El Jacko Hammero - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: oh no not again!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-07, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Angel_of_Death
Second Lieutenant

El Jacko Hammero

I've been seeing this tons of tons of times on the OF forums, and I'd like to discuss this here with civilized people . And I haven't seeing nearly enough bitching in the past few weeks, so here we go.

The Jackhammer.

Opinions, thoughts, possible improvements/nerfs that can fix the JH, etc.

Here's my opinion on how to fix the JH: Take out triple shot. It doesn't make sense that the other two HA weapons have no secondary, but the most powerful one does. Take it out and no more instagib, bug exploits, whining.

PS: This thread probably has been started before but I'm lazy to search.
Old 2004-02-07, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

get rid of the 4 shot bug and you don't have instagib, I never had a 3 shot kill a person when i was using the JH

Also we need some way of making the fights move outside, like making Bunkers between the bases that you have to hack(as part of the latice) there would be no spawn points at those bunkers and that would force people outside, were the JH have VERY very limited power

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-07, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Spee
Colonel

Delete the HA certification. It sticks out like a sore thumb of unbalanced badness.
Old 2004-02-07, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

Fixing the Quad Shot will probably help in bringing the Jackhammer back in line. But Rbstr brings up a point: as long as indoor fights remain the core of PS, the Jackhammer will continue to rule the roost. Yes, we all have Sweepers, but it's still difficult to stand up to a group of Jackhammers

Edit: I agree with Spee to an extent. MA is currently very well balanced, and I think PS would be more enjoyable if we played just with them. All HA is powerful enough to kill in a few seconds, and I doubt that there is a significant number of people who like to be chopped down moments into a fight. A focus on MA would lessen the killing power of each individual soldier, making teamwork oh so much better. I can still see HA being a cert for, say, a deployable heavy machine gun or such, but nothing that an individual troop could use effectively without some lighter-armed individuals helping him/her.

Last edited by UncleDynamite; 2004-02-07 at 05:59 PM.
Old 2004-02-07, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vick
Second Lieutenant

I agree with Spee and UncleD, get rid of HA, make it deployable machine guns.
Old 2004-02-07, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Byteblock
Private

All the whining about the JH is really rediculous, and is the pinacle of fanboi mentality. If any person who thinks the JH is overpowered actually spent a decent amount of time playing all 3 empires he would quickly conclude that it is inline with the rest of the empires HA. Instead we have irrational and unfounded commentary.
Old 2004-02-07, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

MA isn't ballenced, Play with a pulsar, and a Guass for a while and realize the Cyclers increadible superiority.

But Relpacing HA with a kind of Machine gun version of the MA weapon, or Advanced MA in addition to the HA we have now

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-07, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by Byteblock
All the whining about the JH is really rediculous, and is the pinacle of fanboi mentality. If any person who thinks the JH is overpowered actually spent a decent amount of time playing all 3 empires he would quickly conclude that it is inline with the rest of the empires HA. Instead we have irrational and unfounded commentary.

Being as one to have levelled up each character to at least the double digits, on all three empires, I still say the jack is overpowered. One mouse button click, no matter WHAT weapon youre using, should not kill someone who spent 3 points on additional protection. The only way to survive a triple-shot is be at a range of more than 4 meters (Difficult in indoor combat) or have second wind. It also doesnt help that every NC with a jackhammer uses the goddamn third-person-lookaround trick.

However, I still say that HA does not have a reason to exist. Assault rifles, at current, are the most powerful Anti-Personnel weapon there is for infantry.

If they are not going to delete HA, then do include some insta-gib modes for the other weapons. Lashers can charge thier entire clip into one massive orb, the lash doing as much damage as a regular shot does. MCG's can fire from all 3 barells simultaneous, reducing the clip, effectively, to 33, but, also destroying the victim 3x as fast.

I have even taken out fucking LIGHTNINGS with my jack.

In short, delete HA. It has no purpose in this type of game.
Old 2004-02-07, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MilitantB0B
Colonel

I say keep HA in but modify it, severly. Stationary guns are good, maybe some sort of mortar system or a heavy suppress fire weapon, not good for taking out individual troops but good for making them think twice about poping from behind cover. As it stands now, even if they lowered the jack hammer down to the level of the lasher and MCG, they would still be MASSIVLY better then the Medium assault weapons. I just get tired of not being able to use an assault rifle (whose play style I like best) because I have to use some redicouls chaingun or lasher just to compete.
Old 2004-02-07, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Marsman
Major

SmokejumperPS: (Talking about the patch after next)

* Jackhammer is getting an automatic relaod after firing its tri-barrel shot. This reload can't be avoided. It's the drawback to the gigantic damage caused by the tri-barrel. Fire the tri-barrel, then wait for reload before you can fire again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Don't get too upset about the JH change. It basically just prevents the extra "fourth" shot from occurring. The tri-barrel is still devastatingly effective if you run into someone in a corridor. Bang! You're dead.

- The reduction in shotgun ammo puts NC players on par with players in other Empires. We realize that NC players won't like it, but the fact is, they could carry too much stuff in their inventories (compared to other Empires) and that was tipping balance incorrectly. This makes the game more balanced and is an important change. Despite the fact that it's a "nerf".
Old 2004-02-07, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

marsman, they got rid of the reload thing, they're just making you wait like, 1.25 seconds between switching from single shot and triple shot

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-02-07, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

I have even taken out fucking LIGHTNINGS with my jack.
Then those Lightnings were either
A. Severly Damaged.
B. Empty.
C. Driven by a complete and utter moron.

If it's A or B then it's not all that suprising and I promise you the other two HA weapons would have been able to accomplish the exact same thing with little to no difficulty. If it's C, again, not a big deal. Incompetent people die, it happens.

Every Empires HA can take out light armor, if that light armor either can't fight back, doesn't fight back or is too horrible at the game to fight back properly. I've taken out Reavers with a stolen Lasher, because they were too dumb to shoot at me rather than the other guy who was sniping and Mossys trying to hover over a tower make great targets for a MCG with AP loaded.

Now if someone was taking out Lightnings routinely with a Jackhammer in 1v1 fights I'd agree that's out of wack. But I have yet to hear anyone boast of being able to do so and honestly without seeing it first hand there's absolutely no way I could believe it.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2004-02-07, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Spee
Colonel

I agree completely, but it amused me to no end that I went 1v1 with a jackhammer + AP rounds and won. Yes, the guy was a complete moron that didnt remember lightning primary has splashj *wa hiding behind tree to reload*
Old 2004-02-07, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Jesus, you forum troll. Three minutes before you reply

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2004-02-07, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by Happy lil' Elf
Jesus, you forum troll. Three minutes before you reply

Ive replied faster.

Forums are like IRC only permanantly recorded.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion