Virtual Reality Training [Try before you buy] - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This space for rent.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Testing weapons before you spend certs.

I'm all for this. It doesn't even need to be a physical VR room like in the sanctuaries (no need to debate sanctuaries in this thread).

You could just have a button on the main menu marked "training" or whatever, which let you play around in some test areas to practice flying, driving, shooting, etc. It could allow you to play with all of the different certs, or at the very least try out some of the broader stuff like unlockable weapons.

I'd like to see it be more in depth than the PS1 VR room though. Not just driving vehicles around in a barren environment or shooting targets in a confined little space.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The other nice thing about VR training in PS1 is you could create a new character, take him in there and within 10 or so minutes you'd be BR4 after trying out all the weapons and vehicles. Which was enough to put you on the battlefield with more than your PJs and your suppressor.

Although since everybody has access to all classes from the start (as I recall hearing?) this won't be an issue.

I don't think anybody is really anti-VR training, the going argument is that the devs just have higher priority things to work on. Which is true still.

It would be nice to have some sort of shooting range so you can test the effects of your weapon customizations and various combinations thereof. Same goes for vehicles too. I'd rather have exit/entry animations though.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

do like ghost recon future soldier has.. have a firing range you can take any gun right to and test it while in the menu section. that's one area that game got correct.
Old 2012-06-01, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Not that I disagree with the idea, but I don't think VR is worth the dev time. Would rather they spent that on something more critical to the game than something that helps me avoid cert buyer's remorse.
I don't see how a tiny area with equip terminals and targets would drain a huge amount of time from the devs. The old shooting range was about the size of a courtyard? with some walls and equip terms. I think it can be done pretty quickly.

I agree they should focus on getting major things done first for upcoming events, but just saying no to the idea of VR is silly.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
KnightHawk ECID
Corporal

Not against it i'd just put it down the road more towards launch or within the first month after launch.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
KiddParK
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
do like ghost recon future soldier has.. have a firing range you can take any gun right to and test it while in the menu section. that's one area that game got correct.
waiting on the PC version to finally arrive... grumble

oh yeah, and VR room, sure why not, what harm does it do. OR, no way, hate the idea, do your own research before you buy.

really not a make or break issue to me either way...

Last edited by KiddParK; 2012-06-01 at 09:46 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
kertvon
Sergeant

I think the VR is a good idea, but as many others have said, it doesn't fit as a priority in the scope of the game as is.

What would be really sweet however is to make the VR worth while by developing a full feature rich simulation environment. Nothing too complex, but a place for outfits to practice in and get new recruits etc running practice scenarios without enemy interference. This would be excellent, especially for pilots to get their wings as TB already gave us some solid examples of how much resources will be wasted by aircraft being smashed into rocks/buildings/thin air. :P

This would obviously be something to focus on implementing after beta/release as there are much more important things to worry about.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Virulence
Sergeant

Could be nice, but definitely not a must-have. I'd be fine without it.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Hatchak
Private

My VR will be beta :P
Old 2012-06-01, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Zekeen
Major

I'm betting that we'll get an offline training mode or something
Old 2012-06-01, 10:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
CutterJohn
Colonel

There definitely needs to be a method of testing the weapons out. Not VR, in battle. VR gives you only a very rough feel on whether you'll like it or not.

I played tribes ascend, and made several purchases that I was soon disappointed with after playing a few matches with them. No option to test it out except against motionless bots, no option to sell it back. Weeks worth of XP, gone. Buh bye.

The game needs some method of granting temporary unlocks for the purposes of testing equipment before you buy.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

The devs, being this is a free to play game and they need to make money, would probably want you to just buy the sidegrade and then figure out if you like it or not. Now a vr room to hone all the weapons and optional goodness you have worked/paid for would be pure awesomeness.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
The devs, being this is a free to play game and they need to make money, would probably want you to just buy the sidegrade and then figure out if you like it or not. Now a vr room to hone all the weapons and optional goodness you have worked/paid for would be pure awesomeness.
Yes, and wal mart would prefer you do that as well, yet they still accept returns.

I'm curious why games get a pass on this.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Definitely would love a way to test the weapons. Would be fun. And a VR for Aircraft and vehicles as was mentioned earlier is a great idea especially with the apparent difficulty to drive an aircraft increased so much. Or at least the nuance involved.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
LtCarman
Private

YES, this is a must. Way too many games decide to leave this out. A trial period would be great. If not, an offline practice mode will suffice. Either way, we need something to test out potential unlocks with.

And lets not just end with weapons either...an offline practice mode with vehicles is a must as well. Hell, if it were up to me, you'd have to go through an aircraft training session before you can fly in-game.

Last edited by LtCarman; 2012-06-01 at 10:39 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion