reason to whit RDR RAM, now that even intel is abandoning it in favour for dual DDR. + taking the price of RDR into the picture.

Last edited by Zatrais; 2003-02-21 at 05:26 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum