Hoverboards for Vanu - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I hope this has taught you kids a lesson: kids never learn.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-28, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Monsta
Corporal

Hoverboards for Vanu

I am kinda disappointed that the Vanu Sovereignty gets pretty much the same buggy/light vehicles as the other empires.

Why not having hoverboards for all light classes and maybe even heavy assault? Players should be able to carry them on their back, and make use of them while jumping from a specific height and speed (like you are being able to use a parachute), it should behave like surfing clouds and with the temporary speed booster on it you get enough speed to fly a little upwards. Boosting has impact on other player hoverboards from close range. And does like 50% damage to the player when it gets shot down and explodes under its feet. I think the hoverboards don't need any weapons on it. Should be very cheap to spawn (or in default outfit). Players should be able to use there normal weapons while using the hoverboard. To gain extra speed, making use of the terrain is very important (like Tribals). Players should be able to use the hoverboards as well when undocking from a Galaxy ship.

Comon who is with me?

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-06-28 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2012-06-28, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Yaguer
Private

Re: Hoverboards for Vanu

I'm not sure how or where I could classify my interests in science fiction, but the idea of seeing hoverboards in Planetside 2 seems to far out-of-bounds. The "realism" I have grasped from playing Planetside 1 for quite a bit, than seeing Planetside 2's mainstream upgrade of the game, I really can't imagine something so miniature, containing so much power to both float and carry the weight of a futuristic warrior. I feel the implementation of a hoverboard would detract from the nature of the game honestly.

What I could however completely imagine and would fit perfectly with the Vanu Sovereignty, is many of their vehicles possessing hover variants such as the ATV, ANT, a moderate land-transport, etc. Features such as these brought into the certification system for the game would be unique.
Old 2012-06-28, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Well, I'm not entirely for the idea of hoverboards. Personally I think that all VS characters should have jump packs or some form of levitation tech :P

As far as your idea goes, what role exactly are you trying to have them accomplish? So far from your post it sounds like you're trying to give infantry a bit more mobility. I'm not at all against more mobility for infantry, but even if I had a more favorable opinion, what would the other two factions get? Surely all-terrain segways would not even be able to cut it since hoverboards can hover.

It's an out there idea, but maybe it's too out there.
Old 2012-06-28, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Monsta
Corporal

Well try to see it like having the advantage of the jetpacks, but more Vanu/hi tech wize (low gravity, floating, slidy, builds up speed if you do the right strafe jumps). Ill bet those light assaults will defiantly get the max out of that jetpack skill. I think it can be quite useful for jumping out of buildings and having like 10/20 seconds to float in the sky like a mini galaxy, locating your self on a position you normally would never find flying players unless a scythe acrobat is doing tricks. Being exposed but still having a pretty good overview.

I don't know how much damage falling from a high building does, so yeh, that could be maybe changed for Vanu. So the players are forced to used the hoverboards.

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-06-28 at 10:02 PM.
Old 2012-06-28, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ratstomper
Major

Hover skateboards? Really?

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
This is the best idea I read in my life, and I read the Bible.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zidane
Sergeant Major

Lol this is a pretty good troll
Old 2012-06-29, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Monsta
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Hover skateboards? Really?
Have look at Tribes Ascend, this kinda how they should work out. (But less jetpack effect) Easy to grab, hard to master.

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-06-29 at 04:16 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
elementHTTP
Sergeant

I like hover boards but they are not suitable as weapon platform
Maybe something like trade federation and/or imperial scout hover vehicle

Old 2012-06-29, 06:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
sumo
Corporal

Originally Posted by elementHTTP View Post
I like hover boards but they are not suitable as weapon platform
Maybe something like trade federation and/or imperial scout hover vehicle

i would prefer this over a hoverboard:P
but i would like to see all vanu vehicles use hover tech.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Monsta
Corporal

I must confess that looks pretty cool indeed.
Old 2012-06-30, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
William
Corporal

I'm trying to think of who thought of that already...

Yeah if you saw the last movie the Green Goblin was in the hoverboard didn't end well for him. Sorry Jack.
Old 2012-06-30, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
Have look at Tribes Ascend, this kinda how they should work out. (But less jetpack effect) Easy to grab, hard to master.
I've played Tribes Ascend. The skiing was a unique idea, but turned the game into a twitchy mess with people moving so fast along the same old paths that it wasn't really much fun. Meanwhile all the classes that didn't ski so well we're left in the dust without much to do besides spray chainguns or spinfusors.

You have to look at the logistics here. What do TR and NC get? Are you just going to have a whole empire of Vanu being able to move incredibly fast whenever they wanted (ala tribes ascend) and make the other two empires hoof it? Is Planetside even a game that tribes skiing mechanic would work in?

You gotta remember that adding in something because it's "cool" can throw a spanner in the works for everything else that makes the game balanced and fun.
Old 2012-06-30, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tooterfish
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Vanu are Hipsters, so this would work for them.
Old 2012-07-02, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Monsta
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
What do TR and NC get?
They have the pretty heavy buggies/quads. I don't think the "hoverboards" for Vanu need to be that strong, i am ok with it if I can just use my normal weapon instead of a heavy vehicle weapon.
Old 2012-07-03, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

This has, unlikely as it seems, been brought up before to a similarly unenthusiastic response. I don't like the idea myself, it's just kind of ridiculous. I'd very much prefer to just have hovering variants of the other vehicles.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault