Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shizzolate this thang!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Talking Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays

This is an idea, but it requires community discussion. I've placed it here instead of in the ideas section for that reason.

For years I've seen games tack on Xmas decorations on or around Xmas. Even old single-player pre-internet games. Easter, St. Patrick's Day, these also get a lot of representation in games. Hanukkah is actually a celebration of a military victory, so it makes way more sense for war games than a holiday about being nice and sharing gifts. I understand that Xmas is pretty widely celebrated in most places where PlanetSide 2 will be played, but I don't think that is a reason to just follow along with usual status quo for holidays in games.

I want to ask that we see fairness in holiday activities and celebrations. If we have Xmas, have Hanukkah as well. Heck, throw in Festivus too. If we do St. Patrick's Day, do Purim as well (holiday about battling oppression, celebrated by getting drunk). If Easter, do Passover as well (which is also about battling oppression). And don't stop there, include other holidays that are not often represented, just so long as folks who want that holiday represented actually come forward and ask for it.

Otherwise, I'd recommend looking into entirely new holidays. Why should Auraxians be tethered to the old Earth holidays? Discovery Day (when Auraxis was discovered), Touchdown Day (first humans on Auraxis), those should be holidays. December could be full of candles and gifts to represent the celebration between Discovery Day and Touchdown Day (which essentially became January 1st of Year 1 on Auraxis). Maybe for St. Patrick's Day and Purim is the day of celebration when the first NS structure was completed amid early TR and NC conflict, complete with commemorative green beer and triangular cookies. New holidays don't even have to be based on current ones, either.

I'd like to ask for the community to weigh in on this topic and add suggestions, comments, concerns, questions, etc. Thanks!
-
-
-
Old 2012-07-18, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
The Admiral
Private

Re: Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays

IF you were to celebrate every random bs holiday in the world you would be doing it every day have fun with that. lol liberals.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
The Kush
Captain

I agree. In fact fuck all the holidays we have. Let's make PS2 have it's own holidays.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rabb
Contributor
Sergeant

I hate all the tacky crap that gets added to games for holidays.

It kind of makes sense in WoW but for planetside I think it spoils the immersion.

||| Facebook | Twitter | Forums |||
Old 2012-07-18, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Boomhowser
Corporal

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin View Post
Why should Auraxians be tethered to the old Earth holidays!
Because they are still humans.

2ndly its not about our characters celebrating the various holidays its about us the player celebrating the holidays by doing the things we love i.e blowing each other up in a festive mood.

aside from that its good to see the ideas still flooding in
Old 2012-07-18, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
JoeDragon
Sergeant

I think in FPS games like TF2 the holiday events are pretty awesome. However in PS2 I don't see them fitting in. Maybe like XP boosts or some kind of sale on certain nationally celebrated holidays might be cool. But no xmas lights on the bases or a Santa Liberator flying around that you can shoot down for gifts. (Though to me that sounds super fun)
Old 2012-07-18, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
DrShadowSML
Private

Since three empires are at war with eachother, I think it shouldn't be feasible to have holidays in the middle of shooting back and forth.
But there should be events once in a rare while to spice things up, but more general events not tied to gifts and whatnot.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rabb
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Boomhowser View Post
Because they are still humans.

2ndly its not about our characters celebrating the various holidays its about us the player celebrating the holidays by doing the things we love i.e blowing each other up in a festive mood.

aside from that its good to see the ideas still flooding in
Let the player celebrate all they want with there own events in or out of game. What I hate making everyone run around in xmas hats and drop presents it's just stupid.

||| Facebook | Twitter | Forums |||
Old 2012-07-18, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Firearms
Sergeant

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Fuck Christmas nobody rose from the grave. Religions are bs.
Classic.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

I think For PS2 The Santa from Futurama should visit.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

There are more people who enjoy the events than get irritated by them. Get over it. :|

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
I agree. In fact fuck all the holidays we have. Let's make PS2 have it's own holidays.
This. Games that simply use real holidays are boringggg
Old 2012-07-18, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
JoeDragon
Sergeant

Actually after thinking about it, I would like to see some subtle things like Holiday themed Decals and Hood Ornaments for sale on the store. I'd pay a couple bucks for a Pumpkin Decal or a Snowman hood ornament.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
HEISTT
Corporal

Originally Posted by JoeDragon View Post
I think in FPS games like TF2 the holiday events are pretty awesome. However in PS2 I don't see them fitting in. Maybe like XP boosts or some kind of sale on certain nationally celebrated holidays might be cool. But no xmas lights on the bases or a Santa Liberator flying around that you can shoot down for gifts. (Though to me that sounds super fun)
I'm imagining Higby in a special invincible Santa Claus Galaxy flying around Auraxis dropping various gift boxes around the battlefield. Gifts could include: cert points, xp boosts, camo's (rare), resources and a few which blow itself (and the user) up. Best. Christmas. Ever.
Old 2012-07-18, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
JoeDragon
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HEISTT View Post
I'm imagining Higby in a special invincible Santa Claus Galaxy flying around Auraxis dropping various gift boxes around the battlefield. Gifts could include: cert points, xp boosts, camo's (rare), resources and a few which blow itself (and the user) up. Best. Christmas. Ever.
Oh believe me, if they actually did end up adding in stuff like this, I'd enjoy the heck out of it. Also, some of the presents should be proximity mines. :P
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion