Window shopping build, will order once PS2 Beta is released - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I like your socks, might I fondle them?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-07-13, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Re: Window shopping build, will order once PS2 Beta is released

Originally Posted by Roidster View Post
nice build,sure hope you dont have any heat issues with that small case
None so far! It's running dead silent and cold. Even blows cool air out the sides, the only heat is coming from the video card...and even that's luke-warm.

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Glad you resolved the issues Pete. Really impressed by this build you did. I don't often see mini-itx ones.
Thanks man! I'm pretty impressed with myself last time I built a rig was 2008-ish. I love the SSD for booting up too. Usually I have a tendency to just leave my computer on 24/7 because it's faster to recover from sleep mode than waiting on boot times, but this SSD boots from full off in <15 seconds. The windows logo doesn't even finish loading and my desktop is logged on and ready as soon as it displays. With everything maxed out at 1920x1080p Unigine and 3dMark11 both gave me around 20-25 FPS, and just dropping anti-aliasing down to 4x instead of 8x shot my FPS up to 70+. I'm confident I'll be able to max out Planetside's settings and maintain a smooth framerate.

The mini-ITX form factor did present some challenges with cable management, but nothing major since there's overall less to deal with. I think I could still do a much cleaner job on it, but I may save that for next weekend in case I get bored. I'll be sure to update this thread once I do redo the wiring, and I'm still debating between the Noctua NH C14 or AXP-140 heatsinks. Both severely impact wiring and room inside the case, but also provide stable temperatures for overclocking up to 5ghz. The GPU I'm not sure I'll OC until I make the swap to a watercooling block (which frees up far more space). My hesitation to watercool stems from the strong possibility I'll be moving around a lot over the next year though. We'll see. I DID think about getting a laser-etched NC logo into the brushed aluminum on the front though....
Old 2012-07-13, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Bags
Lieutenant General

The 670 OC's itself. mine goes up to 1200mhz Core clock while gaming.
Old 2012-07-14, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Ganymede
Contributor
Private

If your working with a 1000.00 budget that says your limited or want to be limited for this toy, not implying that you're poor or anything. I would NEVER recommend overclocking to somebody who is not willing to be able to replace a broke GPU/CPU at any time. Some cards come stock overclocked but stay safe.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum