News: PlanetSide 1 Free for Six Months - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "Advanced means the same thing as better." -Doobz
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-21, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: PlanetSide 1 Free for Six Months

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post
It's not that I hate it, I have great memories of it. I wish some of the features were in PS2, like most... but no way can I go back to that game. The last time I played it, it still would occasionally crash on a brand new machine I built by hand last year (the last time it went free for awhile.)

I prefaced the post with the 'no offense' because there are people that are very sensitive and ride the nostalgia wave with a keyboard instead of a surfboard, and attack people who are a little more realistic.
i keep crashing on my brandnew gaming rig with ps2 several times per hour.
and ps1 runs stable for several hours even on my 4 years old gaming laptop.

i understand everybody who shits on the dated graphics, the possible lag issues, and some weird decade old bugs that were never fixed, but ps1 is still the champion, when it comes to playing your own favorite way in a massive war.
even with the dated graphics and the danger of a massive cheater army i still prefer ps1 over ps2. i like some aspects of ps2 as well, and i will keep on logging in to collect my certs, but it will take a lot of time and work until ps2 can keep up with ps1.
so i keep on dreaming the impossible that will never happen ;-)
that people stick with ps1, soe takes note and does a conversion of ps1 to forgelight.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-21, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

I played for a bit last night, it was fun to be back for a bit. However the server was kind of empty and I didn't feel like trying to find the one small fight.

Hopefully the servers gain some population over the week.

It's fun and all but I don't see me playing it much in the coming weeks. You have to dedicated a lot more time each play session if you actually want to have fun and be rewarded and I just don't have those free hours. I also cannot stand the infantry combat. Close quarters is just a mess even when it's just 1v1.
Old 2013-05-21, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
igster
Sergeant

Can't wait to strap on the real magrider! Bring it on!
Old 2013-05-21, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Chefkoch
Sergeant

Mmm Servers down again
Old 2013-05-21, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

SOE held their promise and I'm quite happy about it. It's something very positive.

Thank you SOE!
Old 2013-05-21, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Well... crap. I thought it was going to be FTP, period. I thought we could stage an event and drag all the PS2 newbies over and show them what us vets are always gabbling about -- what a warp gate is supposed to be, what the lattice is like, what it's like to be able to use minefields and spits and barriers to actually alter the landscape.

It'll be fun for nostalgia's sake, I guess.... for a couple nights...

/slumps
Old 2013-05-21, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
Well... crap. I thought it was going to be FTP, period. I thought we could stage an event and drag all the PS2 newbies over and show them what us vets are always gabbling about -- what a warp gate is supposed to be, what the lattice is like, what it's like to be able to use minefields and spits and barriers to actually alter the landscape.

It'll be fun for nostalgia's sake, I guess.... for a couple nights...

/slumps
It's basically free to play. Actually it's better than F2P as there's no cash shop yet. And everyone got the 6 months access. That includes PS1 players and PS2 players.
Old 2013-05-22, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
ringring
Contributor
General

Oh I loved it.

But I have to accept that there are things that are better in PS2.

Of course ps2 isn't a complete game yet and I can't believe the amount of rework the devs have done but.

PS2 graphics are marvellous. PS1, we all know they're dated blah blah blah but the key point is that those graphics will be very off-putting to a new players unless you already know that the game as a whole is superior.

Second the 'netcode' or whatever. PS1 is more laggy and less responsive than PS2. I don't know what they've done in PS2 but this aspect of the game is superior.

Thirdly, this is a personal gripe, I get frustrated by the amount of time it takes to switch weapons, it seems eternally long. I've noticed it previously without commenting but only in comparison to PS2 has it been really noticeable, at least to me.

I think treat PS1 currently as experiencing and Indian Summer, those unexpected days in October when the rain goes away, the sun goes out and the girls, for a short time, start wearing skimpy tops again.

Unless SOE devotes resources for a graphical revamp and for a netcode or whatever update (and I don't see why they would do that) then sadly I think that's all it will be.

Til then, enjoy while it's here.

*edit PS: one last thing, good players stand out more in ps1.

Last edited by ringring; 2013-05-22 at 04:23 AM.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Shogun
Contributor
General

i agree on the netcode, but i actually think the graphics of ps2 isn´t much better.
yeah it looks a lot better in screenshots, but the game is unplayable because i can´t see shit with all that blinding lighting reflections and camos and fog.

Old 2013-05-22, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Fara
Corporal

really enjoyed the nostalgia again. More than 3 conts is great and having conts which are acctually big and not cluttered is refreshing/liberating. So long as there are enough people playing its more fun than PS2 at times. Props to SOE for the free 6 months.
Old 2013-05-25, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Thirdly, this is a personal gripe, I get frustrated by the amount of time it takes to switch weapons, it seems eternally long.
It's a feature I missed in PS2 since I felt it added some balance to the game (like reloading time does).
e.g.: choosing between decimator or rifle when there is a soldier and max showing up on the radar behind that door

Maybe PS1 weapon switching could have made the knife and pistols switch faster since they are less powerful, though.

I've rarely switched to a beamer when I was out of ammo...
Old 2013-05-26, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
AdvancedDarknes
Private

Originally Posted by Elahhez View Post
Smart vets used same account for the sequal, as original
heh yep 6 year old account right here kept all my info and used same login for PS2 (when i did play)
Old 2013-06-01, 05:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
camycamera
Major

HOLY SHIT. i thought this game was only free for PS1 vets! i saw that then it was free for everyone, i am a f2p PS2 player, cant wait to play it! i got the installer and am updating it (1gb update) right now. since when did it go free for everyone?!

Last edited by camycamera; 2013-06-01 at 05:49 AM.
Old 2013-06-01, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
HOLY SHIT. i thought this game was only free for PS1 vets! i saw that then it was free for everyone, i am a f2p PS2 player, cant wait to play it! i got the installer and am updating it (1gb update) right now. since when did it go free for everyone?!
The free time was apparently give to everyone who has an SOE account that had PS1 activated anytime in the past as well as any PS2 activated account (no matter if you ever had a paid sub or not on the PS2 account). They just forgot to officially tell everyone about the PS2 sub getting the free time. Either that, or they unintentionally flagged some of the PS2 accounts on accident...

Last edited by Crator; 2013-06-01 at 06:22 AM.
Old 2013-06-01, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Shogun
Contributor
General

by the way.

it seems to be impossible now to check your freetime in your account!

at least my account now only shows planetside 2. all the other soe games that were listed there some days ago are gone.
may be only a problem for EU players, but it totally sucks.

now not even players who check their account will accidentally notice the free ps1 time. tinfoilhat time...

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion