NPC's in planetside? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ALT+F4 for the latest beta news
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-19, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

NPC's in planetside?

I wanted to share this idea with the community and see what you guys thought. I would like to see NPC's in PS2, I think we have all seen the original maps of PS1 with the NPC animal's and I think we should get them this time around. Although I would not want to have to ever fight npc's I think it would be fun to have them around in the game to give it it's own life like npc's do in other mmo's. I have thought of using npc's these ways in planetside 2 that would ad alot of realism to the game and should be simple to implement as most mmo's and even just arcade shooters have them today.
1. Having animals living and roaming the maps , flocks of birds able to be shot and killed or scared and then they run away when fighting breaks out. Or they could give away your position as a sniper by being spooked when you get to close.
2. Having human npc's as the base employees/operators running the bases systems working at work station computers, like air traffic control at the drop ship centers the alike, things like that. You could interact with them like at the medical center to get repaired/ get your vehicle fixed and stuff like that. New weapons and weapon modding like a vender type system rather then just a computer you walk up to. This would also fit with the planetside story being the majority of the people that came through the wormhole where civilians
3. There could be mission objectives given or bonus reward for things like evacuating the npc staff of a base before the enemy take control of it. Or if they take control and it was not evacuated they could be taken prisoner and you could then break them out and get bonus ex for stuff like that. Essentially there could be dozens of mini missions/objectives that could be played out using npc's that are caught between the players fighting it out for total domination.
4. If you killed civilians in the middle of a base capture you would get grief or other xp type penalties for killing innocents, and xp bonuses for base caps for not killing many and being responsible and precise with your shooting, so you would have to fight the enemy around the civilians just like real war today especially in urban environments.
These are just some if of the way i thought of that you could use NPC's.

In no way would I want to fight them just have them as another element to the game to play with, and kill and be rewarded for not killing and rescuing and interacting with stuff like. I would also only want this if it did not impact the development/resources, maybe an ad on later on after release in that case.

what you think? Give details..

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-19 at 03:58 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ArcIyte
Sergeant

Re: NPC's in planetside?

No

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM
Old 2012-02-19, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sinilaid
Private

No.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
No
No details why really?
Old 2012-02-19, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

The war has been going for that long they have all been blasted to bits.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
The war has been going for that long they have all been blasted to bits.
That does not really make sense the population would die off, there is a lot of civilians in planet side they even talk about them in the story, like the scientist that designed the bfrs and what not, they just have never been in the game I want every thing in PS2 no back story's we don't see its 2012 man. I want a living breathing world that has a global war happening on it. In world war 2 was there just american's soldiers and Nazi soldiers, no the majority of the battle field has civ's on it and they are a part of it why not simulate them as well. This is also very common in most single player mode shooters now it would be cool to see it in the multiplayer world.

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-19 at 03:21 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Knocky
Major

The entire point of this game is players....and ONLY players running around.

Go back to WoW for your precious NPCs.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bags
Lieutenant General

.oN
Old 2012-02-19, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
The entire point of this game is players....and ONLY players running around.

Go back to WoW for your precious NPCs.
I don't remember ever reading anything about planetside only being made with a dead game space only populated by player, in fact the first maps for planetside had AI animals roaming around and the only reason they didn't put them in was for resource consumption back then. What matters in planetside is its only players vs players no players vs NPCs. And for the record I hate wow and all fantasy mmo but NPC's in mmo's fit nicely even if you are not fighting them ever. Still would like to be able to kill them just not have them shoot back.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Atheosim
Captain

Just sounds like a terribad idea frankly. The idea is that PLAYERS should be filling every single role that can exist, and if it exists and it can't be filled by players, then awesome ass deus ex machina. Air tower controllers? FUX DAT. Supercomputer onboard. People operating computers in the base? FUX DAT, NS designed it to be fully automated to minimize crew requirements.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

No to NPC... ever.

Planetside is and should always be a player driven persistent combat fps. No free kills / points / kudos for killing easy targets.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Just no, it would take too much Programing to make the world lag. I get what your saying but coping with 666 vs 666 vs 666 and all the actions that go with Nearly 2000 people is a ground braking challenge. They tryed and tested it in ps1 but if was too much CPU space on the severs

Planetside 2 has got a big dinner to eat it don't need a side order to be sick over, it would make the dinner nasty

This is not WOW

This is PLANTSIDE 2

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-02-19 at 03:52 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 04:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Just no, it would take too much Programing to make the world lag. I get what your saying but coping with 666 vs 666 vs 666 and all the actions that go with Nearly 2000 people is a ground braking challenge. They tryed and tested it in ps1 but if was too much CPU space on the severs

Planetside 2 has got a big dinner to eat it don't need a side order to be sick over, it would make the dinner nasty

This is not WOW

This is PLANTSIDE 2
Well that's why I stated performance, I'm all for performance so if it effected that at all I would not want it but if it didn't and didn't effect the development of the game I would like to see a living environment at the very least not a dead static map when there is no players fighting. I think it would be fun running a deer down with my tank. Or even better running over a human npc just doing his job standing in a base CY some where
Old 2012-02-19, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Please remember we are fighting on a colonized world with at lead 40,000 stranded explorers who have now multiplied over years of living there all over the planet, and not even a forth were soldiers, where is everyone,? they should be out and around doing there thing with us professional soldiers having to fight around them just like all wars in the past. And what about all the native alien wildlife that should be roaming around getting run over by tanks, getting shot by bored soldiers waiting for a base cap to go through.

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-19 at 04:20 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 04:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shanesan
Sergeant

Nothing like bombing a wandering herd of cattle with my liberator.

If it fits into their schedule, they should add it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion