Destructible Terminals - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hating Hamma for playing techno since 2002
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-31, 04:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Question Destructible Terminals

Lately I have been playing Infiltrator a lot (with the Artemis in cqc) and loving it (except the magazine to small for its damage output and speed, extended magazine cert please?)
There is only one thing I have a major probelm with: people destroying equipment and vehicle terminals. These things can give your attack a major advantage but some f.... friendlies keep destroying these for some puny little xp and there is no way to bring them back.
Do you think there is any way to fix this or am I just the only one having this problem? I have some ideas but not sure which one would work.

- Remove xp for destroying terminals
- Highly increase bullet and vehicle damage resistance, make it less resistant to c4, proximity mines and the like
- Give engineers the possibility to repair enemy terminals (without giving xp to avoid exploiting) so that infiltrators can hack them
- Make hacked terminals being used by both factions (set them to the NS state instead of faction specific, maybe make faction specific hacking a higher cert level). Although this is just more a random thought, less related to the issue

Ideas would be welcome, as long as I am not the only one having this issue
I kinda have the same problem with turrets, but there at least I can understand the issue. Although I think the "engineer idea" could also be applicable here.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2012-12-31 at 04:48 AM.
Old 2012-12-31, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Destructible Terminals

I feel that scorched earth is a pretty valid tactic. It also gives the attacking saboteur a pair of options - does the enemy need an infiltrator to fix this, or an engineer? At a peripheral vehicle point to a big fight, that's a useful decision.
Old 2012-12-31, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Raka Maru
Major

I don't know how this would work, but maybe a cert for nano-fix-and-hack for infiltraitor?
Old 2012-12-31, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I think the problem is xp being given for destroying them. I've seen people go to each terminal in a base or outpost and destroy everyone, there's no fight, and they don't become an engi to fix them after. It's just xp farming, which there is all ready way too much of in this game. Destroying terminals should be left for the people who do it for a tactical reason of keeping something from the enemy at a certain time, not just something for everyone to do when ever they see it because it gives xp
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-12-31, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rossum
Private

Maybe an infiltrator can purchase a little device with infantry resources that can be used to repair and hack destroyed enemy terminals (or friendly terminals for that matter)? Basically doing the repair-and-hack thing but it costs resources to do so. Would prevent them from carrying proximity mines until they switch out, but that just adds specialization to it.
Old 2012-12-31, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

@ OP

NO

Sometimes hacking is the best tactic sometimes destroying is the best tactic.
And often a non-inf is providing a valuable service by blowing terminals - they should get the minor reward they do.
If you dont like the people around you are doing - join an organized outfit. Ussually they can take care of business before many lonewolfs show up.

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2012-12-31 at 04:11 PM.
Old 2012-12-31, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
Lately I have been playing Infiltrator a lot (with the Artemis in cqc) and loving it (except the magazine to small for its damage output and speed, extended magazine cert please?)
There is only one thing I have a major probelm with: people destroying equipment and vehicle terminals. These things can give your attack a major advantage but some f.... friendlies keep destroying these for some puny little xp and there is no way to bring them back.
Do you think there is any way to fix this or am I just the only one having this problem? I have some ideas but not sure which one would work.

- Remove xp for destroying terminals
- Highly increase bullet and vehicle damage resistance, make it less resistant to c4, proximity mines and the like
- Give engineers the possibility to repair enemy terminals (without giving xp to avoid exploiting) so that infiltrators can hack them
- Make hacked terminals being used by both factions (set them to the NS state instead of faction specific, maybe make faction specific hacking a higher cert level). Although this is just more a random thought, less related to the issue

Ideas would be welcome, as long as I am not the only one having this issue
I kinda have the same problem with turrets, but there at least I can understand the issue. Although I think the "engineer idea" could also be applicable here.
I agree that it's stupid to destroy them if you can hack them. But I don't think anything should change in this aria. Players most be able to play stupidly too. I prefer it to be the enemy rather then my own faction but other then to try to educate them about the situation, nothing much can be done or should be done about it.
Old 2013-01-01, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Suitepee
Corporal

People not realising it's even more effective to hack a terminal, then destroy it so the enemy can't do anything about it.

At least I'm pretty sure the terminal can't be repaired/hacked by the enemy while it's destroyed for your team, unless there's a base capture transition.
Old 2013-01-01, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Suitepee View Post
People not realising it's even more effective to hack a terminal, then destroy it so the enemy can't do anything about it.

At least I'm pretty sure the terminal can't be repaired/hacked by the enemy while it's destroyed for your team, unless there's a base capture transition.
That does not work anymore. If you hack a terminal and then destroy it it will reverse back to the faction that own the base at the time.
Old 2013-01-01, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
@ OP

NO

Sometimes hacking is the best tactic sometimes destroying is the best tactic.
And often a non-inf is providing a valuable service by blowing terminals - they should get the minor reward they do.
If you dont like the people around you are doing - join an organized outfit. Ussually they can take care of business before many lonewolfs show up.
The problem is not that I have a problem with it being a valid tactic, I have a problem with there always being some idiots oneshotting the terminals with their Decimators first thing as soon as they run into a base.
I would have no problems if they do it for tactical reasons, but they don't. They blow it up for the xp, not because it makes sense in the situation. Especially since many of the casuals very often lack the awareness to decide when it makes sense and when it does not.
I am okay with players being "stupid", but rewarding them for it simply baffles me. With giving them free xp for very little effort the game actually teaches them that this is the right way to do it.

And I do play in an organized outfit and I do not have this problem there but I really don't think that the magic "join an outfit" response that is put up so very often helps the game. This is NOT how most of the people play or will ever play, they are just casuals joining for some fun and even organized outfits have to play with them from time to time.
Old 2013-01-01, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Figment
Lieutenant General

Destroying objectives in game should not result in exp. It replaces tactical use with exp whoring through the reward incentive beyond the in-game effect.

*coughs*PS1 hacking rules anyone?*coughs*

Oh wait, PS1 mentioned, must be... "obsolete". At least it would be tactical rather than cheap.
Old 2013-01-02, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

you are all overlooking something fairly major here for the infiltrator's role as a saboteur and ~tactics~. I won't mention it though because I don't want higby and co to 'fix' this tactic to prevent people from having to think about base assaults because it also serves as a way for defenders to say FUCK YOU to massive zergs. Til higby and co show they are cool with defenders being able to hold out, keeping as many secrets as possible is a good idea.

all im going to say is, for those that know about PS1's history, there are lessons higby and co tossed out that now benefit the small guy, precisely because higby and co don't fully understand how their game functions. Stop thinking in a linear, choice driven path. Start thinking in FUCK YOU terms.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-01-02 at 01:43 AM.
Old 2013-01-02, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I also think it´s okay how it is.

There is nothing terrible about it.

Enemy hack Terminal - your Team Destroy´s it.(Because Enemys could spawn a sundy ...)
You can not repair the Terminal now.

You never challange a Base alone, so,...NO @ OP
Old 2013-01-02, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

I think more people play as an engineer, so hacking is the better alternative (and it is still rendered operational for your faction). However, in a combat situation where I am unable to see an infil in the immediate vicinity of said terminal (ie: vehicle garage) then I will destroy the vehicle terminal and leave only one up in order to ensure the enemy cannot slip a fast one by us and pull an AMS.

It is purely a situational thing.
Old 2013-01-02, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rago View Post

Enemy hack Terminal - your Team Destroy´s it.(Because Enemys could spawn a sundy ...)
You can not repair the Terminal now.

You never challange a Base alone, so,...NO @ OP
That... I don't know if it just doesn't make any sense or I simply do not get the argument behind it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion