NC just doesn't understand - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: is why Penn State University sounds like a good choice
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-15, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Led

Not in my mind. TR maxes fight very predictably, tending to stay stationary while taking longer shots, and even sometimes (stupidly) anchoring in the middle of a field to hose a target. Nothing one cannot avoid with a little cover.

Vanu maxes on the other hand, are freaking scary. Nothing like ducking back behind a wall to have the thing come thundering overhead and fry your butt with nary a second thought. Most VS max pilots are also getting the hang of dodging phoenix rockets, jumping at the very last moment, not giving time to correct.

Remember though, that everyone is a stupid newb It is not even open beta yet. After time, people will learn and start to develop new tactics to deal with situations. Do not worry
Old 2003-04-15, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Vash
Staff Sergeant

The TR AI MAX is kind of an oddball...

It's a real defensive nightmare... just one clamped down in front of a control console is a serious problem.
But on the otherhand, if you catch him on the way there, 2-3 guys with AP-loaded sweepers or AV weapons can take him out without too much fuss.

As for the VS AI MAX... well, it can be a real pain
They can completely bypass your turrets and minefields and pick you apart from the inside. It's my favorite max, even though I dont play VS

We're nothing like God. Not only do we have limited powers, but we are sometimes driven to become the devil himself.
Old 2003-04-15, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Hamma
PSU Admin

I dont have a solution to the phoenix, just speaking my mind on the artillery issue

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-04-15, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
glsauron
Sergeant

NOT BETA MEMBER

My thought:
1: Striker is considered relatively powerful, good indoors and a decent AV/AA weapon

2: Vanu is underpowered. The lasher is feared, as is the AI MAX, but not in the same way a Pheonix is.
Camping Carl
But if they speed up the lancer firing a little, and improve the pulsar, there ya go.
Ill take his word for it.
To be effective the Lancer better be having almsot instant travel times...

3: Gauss *EDIT* What is the argument against the Gauss? Too powerfull at range? It should be strong at range. Just weak at short range. See below post.

4A: Phoenix. Dont remove. Switch to LoS to control the missile. Long as you can see it you can control. Cant see the missile you cant control and goes DF. Would prevent artillery use and still let you guide it over hills (go up, then align with target until you cant see it anymore, they move you miss)

4B: Also pheonix. Other idea would be to change it, move slower, bigger visual signiture, show on radar. Would make dodging easier. Had more but got kind've dumb sounding.

5:
Medium Assault(LR, AI) Pulser=Cycler=Gauss
Heavy Assault (SR, AI) Lasher=Mini-changun=Jackhammer
Anti-Vehicular(AV/AA) Lancer(Direct Strike and fast)=Striker(Lock-on in LoS)=Phoenix(Remote Guided)
Standard(SR, Pistol) Beamer=Repeater=ScatterPistol.

And to you who was stuck in a tower...as said above also, MOVE. If they are covering the door keep one guy spawning and walking into the fire to keep occupied, and have the other guys move around back, or get atop the tower and snipe, or... beauty of PS, strategy has an impact rather then brute force.

P.S. Anybody think that they could move implant slots into thearmor rather then BR? Inf=1. Standard/Lt=2. Med/Max=3? Help the newbies! And dont give vets/BR20s extra power then certs allow already.

Last edited by glsauron; 2003-04-16 at 12:00 AM.
Old 2003-04-15, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
drsomewhere
First Sergeant

whew, what a long thread, i hope everyone is satisfied
Old 2003-04-15, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Camping Carl
Major

Don't take my word for it, glsauron. I'm not in beta yet, and it's just my opinion.

It's tricky tho, say you want to balance the vanu infantry weapons overall with other empires. But then again, if the vs have also got the best max suit (many people think so), is that fair? And then does that mean their vehicals should be at a slight disadvantage to compensate?

You really need an unbiased perspective to judge this, which obviously few of us have. Naturally you don't like your enemy to have an edge in any area, cause when they kill you, it's unfair right?

Vanu still suck....
Old 2003-04-15, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Wake
Private

3: Gauss is too powerful at range. Open the CoF for it a little (+-10-15^). At short range wont matter, but at long it'll be useless (its a shotgun!)
Hehe sorry bud the Gauss Rifle is well a rifle. It's more accurate than the cycler but it has less bullets than the cycler in the clip and the gauss is not as good as the cycler indoors either.

And for whoever said that the boosters can get a reaver outta range on the striker...it does the same on the Phoenix. Also for all those out there that don't kno...there is a maximum range on the Phoenix so it's not like we're firing across the map destroying ppl at a warpgate or something. It goes for about 5 seconds and then explodes.
Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical. [12:17]

We are not fit to lead an army on the march unless we are familiar with the face of the country--its mountains and forests, its pitfalls and precipices, its marshes and swamps. [7:13]
-Sun Tzu
Old 2003-04-15, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
glsauron
Sergeant

*oops!* goes back to edit. Gauss or the jackhammer we talking about? Gauss should have range and accuracy. But make it have trouble hurting poeple at short range. Like too much power, just rips through with almsot no health damage and only light armor dmg. Jackhammer should have huge amounts of short range punch...but spread too much over long range to do much damage.
Old 2003-04-15, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

From the description, wasn't the Pulsar supposed to be super-accurate (for an assault rifle, anyway)? I've been hearing now how much it sucks. What happened?
Old 2003-04-16, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by NeoTassadar
From the description, wasn't the Pulsar supposed to be super-accurate (for an assault rifle, anyway)? I've been hearing now how much it sucks. What happened?
There was a bug that caused the pulsar to do less damage than it was supposed to.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-04-16, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

As far as acuracy, the gauss is slightly more accurate which helps at long range, however, the CoF on the cycler gets bigger slower (the cycler has better recoil than the gauss).

With better recoil, faster RoF, and almost as much damage, the cycler pwns a gauss user at close- point blank range.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-04-16, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Peanut
Private

It boggles me how people who aren't in the beta think that they know detailed specifics of what should be changed about gameplay.
Old 2003-04-16, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
glsauron
Sergeant

Originally posted by Lexington_Steele
With better recoil, faster RoF, and almost as much damage, the cycler pwns a gauss user at close- point blank range.
I was gonna say the cycler should own a Gauss at short range, as its catagoried next to the JH, but since it's not...
None of the TR weps should do anywhere near the dmg per shot of the equive NC wep. Thats why they have RoF and the NC doesn't...Balance dmg against RoF. VS gets med RoF, med dmg, and better speed.

Peanut- All my stuff is from what Ive heard and I *specifically* said at the start of my post Im not Beta
Old 2003-04-16, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Cygnus
Private

Fix the striker lock on, so that one can get a lock on any target 1/2 or more visible (ie only half-behind cover, etc.) Also, make it lock onto phalanxes.

After instituting the change, we all observe how this changes gameplay! If changing the striker lock-on to make sense also means that it is too powerful, we then proceed to increase the delay between shots, reduce the damage, lower the projectile life/speed, etc.

Increase phoenix travel speed, just enough to make hitting mobile buggies from medium range very difficult (jesus, try hitting a buggy with a lancer/striker).

Increase projectile speed on all Vanu weapons.

Increase jackhammer refire in both modes.

Increase Chaingun CoF while running.

Lower gauss refire slightly. (slightly, I say)

Make the mag-rider dangerous. I mean it. Dangerous.

Thresher too.

Yes, the prowler as well.

That's about it.

It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed
"to whom it may concern" you've got to worry about.

Old 2003-04-16, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

^oy the magrider :/

Now I'm not complaining here because I like the cycler very much and it seems to work out fine for me, but did anybody check the validity of RocketFodder's damage tables that he made up a few weeks ago? It showed that the gauss had a ROF that was almost exactly the same as the cycler, slightly slower, but only by 0.2 shots per second or something like that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion