New Exp model--- BAD IDEA - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's Hamma!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-21, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Stregone
Private

Base defense is not rewarded at all. Right now only capping is rewarded, so you get people zerging bases, standing around for 15 minutes, and then evacuating the base and zerging the next one down the line. If you ask me, this sucks.
Old 2003-05-21, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Actually, counterhacking has superior yields to the actual cap on an exp-per-time basis. If you really want to get to maximum BR quickly under the system, you need two teams from opposing empires to cooperate and trade a base back and forth.

As an often cynnical bastard, I suspect that we won't see real experience changes until people start really exploiting this (if they aren't already).
Old 2003-05-21, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
instant
Private

Originally posted by Stregone
Base defense is not rewarded at all. Right now only capping is rewarded, so you get people zerging bases, standing around for 15 minutes, and then evacuating the base and zerging the next one down the line. If you ask me, this sucks.
I meant base-unhack :-)
Old 2003-05-21, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Scarab
Private

Rewarding rehacks doesn't reward good defense though, it rewards bad defense. You actually want the enemy to come in and hack your base so you can get the exp rehacking it. Hense it doesn't reward true defense...which is keeping the enemy away from the command console altogether. That currently has no reward.
Old 2003-05-21, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
instant
Private

Originally posted by Airlift
Actually, counterhacking has superior yields to the actual cap on an exp-per-time basis. If you really want to get to maximum BR quickly under the system, you need two teams from opposing empires to cooperate and trade a base back and forth.

As an often cynnical bastard, I suspect that we won't see real experience changes until people start really exploiting this (if they aren't already).
Hmm,, maybe I should pick up two copies of PlanetSide.. BR20 in a day ;-)
Old 2003-05-21, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Stregone
Private

Oh, okay I still stand by my "This sucks" comment though!
Old 2003-05-21, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Originally posted by Hamma
I for one dont play the game for XP, so if i get one or twenty per kill I could care less

I know I am not the only one that has that view. If i locked threads I disagree with it would be a quiet place. Just stating my opinon like everyone else

You mean there'd be no threads left.
Old 2003-05-21, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Yesterday I let a cloaker finish his hack before I put a bullet in his soft head. Instead of the 12 points I got for the kill, I was richly rewarded with over 2000 just for being a bad empire citizen.
Old 2003-05-21, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
vawlk
Corporal

Originally posted by TurboJesus
Goddamnit!! Pay attention, I'll space it out so you can under stand.
EXP
IN SQUADS
SHOULD NOT
BE DIVIDED
BY THE NUMBER
OF PEOPLE IN IT

There, thats what the post is about. I'm not gonna be in a fucking squad if i can get 10 times the kill xp of what i get in a squad, then, once i reach say, br5-6-7 then i would join a squad, but not in any of the XP hole supporting roles.
1/10 * 10 = 1

Simply put, if you are in a squad of 10 and everyone is killing people, you get the same XP as going solo since your squad will be killing at 10x the rate at 1/10 the exp. Do the math...

So unless you are superuber and get most the kills in your squad then there's nothing to complain about.

But then there are support players in squads that don't kill...well the also give an extra 20% in squads to make up for them lackeys. Plus you get the benefit of people covering your back, healing you, not having to wait for someone to bring an ant after yer hack fails due to power, fast transport to next base...etc.

A well formed squad can easilly out XP any solo player.
Old 2003-05-21, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
vawlk
Corporal

Originally posted by Hijinks
Right, it is actually faster if you are willing to play follow the cap.

You are wrong, thats exactly what they are promoting.

THAT is what they are rewarding, so that is what we did.
I'm not denying that...I just don't think that is their plan for the long run. We can all see the problems, yet everyone must exploit the XP issues as fast as possible to be that first BR20. I just wish more people would just play the damn game the way it was meant to be played. You can still complain about the lack of XP for certain things.

but I was sorta in the same boat as you. I have no problem sitting around defending a base. I don't care about the caps. If I am at a base within 1 hop from an enemy base, I try to hang around, but in most cases everyone leaves to go get the XP of the next hack....in those situations I'd rather just fight at the next base...as a sniper I often find myself outside the SOI so I'm just getting kill xp anyway....

It also might be because the servers haven't filled up yet. Once there is enough people to form full fleged battle lines across continents, the "follow the hack" game may go away...hopefully.

I have a serious pipe-dream problem
Old 2003-05-22, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Banditman
Private

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vawlk
1/10 * 10 = 1

Simply put, if you are in a squad of 10 and everyone is killing people, you get the same XP as going solo since your squad will be killing at 10x the rate at 1/10 the exp. Do the math...
[QUOTE]
You are assuming that because there are 10 players in your squad there are 10x as many enemies available to be killed. If there are, for instance, only 5 enemies available to be killed you are better off on your own.

Certainly, your squad can seek out those circumstances where the enemy greatly outnumber you so as to maximize your kill numbers and make that experience math work. However, by doing so, you typically take yourself out of situations where you will be able to accomplish a base cap.

You also similarly assume that each player in the squad is contributing equally to the kill numbers. This is also a faulty assumption since, at least in beta, squads were typically composed of a number of "support" players - players who killed less but helped in other ways (Engy, CE, stealther/hacker, trans pilot).
Old 2003-05-22, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

A few things...

So BEP in groups is now split EQ style? One of the reasons I wanted to play this game so badly is that there was no penalty for grouping AND the power difference between powergamers and casual players wasn't nearly as large as other games... but... it seems that's not the case now. High ranking people don't want to play with lower ranking people. Yesterday (Day after everyone should own the game?) there was someone recruiting people BR5 and up... Okay, BR5 isn't that hard to get, right? I mean I got it in Beta really quickly so... oh that's right! Exp is really hard to get killing people now. Well, at least it's shared equally though, eh? ... It's not anymore? So you're telling me that I'll never get to play with half of my empire because I'm too low and if I manage to scrounge together a group of incompetent newbs/n00bs then all of my kills will be split 1/10?

Haha... I can see how people didn't buy the game now.

To toot my pipe and/or horn, I'm a good player. I was surprised that yesterday my play session was fairly fun despite the current conditions. The players were mostly new (that's okay though - THEY WERE WILLING to LEARN! ), and we tried to explain things to them as best we could. It turned out that me and a MAX got most of the kills during that time. We were both saddened that the exp was much lower (neither of us were aware of the exp penalties for groups now) but thought it was an okay change. People shouldn't level mad-like I guess... until we capped a base. Woo boy. We got 4k for our first one, which was enough to ding me luckily (had enough of those 12 exp kills I guess... ). Anyway, the squad eventually left because most of them were east coasters for some odd reason and it was past their bedtime. I then joined another group and was yet again one of the leading players in kills for my squad (having a Lancer as opposed to a craptacular Pulsar helps, though). Despite the lack of BEP, I was having fun with these guys, despite our having to RUN to every single target we chose due to no one having any kind of vehicle cert...

The funny thing I noticed was that I got most of my kills without the help of my squad. They were either KIA, MIA, or JIA (Jacking-off In Action). Why, oh why, will I want to be in a squad now? I can get the EXP caps without being in a squad, and that IS where most of the squad exp is coming from anyway... So what is my incentive to group for the time being? What kind of reward do I get for helping the newer players become accustomed to the game? That's right. Nothing. Nothing but an empty experience bar.

So I'll test this out today, see where I go. I'll just solo kill and run around where the other people are making base caps. With any kind of luck I should make BR8. Who knows though? I won't limit myself just to that.

Last edited by Zarparchior; 2003-05-22 at 01:08 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion