Station cash vs ingame cash. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Official sponser of the 2003 e-Penis competition
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-16, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
XroW
Private

Station cash vs ingame cash.

Hello, I’ve been following this forum and trying to catch up on all news available on the sequel to my favorite game of all time.

As we all know this game is going to be F2P and all the info we have gotten is basically "Don’t worry it’s not pay to win".
I have some concerns about this that I don’t think has been discussed and some that I think most certainly have been.

My major concern about the F2P model is the exchange rate of Station cash versus in game currency. As we saw in one of the videos (http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/63/soestore.png) 100 Station cash is paid instead of 30,000 in game cash. I watched the movie with better resolution than that picture and manage to get the following prices:

Weapon Station Cash In game SC/IG
NC Chaingun 100 30,000 300
TR Shotgun 300 40,000 133,3
Pulsar Carbine 300 50,000 166,6
Grenade Launcher 500 80,000 160

As we can see, the value of Station Cash differs from item to item, which seems a bit odd but understandable in some degree, you want smooth round numbers for your customers and that is fine. What worries me is when companies under the F2P model price their new releases or beneficial upgrades with a superior exchange rate.

For example in Heroes of newerth, they reformed in to the "F2P" model and released a new sound pack "john st Clair badass announcer pack" the cost were 980 Gold coins (S2s Station Cash) and silver (in game) 9800.
Before this the exchange rate were allot different, you could buy heroes for 100 gold or 600 silver. Because of the high gold cost and the even higher silver cost players were forced to get gold coins, ignore the announcer pack or grind for months and purchasing nothing els.

What pissed me off and many others were the fact that it was an obvious price strategy to make people buy gold coins (station cash). I have no problem what so ever with buying content, especially not in an F2P MMO. But I want to avoid this happening again.They price the product to make it almost impossible to acquire without paying, Because i feel that it will hurt the game, the community and its possition to not be pay to win. I dont know if I'm a cheap bastard or if I have a valid point but what I want to discus is basically this:

Should the Station cash to in game currency exchange rate be fixed?

To native speakers I'm sorry for butchering your language
Thanks for making a sequel to my favorit game of all time.

TL;DR: static ratio between station cash and ingame resources.

Last edited by XroW; 2012-04-16 at 11:48 AM.
Old 2012-04-16, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Station cash vs ingame cash.

They stated all items/values in that shop were just a mock up. Nothing in there was final.
Old 2012-04-16, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Templar Thano
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
They stated all items/values in that shop were just a mock up. Nothing in there was final.
not to mention we have no idea about how easy/difficult it will be to get the in-game currency
Old 2012-04-16, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
XroW
Private

Well i used the number basicly as a exampel to clarify what i ment, the numbers are not important its the last question that is the main issue.
Old 2012-04-16, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by XroW View Post
Well i used the number basicly as a exampel to clarify what i ment, the numbers are not important its the last question that is the main issue.
Your last question is nothing but the numbers.

Should the Station cash to in game currency exchange rate be fixed?
There is nothing to fix yet.
Old 2012-04-16, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
XroW
Private

The point I’m trying to make albeit poorly is that:

If station cash value in terms of in game currency can vary depending on the items they try to sell, they can use aggressive pricing strategies to force players to either buy station cash to be able to buy a certain side/up-grade or new content or to play without it.

This sounds harmless, but I imagine that during the coming years new vehicles will be released like Battle frames etc if they can price the station cash and in game cash individually they can make it so that players have to play for a very long time before being able to purchase a battle frame. players that pay with station cash can get it instantly. This disrupts the idea of not paying to win.

EDIT: Yes i know they have said battle frames are not comming back. its an example live with it.

Last edited by XroW; 2012-04-16 at 11:49 AM.
Old 2012-04-16, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

BFR will never be introduced because of the backlash.
Old 2012-04-16, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
XroW
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
BFR will never be introduced because of the backlash.
Sorry to be rude, but this is the second time you have written a comment that is beside the point, I have also written that it's just an example.

Please try to discus the matter at hand, and if you cant grasp it try to stay clear of this thread please.
Old 2012-04-16, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Markn
Private

Sorry to be rude, but this is the second time you have written a comment that is beside the point, I have also written that it's just an example.

Please try to discus the matter at hand, and if you cant grasp it try to stay clear of this thread please.

The problem is your entire post is all guessing you do not know if prices need to be fixed or if something needs to change because you do not know the final prices no one does. You also have NO idea how quick you gain in game resources no one does so your question is premature and cannot be answered.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-16, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

There is a significant amount of time and research going into the value of Station Cash. We obviously want things to be reasonable but provide value for the customer as well.

As has been stated, there will be no cost to play the game. You can invest your time and nothing more. For those who want a little more customization and playstyle options? They will be available.
Old 2012-04-16, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

Damnit radar, stop sounding like my marketing professors!
Old 2012-04-16, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
XroW
Private

Originally Posted by Markn View Post
The problem is your entire post is all guessing you do not know if prices need to be fixed or if something needs to change because you do not know the final prices no one does. You also have NO idea how quick you gain in game resources no one does so your question is premature and cannot be answered.
It’s not relevant at all.
If you gain X (in game currency) at the rate of T (Time) It doesn’t change the fact that I want the value of Station Cash to represent a fixed amount of X at all purchases.

The actual numbers are irrelevant along as the relationship between Station cash and in game currency are constant for pricing. (I dont care about getting an number for X i just want to se if people agree)

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
There is a significant amount of time and research going into the value of Station Cash. We obviously want things to be reasonable but provide value for the customer as well.

As has been stated, there will be no cost to play the game. You can invest your time and nothing more. For those who want a little more customization and playstyle options? They will be available.

Yes, it’s all good. And I support it.
My question is regarding the relative value of station cash in relation to in game cash. My attempts to start a discussion about whether or not this relationship should be fixed or floating has been for not.

Last edited by XroW; 2012-04-16 at 04:48 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-16, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

It’s not relevant at all.
If you gain X (in game currency) at the rate of T (Time) It doesn’t change the fact that I want the value of Station Cash to represent a fixed amount of X at all purchases.

The actual numbers are irrelevant along as the relationship between Station cash and in game currency are constant for pricing. (I dont care about getting an number for X i just want to se if people agree)

Yes, it’s all good. And I support it.
My question is regarding the relative value of station cash in relation to in game cash. My attempts to start a discussion about whether or not this relationship should be fixed or floating has been for not.
Where do you feel the value is in fixed costs? If new items are added should older and less popular items be made cheaper? Could there be "sales" of items in the form of a discount? I'm not indicating any of this is what will transpire, but I'm curious about your position.
Old 2012-04-16, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Akiray
Private

It seems alot of people are missunderstanding the actual meaning of the question. I am going to actually give you an answer that makes sense.

I think : Fixed Rate!

What ever the going rate is going to be, I dont give a shit, But I dont think it should vary between items. Just makes thing weird, Like popular items being impossible to buy without spending money for example.

Seriously guys, Don't know if you are just trolling or if you are trying to miss the point. But what the hell
Old 2012-04-16, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Akiray
Private

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Where do you feel the value is in fixed costs? If new items are added should older and less popular items be made cheaper? Could there be "sales" of items in the form of a discount? I'm not indicating any of this is what will transpire, but I'm curious about your position.
You can have sales, but decrease prizes in Station cash and other cash with same percentage.

Last edited by Akiray; 2012-04-16 at 05:05 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion