Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby] - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A psu a day keeps the trolls away
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should cockpit view be forced?
Yes 287 77.36%
No 84 22.64%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-17, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]

Yes, you can pitch, and with the cockpit you will likely be required to do it in order to get a good view on ground targets.

Without cockpit you don't. Thus it changes the way you play and raised the skill cap.

You're grasping at straws.
Old 2012-04-17, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
It's not that infantry need AA weapons. Frankly, BF3 has become annoying with a stinger under every rock, even if they can't kill you because they are too weak. Aircraft instead should be prevented from farming infantry in other ways.
imo, the biggest motivator to limiting aircav hover farms is the risk of getting dropped so hard by AA you would still wonder what happened. It's also partly why lock-on AA was not as great as Flak in PS1. I think aircav should be able to farm if no one brought his own aircav or AA.

The problem with PS Aircav was partly the inadequacy of AA. Without tech benefits, things were terribly painful.

While thinking about BF3 mechanics to evaluate AA mechanics is a good idea, in Planetsided, the number of available air vehicles is as unlimited as available AA guns. I have no idea what the exact end result will be but I can only say that between BF3 and PS, scale changes the dynamics completely.

(Of course, it's not exactly true either because tech benefits or resources are restrictions; on the other hand, those restrictions allow empire strategy comes into play.)

FYI, I am not an aircav guy but I was doing a lot of dedicated hunting with skyguards in PS. Their playstyle needs to be fun as much as our favorite playstyle needs to be. Diversity and viability of playstyles is key for a game like PS (i.e. not infantry centered 100%).

And just to add a comment about Malorn's interventions, I think he makes a great point when he says cockpits are more about game rules than anything else.
Old 2012-04-17, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post

If that wasn't enough, watch Higby fly in the 45 minute gameplay video. It clearly shows that it's possible to focus your view on the ground at all times while keeping your altitude, reducing the need for parabolic flight scanning.
That's... pretty much... the exact reason cockpits should be in... we don't need more infantry farming.

Things are going to change in the sequel. Get used to it.
Old 2012-04-17, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

While cockpit view shouldn't be optional, it should be designed more like a helicopter's.

Old 2012-04-17, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
While cockpit view shouldn't be optional, it should be designed more like a helicopter's.
The cockpit inside has to be consistent with the cockpit outside. So, they'd have to completely remodel it if it were to have a style such as a helicopter.
Old 2012-04-17, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
Stardouser
Colonel

Higby, if you're reading this, I would like to point out that many ex-Planetside players suffer from this syndrome. The source of their hatred is usually (but not always) the fact that they could not compete with the top outfits in the first game, for which they blame air vehicles. Don't let their hatred guide your balance decisions please dude.
This I doubt very much. The people who love BF3, when they try to libel and discredit people who don't like BF3 and ask for changes, claim that anyone who hates BF3 must be dying too much and not good at the game. But that is not true. In BC2 days, anyone who complained about BC2's 3D wallhack spotting they would claim that we were dying and couldn't adapt. But that has nothing to do with it whatsoever, everyone I know was just as able to get kills with it as anyone else.

Do you have any actual basis for making this claim whatsoever?

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-17 at 08:43 PM.
Old 2012-04-17, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
SKYeXile
Major General

What is there not to understand about the picture I posted? It's there to illustrate that IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THERE ARE COCKPITS OR NOT BECAUSE YOU JUST FLEW OVER THE SPOT IT'S BLOCKING ANYWAY, SO YOU KNOW WHAT'S THERE. Unless of course people don't have a short term memory, which actually doesn't seem all that unlikely judging by the average post in this thread.

Even when you're flying BACKWARDS it doesn't mean anything, because it will only take a fraction of a second to bring into view what the cockpit mesh was blocking.

All you're doing is proving my point about irrational hatred.
I like you. Telling it how it is.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-17, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
The cockpit inside has to be consistent with the cockpit outside. So, they'd have to completely remodel it if it were to have a style such as a helicopter.
I understand the ramifications of my statement.

Old 2012-04-17, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
SKYeXile
Major General

It'll probably get me banned, but I don't care so long as the message comes across.
The pole is useless anyway, typically games that offer a cockpit or cabin view. then offer a bumper or nose view, reducing peripheral vision, but loosing the ugly cockpit. This pole implies that disabling the cockpit view and enabling standard HUD would greatly increase your FOV, which of course would be overpowered Vs the cockpit view and why people are all voting yes.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-17, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
And if you were campaigning to have better designed cockpits then you wouldn't be running into so much resistance.
I pointed out it was a really bad design and wouldn't care so much if it were less restrictive in my very first post in this thread.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't such a crappy cockpit.

If it didn't block so much, I wouldn't mind having it, and you wouldn't feel disadvantaged leaving it on if there were a toggle.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
Zulthus
Colonel

What is there not to understand about the picture I posted? It's there to illustrate that IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THERE ARE COCKPITS OR NOT BECAUSE YOU JUST FLEW OVER THE SPOT IT'S BLOCKING ANYWAY, SO YOU KNOW WHAT'S THERE.
Oh, good. Since it doesn't matter whether there are cockpits or not I guess you're perfectly fine with them being forced. Good talk.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
The Kush
Captain

That's... pretty much... the exact reason cockpits should be in... we don't need more infantry farming.

Truth.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #193
Garem
Sergeant

So long as there is plenty of opportunity to look around and they make the cockpit balanced as a useful-tools instead of just look-at-the-shiny-metal, forced sounds fine.

Blocking vision for the sake of blocking vision is meh. Give the pilots tools, like underview cams, and commands to add video feeds from cameras to the sides, rear, and belly.
Old 2012-04-18, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
Skittles
Sergeant

Hahaha

Thats a funny post. I look forward to farming you in PS2 as well as all the others rambling on and on about forced cockpit and how its going to really hinder things for us pilots. You could make pilots fly using a freaking periscope and its not going to matter for either side. Those that whine about aircav and those that ARE aircav.

Aircav dominates. Ive said this multiple times here and every other game that has it. And its going to dominate regardless of cockpits or not in PS2. Things wont change in PS2 simply because of a fucking cockpit view.
Old 2012-04-18, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #195
Kran De Loy
Captain

Am I getting this wrong or is elfailo, Zulthus and Skittles aggressively agreeing with eachother?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion