We shall fight in the dark. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of: Original Chainsaw Knife.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: We shall fight in the dark.

Pulsar had lights allover it, willbe just like playing darkzone or whatever you americans call fighting with lazer pistols in a darkroom.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
Hackers will hack no matter what. If it's not one, it's another.

Yeah but turning up Gamma isn't a hack. No more than turning down shadows to see people in dark corners better is. It's just all on the developers shoulders to make sure people cant gain advantage this way. Most of the time they can't which is why that night combat feature gets left out.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Yeah and would be cool to get atleast some periods of quite dark areas. Not like night in WoW where its still bright, but real dark. And yeah could use the moon phases to keep those times much rarer. And tweak the day/night cycle so that its outta sync with real time (aka 22 earth hours = 24 auraxian hours). So if you play at the same time everynight your timer relative to game time shifts each day so that its sometimes day and sometimes night. Those 24 auraxian hours should be 14 day 8 night and 1 each for sunrise and sunset. Keeps most fights in the daylight where they would play better overall but still gives the night experience.

Now having a decent amount of night, atleast if you do real night, not "fake night", would require the proper headlights/flashlights etc. Honestly tho with the tech they have and what you can expect from the avg gamer pc wise, i see fake night much more likely. Atleast i hope they can find some way to give us some darker fights now and then.

What was the cont they had really dark for awhile? I know it was a desert one. Was it the old Oshur? I remember it gettin lightened up a patch or two later and i was disappointed.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-07-11 at 12:37 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Zulthus
Colonel

This sounds really cool. Night fights would probably not only be fun, but look pretty amazing too.
Old 2011-07-11, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
CutterJohn
Colonel

Don't see much point in having night. It will just be compensated for with some night vision device, which will be the stereotypical green.

Thats fine for a gimmick in some levels of an FPS, but half the time on auraxis will be nighttime. I don't care to play half the game with a washed out green with simulated lines so it looks like googles. Looks like shit.

I'll take a night/twilight cycle please.
Old 2011-07-11, 01:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Don't see much point in having night. It will just be compensated for with some night vision device, which will be the stereotypical green.

Thats fine for a gimmick in some levels of an FPS, but half the time on auraxis will be nighttime. I don't care to play half the game with a washed out green with simulated lines so it looks like googles. Looks like shit.

I'll take a night/twilight cycle please.
Good point. Maybe they can say that Auraxis orbits a binary star system so daytime is 4x as long as night. Just thinking about all the lighting effects on that new engine gets me pretty excited about night fights.
Old 2011-07-11, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Good point. Maybe they can say that Auraxis orbits a binary star system so daytime is 4x as long as night. Just thinking about all the lighting effects on that new engine gets me pretty excited about night fights.
That could work. Have a big, close orbiting moon, and 1 of 4 cycles its a new moon and very dark, the rest of the time it could be twilight as it is now. Day, twilight, day, twilight, day, twilight, day, night.
Old 2011-07-13, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
nathanebht
Sergeant

Sunset sweeping across the map, light levels falling to true black. Weapon flashes, beams flying, blasts briefly illuminating. Vehicle headlights moving, search lights sweeping the dark. Time passes and dawn starts rising in the eastern sectors.
Old 2011-07-13, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Vancha
Colonel

I like the idea of having both a "light" night and a "dark" night to appease all types.

I've linked this picture before in threads about night-play, but this is the kind of darkness I'd like to see.

http://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/images/3/38/80nights.jpg

The kind of spectacle you'd get to see with the contrast of bullet tracers and explosions would be fantastic, not to mention seeing the silhouettes of galaxies drifting above you and such.

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-13 at 12:47 AM.
Old 2011-07-13, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yeah. Just no night vision IMO. I don't want green screen.
Old 2011-07-13, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha;572949[URL="http://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/images/3/38/80nights.jpg"
http://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/images/3/38/80nights.jpg[/URL]
So how exactly do you fight in an environment like that?

There would have to be night vision. And then we're back to the game looking like this:

Night vision looks awful. It works, and you can see, hence why its used, but its still very ugly. I see nothing good from making the nights so dark you have to use night vision to see. It has no real effect on gameplay, its just a stylistic choice to make the game look horrible.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-07-13 at 12:55 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-13, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Perhaps in PS2 the headlights on the vehicles and MAX and such have functional use?

This could open up new implant options for low-light vision, flash-bang effects, more effective tracer-fire, etc.

But it probably shouldn't be too dark, poeple will just crank up their gamma as ghetto-night vision. But I suppose there's ways for that to not affect things too much.

They could also just do reduced visibily with cloud/fog effects.
Old 2011-07-13, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
CutterJohn
Colonel

I don't think the engine could handle several hundred light sources at once. If it doesn't, then a light will illuminate a small cone for you, as per normal, and make you a target for everyone.

And if night vision where an implant, it would just mean everyone pretty much has to sacrifice an implant slot to it, since night time will occur every couple hours. Now we just have 2 implants at night instead of 3, and get to view the game in an amazing washed out green color.
Old 2011-07-13, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Tikuto
Major

Thumbs up Re: We shall fight in the dark.

Helmets with auto-night-vision goggles.

How fucking awesome would that be, really?

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2011-07-13, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

There are plenty of ways to let you see without the need for green crap vision. :-)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion